Author Topic: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
Re: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 01:20:05 PM »
3840X1024 (3-19") with a TH2GO

I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
Thank you all for the inputs and perspective.  Definitely not one size fits all.  Plenty of advice on line via Google search for hooking up computers to big screen TVs, so it looks doable.

I've had 42-inch gaming experience with Playstation 3 and enjoyed it.  A lot of the immersion seems to come simply by being at the optimum distance from the monitor no matter what size.

Aces High Mission Big Screen is on my To-Try list.  :airplane:
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Thank you all for the inputs and perspective.  Definitely not one size fits all.  Plenty of advice on line via Google search for hooking up computers to big screen TVs, so it looks doable.

I've had 42-inch gaming experience with Playstation 3 and enjoyed it.  A lot of the immersion seems to come simply by being at the optimum distance from the monitor no matter what size.

Aces High Mission Big Screen is on my To-Try list. :airplane:

Just try allow a minimum of 9ft viewing distance.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
Size is irrelevant when your screen is all around you :D

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
I remember when I went from a 17" 1024x768 to a 20" screen 1680x1050,what a difference. I'm thinking about ordering a 24" 1920x1200 soon.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
I have a 19 inch monitor.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
Using a Mitsubishi 57" LCD DLP HiDef projection TV.  It's on a stand at the end of my desk.  Sits about 4 feet in front of me.  DVI hookup and at max res game looks great!  I was using a 60" before, Panasonic, but the bulb went out after a few weeks (it was a display model) and they took it back, no questions.  (Sam's Club)  That's when I went with the Mitsu 57".

I've got my eyes on the Mitsu 73" LCD projection TV next.  Just waiting for the price to drop some.

Rob  
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
My brother played AH2 on a projector, jesus it was so sweet.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
Size is irrelevant when your screen is all around you :D

(Image removed from quote.)

linky?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
LCD Projector. The image is around 8 feet or 9 feet across, running at 1024x768 (the projector's native resolution) with 8X anti-aliasing to smooth out the jaggies. If you attended the convention last year, then you saw more-or-less how I typically fly, though at home the image is a little bigger, a little higher up, and a little farther away.

When combined with the TrackIR for views and a surround-sound headphone set, the immersion factor is very high. Your eyes get to focus farther out and the image sort of gets to wash all around you.

Needless to say you sort of need to rearrange your computer room, and I built an open cockpit to make things easier, but the result is incredibly comfortable and easy to look at for hours on end.

Lamp life is between 2000 and 3000 hours, and I only play 15 hours a week or so. My last projector failed after 10 years of use and the lamp still had 25% of its life left. The only real problem is that native resolution is pretty low on projectors, so you need AA to smooth things out, but a modern PC can generate hundreds of frames per second in AH at 1024.

I wouldn't fly any other way.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »
LCD Projector. The image is around 8 feet or 9 feet across, running at 1024x768 (the projector's native resolution) with 8X anti-aliasing to smooth out the jaggies. If you attended the convention last year, then you saw more-or-less how I typically fly, though at home the image is a little bigger, a little higher up, and a little farther away.

When combined with the TrackIR for views and a surround-sound headphone set, the immersion factor is very high. Your eyes get to focus farther out and the image sort of gets to wash all around you.

Needless to say you sort of need to rearrange your computer room, and I built an open cockpit to make things easier, but the result is incredibly comfortable and easy to look at for hours on end.

Lamp life is between 2000 and 3000 hours, and I only play 15 hours a week or so. My last projector failed after 10 years of use and the lamp still had 25% of its life left. The only real problem is that native resolution is pretty low on projectors, so you need AA to smooth things out, but a modern PC can generate hundreds of frames per second in AH at 1024.

I wouldn't fly any other way.

-Llama
Woo! Glad there is another projector junkie!
Though my projector is only around 6 feet since there was limited space in the office.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
I have a 19 inch monitor.

Hercules or CGA? :D

headtracking on the z800 in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQ9HFiRY_0

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae4000_projector_review.htm

1080P is magic

• Gaming Mode. Video delay is not a good thing for gaming, and audio delay does not fix the problem. So the AE3000 and AE4000 both have a feature which is not called Gaming Mode, but could be. It is called Frame Response, and it lets you adjust the speed of frame delivery from the buffer. Your options are "Normal" and "Fast." "Normal" will provide normal video processing and results in a frame delay of about 3 frames (assuming Frame Creation is off). "Fast" will eliminate some of the standard video processing overhead and cuts frame delay to about 1.5 frames. There is no way for a video picture to appear instantaneously with zero delay on any digital video display, so the Fast frame delivery feature on the AE3000/4000 is about as good as it gets.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
www.3dvisor.com or I'd suggest www.vuzix.com

$400? guess that's gonna be my next buy.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)