Author Topic: "Glass" gauges  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Re: "Glass" gauges
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
I honestly thought after reading the thread name that this was a wish to make physical gauge peripherals work (basically like a physical altimeter hooked to the comp, thus adding insane immersion)

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2010, 02:59:24 AM »
Its a non-debate.

Looking down in RL, looking down with tackIR, looking down with HAT, looking down with pressing '27 - all those things take you attention away from the con - the difference is about how long you look away.

as someone who started the game ith a mouse and keyboard only and then worked into sticks and peddals slowly, I can tell you, afte th stick, its all extra.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
A second monitor for gauges is not giving anyone an unfair advantage anymore than having a fast pc, a nice stick, pedals, throttle, or TrackIR does.  In fact in most cases it is significantly less an advantage than the other examples given.

Personally I don't really see any advantage to it other than immersion.  I think it is quicker and easier for me to hit 8+5 on my numpad than it is for someone to physically glance down at a second monitor.
Deviant

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
Also need a view option where you don't see cockpit dash, only view through canopy like a 747 flight sim. Your sim is nice but you have two dash boards, yours and the in-game dash. It doesn't look right.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »
It would be nice to put the cockpit instrument panel on a monitor for simpits. Then you'd set your views

Oops didn't realize this fragment got posted when I got interrupted.

Vafii you don't need a new view option, you'd set your views to default above the cockpit rim. You can do this with both the hat views or TrackIR.

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
So I would be able to see clear blue sky and maybe the nose of my plane? If that is the case I better get started on my homemade sim pit. What happens to the gunsight with the change in views?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
If you want it like a 747 sim you don't change views, then it will look right.

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
Also need a view option where you don't see cockpit dash, only view through canopy like a 747 flight sim. Your sim is nice but you have two dash boards, yours and the in-game dash. It doesn't look right.

That would be nice however, I do think that would benifit over another small but a benifit none the less, I'm not requesting a better view just the option to move gauges to another screen or another spot on your existing one
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline usarmy25

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
way off topic, but is that seat in your pic from an old ford lol.  :lol

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
you are freakin dedicated to this game i see, wish i had this set up lol. it just sits on my lap haha. how much would a similar set up be??

RedTail

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 02:52:09 AM »
It aint a problem with me.

Besides who looks at their gauges in COMBAT. I dont, I judge the performance of the aircraft itself. If its sluggish im slow, if its non responsive im fast, and If I have already killed him during this sentence I am in the butter zone. Not a problem.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »

that is actually not a good idea because gong under the nose of a con is a very important tactic and the size and shape of the nose is key - to take away the front of the plane so you can see all th sky infront of you is akin to having f3 mode in the game. 

I think having the option to have lass gauges is fine, but the front screen has to remain th same or its game breaking.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
If that's his view while in the plane I'd say he already has an advantage as it is. Sitting that far back he's damn near in F3 mode. Any farther back and he'd be sitting on the elevators.

He does have a nice looking sim pit but I don't think I'd like the 3 screens if I had to be sitting that far back. It kind of ruins the immersion effect for me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:55:18 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »
you are freakin dedicated to this game i see, wish i had this set up lol. it just sits on my lap haha. how much would a similar set up be??

actually I don't get to play very much I have kids, and as for my skill as a pilot...well I have no skill  :rofl
 If you don't believe me then  look at the boards. (I'm lucky my squad lets me stay)

I have lost track of the cost because its a never ending hobby but you could build a better one then I have for under $1,000 (not counting PC, screens and peripherals ) but honestly when the new pit I'm working on is complete it would take 5K for me to consider selling it
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:06:35 AM by sheperd »
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
If that's his view while in the plane I'd say he already has an advantage as it is. Sitting that far back he's damn near in F3 mode. Any farther back and he'd be sitting on the elevators.

He does have a nice looking sim pit but I don't think I'd like the 3 screens if I had to be sitting that far back. It kind of ruins the immersion effect for me.

He's not sitting far back, he just has a wide view angle. It increases the immersion because the view angle is closer to normal vision.