Author Topic: Your own skins.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
Your own skins.
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
A way to make your own skins (which we already have) but a way to upload them for yourself or share them with your friends, like we do with the gun sights. If we already have this inform me but  don't think we do, would be cool to fly a budweiser P-51  :devil
Obama is the Energizer bunny of fail.

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Your own skins.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
I believe you can while flying offline. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Yes but i want to do it online.  :D

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
Rules state they must be historical.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
rgr  :cry :bolt:

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
Rules state they must be historical.

And that they have seen combat.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
Although the reasons given against it are understandable, I'll always agree with the sentiment of the post. It'd be nice to be able to do something like this:

Not historical, but done in a historical manner. To prevent the massive number of skins if everyone could have a custom skin for each plane, say you'd be restricted to allowing one custom skin for one aircraft of your choice. Additionally, it would have to follow guidelines like it must be something that could have legitimately appeared for that particular aircraft during the war (sorry, no bright pink "My Little Pony" P-51D skin, or the rainbow triangle La-7 skin, though I'm not sure that one ever got remade after the La model update....) and disallowing dazzle markings.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
Anybody have the ability to lock useless threads?

EDIT:  Not really a "useless" thread and please forgive my crappy attitude this evening.   :salute
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:55:55 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
     Trying to picture the size of the cache needed to allow everyone having
their own skins blows the mind, thumbs down.  :bolt:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »
    Trying to picture the size of the cache needed to allow everyone having
their own skins blows the mind, thumbs down.  :bolt:

Oh, I agree that there are FAR too many issues with overhead and monitoring for something like this to ever work. But just to play Devil's Advocate since this IS a wishlist thread:

1) How many people would you HONESTLY expect to submit their own personal skin? Would we suddenly see 5000 different people wanting their own skin all at once? Not particularly likely (see #4 below).
2) Maintenance of the skin library could be somewhat eased by, as I suggested, allowing players to submit ONE personal skin for ONE aircraft only, using a similar upload to the squad nose art interface. This would be the only way to submit a personal skin for approval.
3) Concerns about bizarre skins like are being used in IL-2 could be managed with a review process akin to what happens with skins already. The skin doesn't have to be HISTORICAL, but it MUST conform to the appropriate markings for that particular aircraft as used during WWII (IE, no Soccer War Corsairs).
4) Considering the limited number of skinners, the volume of skin submissions is highly unlikely to increase significantly. The skinners are already busy on their own projects, so contracting for personal skins would take a back seat.
5) In-game overhead on the player side could be managed by having an "Enable Personal Skins" checkbox. Uncheck it, and personal skins would be replaced by Default on your front end (make it separate from the Enable Player Skins option that already exists. Make it two options: Enable Historical Skins and Enable Personal Skins). Players concerned about the added performance hit of loading 25 individual personal skins in addition to the maybe 5 or so historical skins also in visual range would then be able to turn either off as to their preference.

Anyway, I'm well aware of why HTC elected against it, but it still doesn't mean someone can't put out thoughts on how it COULD be done.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:43:41 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
did anyone bother reading the OP at all? or did you just see the title and make up your mind what you were going to type?

he isnt asking to submit skins in any way...... what he is asking for would not effect other players in any way

he wants to be able to create skins and use them in the game or email them to a friend for them to use in the game......

unless he sent the skin to you then you would never even know he was using it.......  you would simply see him flying in a default skin the same way you do now if he is using a skin that you dont have

theres zero overhead or cache involved......

this would only appear on his screen for his own personal fancy....... the same way it does in offline

I personally have the "show other players skins turned off" so skins dont make much difference to me either way.......  but I fail to see how it should matter to you either if he has a personal skin or not...... since theres no way you would ever know

I think its a great idea and compromise for all the past wishers who wanted to fly "squad" skins
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
Even if it WERE just me seeing it, I'd love to be able to take off looking like this:

:D

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
Seems like you're the only one who hasn't actually.  YOU CAN already put your own skins offline, and YOU CANNOT put them in game.  There is no more discussion other than adding them in game. 

this would only appear on his screen for his own personal fancy....... the same way it does in offline

ANd what on Earth do you mean by "the same way it does in offline"    Cause there ain't no online for this crap.  Period, story is over.
See Rule #4

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
Seems like you're the only one who hasn't actually.  YOU CAN already put your own skins offline, and YOU CANNOT put them in game.  There is no more discussion other than adding them in game. 

ANd what on Earth do you mean by "the same way it does in offline"    Cause there ain't no online for this crap.  Period, story is over.

Dude, you're going to blow a gasket. You may be vehemently against personal skins in any way, shape or form but there's other opinions out there. God forbid someone want to express it in the WISHLIST forum.

What he's saying, and the OP is saying, is for personal skins that ONLY appear on your own front end. You see your own skin, the guy on the other end sees the Default. It's not being "put into the game," just pointing to a skin somewhere on your local hard drive and NOT uploading it anywhere.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
<S> Saxman <S>  You are right, I'm tempered at present (and will log after this) but regardless of who's frontend sees it, you still have to let the server see it ( ie. films & screenshots) so the point is moot no matter how you look at it. 

Dude, you're going to blow a gasket. You may be vehemently against personal skins in any way, shape or form but there's other opinions out there. God forbid someone want to express it in the WISHLIST forum.

What he's saying, and the OP is saying, is for personal skins that ONLY appear on your own front end. You see your own skin, the guy on the other end sees the Default. It's not being "put into the game," just pointing to a skin somewhere on your local hard drive and NOT uploading it anywhere.
See Rule #4