Author Topic: New Video card Which output port?  (Read 412 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
New Video card Which output port?
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
I have the HD 7750 video card coming from newegg.  It has a DVI, DisplayPort, and a HDMI output.  I have the old card hooked up to a HD TV with a VGA input.

Does any of the three outputs on the HD 7750 have an advantage as far as AH goes? 

I think I even have an old DVI to HDMI cable left over from an old HD TV that died a few years back.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: New Video card Which output port?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
I have the HD 7750 video card coming from newegg.  It has a DVI, DisplayPort, and a HDMI output.  I have the old card hooked up to a HD TV with a VGA input.

Does any of the three outputs on the HD 7750 have an advantage as far as AH goes? 

I think I even have an old DVI to HDMI cable left over from an old HD TV that died a few years back.

Nope. All the same except HDMI can carry sound so if your monitor has built in speakers, those will work.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
Thanks Titanic and thanks again for your input on the low power video card.

I have been wanting to throw away my very good but several year old, DVI to HDMI HDTV cable.  Now I can use it since I will still use my good Sony PC speakers.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
WARNING!!!  Do not install the sound driver for the ATI/AMD video card if you are not going to use it for your primary sound!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Thank you Skussy for the catch on the drivers.  I probably would have.  Is that a question that comes up in the installation CD?  I will do some reading before I install.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
Just remember that if you use the HDMI cable you will NOT get sound to your tv. I'd hate to see you  :bhead trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Pulling your sound off of the "sound card" on your computer is a much better option, and using the "on-board" sound card the best. Using the HDMI sound off the video card will just cause you problems.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Just remember that if you use the HDMI cable you will NOT get sound to your tv. I'd hate to see you  :bhead trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Pulling your sound off of the "sound card" on your computer is a much better option, and using the "on-board" sound card the best. Using the HDMI sound off the video card will just cause you problems.

Really? Sounds like a problem with the TV or your PC. I take my PC and plug it into my Samsung 48" HDTV once every few weeks for movie night with the girlfriend. I have to switch from a DVI to HDMI cable every time, works fine for me. Just plug and play.

semp

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »
Skuzzy was pointing out this...

WARNING!!!  Do not install the sound driver for the ATI/AMD video card if you are not going to use it for your primary sound!

If you don't load the sound drivers on the VIDEO card you will not be able to get sound off the HDMI cable to the TV.

Skuzzy has pointed out a number of times where conflicts can happen between the sound card and the sound on the video card.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
Wait...now I'm confused.

When I use my monitor, I use a pair of cheapo $20 speakers plugged into my onboard jack. When I use my HDTV, I just use the HDMI cable.

Never have I installed any sound drivers unless it was automatically included in a Catalyst Control Center download. Just pointing out that I never had any problems switching back and forth between HDMI and onboard sound. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones?   :headscratch:

semp

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
On my HD6970 i used HDMI using TV speakers and when i plugged my USB headphones it came then instead.

I could have both on in game by using options section in AH.

I do the same with my GTX680.

(Then again I don't know if the software in my G35 headphones able me to do this?)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:31:28 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:05:53 AM »
By default, if you chose the normal installation, the ATI driver installer will install those sound drivers.  If you are not going to use the sound from your television speakers, then chose the custom install and do not install those sound drivers.

They do introduce conflicts, especially when the video card and sound chip use the same interrupt.  Some of the typical problems are frame rate stutters, clicks and/or static in the sound, occasional stability problems, and even network packet loss can be attributed to those drivers.

Does it all happen in every computer?  No.  The trigger for most of it seems to be how the interrupts are being shared.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:10:44 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »
By default, if you chose the normal installation, the ATI driver installer will install those sound drivers.  If you are not going to use the sound from your television speakers, then chose the custom install and do not install those sound drivers.
. . .

That is what I will do then.  I wasn't going to use the  TV sound anyway  since I get better sound from the PC speakers so if I can avoid a conflict I will do the custom install.

Thanks everyone for the replies.