Author Topic: Happy 20th Anniversary, Muskies! --[-------  (Read 1998 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Re: Happy 20th Anniversary, Muskies! --[-------
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
Part 2

The Musketeers 20th Anniversary

© Sharyn Pierot 2/2010

Now, after twenty years of watching, listening and yes, having some woman-emotion-hormone- driven conversations about ‘computer-time’, I ever so slowly begin to understand.

From Air Warrior to Fighter Ace to Aces High, The Musketeers have stayed together, come, gone, and come back again.  Setting up technology, as it was developed, to work in favor of their community by creating web sites and listservs, as beacons, so all the members of their squad could find their way home. 

So many of you have remained, through all the surprises life has thrown at you.  Saturday night, squad night, sacrosanct.  The Musketeers gathering more than any family I know.  “One for all, and all for one.”

I cannot understand what it’s like for you.  Being a woman, not a gamer, and not having my own tribe.  From over here, on this side of the computer screen, this is what I know.  You have created a squadron-tribe of men.  You re-create the aggression and expert skill of the hunt, in the form of banding together to bomb, blow up and destroy.  You don’t like to play dirty and won’t play with other squads that do.  It’s okay with you to leave when it gets down-right mean.

The teamwork and strategy, in the way of men working together to set up the shoot, is integral to your game.  You don’t needlessly go assassinate people and things.  You sometimes allow yourself to be chased, sacrificing the kill to your squad-mate, and sometimes you finish off the kill yourself. 

You get shot down.  You land.  You go up again.  There is frustration, keyboard pounding, colorful, and unique verbiage, when you don’t land your kill.  But, there you go, up once more.  The game’s the thing.  Like life.

I hear how you rally with each other.  Through strategy, timing, and that odd thread of humor and merriment, you set yourselves up so the team win is the goal.  At the same time understanding you’re each invested in being the best player you can be.  A synthesis of working together and entirely personal.  Exclusive to your squad, I think.

I love (is that too girly a word to use here?) how you offer personal and emotional support to each other.  Your kind words of empathy when one gets divorced, a dog dies, a wife is ill, and a parent passes away…  “Oh man, that’s too bad”, “Let me know if there’s anything I can do.”  Then you sing a Monty Python song, poke fun and make parodies of movies you’ve all seen, find a cluster of opponents on another field, and shift away from the difficult emotions, with “let’s go that away!”

You are familiar with the art of the war you’re in.  The personal squad to squad vengeance's and vying to be the best team.  You watch your enemy; know their moves, tendencies, and ways.  You communicate how they work together and how you will work together to defeat them. 

You are men of honor and men who go for the kill regardless of who is in their way.  Ruthless men.  Supportive good men, who circle round your squad mates with a kind word or two before you fly off to destroy the enemy.  Men who give serious thought to and mercilessly practice your skill.  You sing together late at night.  Banter and spoof.  All and any humor is practiced with regularity. 

I don’t pretend to understand how it happens, but I see the effects.  A release from the pressures of work and responsibilities.  A place to hone your skill at something meaningful to you, to be the best you can be, without anyone’s life, family, and mortgage depending on it.  A twenty-year solidarity based on common interest, play, fun, and, importantly, commitment to the team. 

You each have a personality trait of goodness.  “We only accept good men, not necessarily good fighters”, Rapier told me.  If I met you, I would trust you. 

You’ve built a belonging place.  A squadron of welcome-home without question, even after silence and distance.   It’s your club house, your camp fire. 

Musketeers, you are amazing men to me!

I think of The Musketeers military air combat squadron as a Native American hunter tribe.  A way for men to be in community with each other that is not found in our society of corporations or man’s relationships with women, who want it softer at home.

That night, I heard my son with his two buddies.  He encouraged them to try again when they were shot down and discouraged.  Gaz taught them by example, to laugh, when he was mistakenly shot at by one of The Musketeer’s squad mates.

I heard the tone of his voice and it’s inflections as he guided and supported his friends as they joined together on a mission to hunt, destroy and kill.

All his life, my son has heard this one-sided conversation between his dad and The Musketeers.  He has heard this twenty-year comradeship build and grow close with serious missions, jokes, and songs.  Now, he himself has begun to enter his own manhood.

He has heard empathy and sorrow over divorce, death, unemployment, and family illness.  He has listened to how men share words of commiseration that last long enough to be heard, appreciated and acknowledged. 

He listens to one voice as the squad plans an attack, warns of an incoming group, is supported and takes the role of supporter, during a mission, as well as life crises. 

He has seen his father be at the top and the bottom of the score board.

With the exception of a few short years when the game, but not the squad, faded into the background of our life, The Musketeers have been a constant. 

Now, as he joins your squadron-warrior-tribe, I know, without a doubt, my son has left my arms.  He has gone to join the men on their hunt.  And, I, mother, see he has learned everything he needs for his own journey to manhood. 

He learned it from his father’s voice and the invisible, yet always present, squadron-tribe of Musketeers, who have been teaching him all his life.

Each of you has contributed a piece of yourselves to the man my boy is becoming.  You have been, and continue to be, the words of the lullaby and bedtime story he falls asleep to.

--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
Thank you Sharyn. Now I feel special.   :D

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
It's a red letter day! I've spent 20 years in MMO air combat and 20 years as a Muskie! I had the great good fortune to encounter --)--BMan-- and --)--Stilletto--- when I first fell into AirWarrior from that point onward there was no looking back. Being in this squad has brought me my job, my livelihood and my fun all in one. I can't even really express it all in a single post

One game genre and one squadron for twenty years from 300 baud modems to DSL, from 4 colors to a kajillion colors, from 640X480 to 5040X1024, from relaxed halftime realism to full realism flight models, from text communications to VOX, from one 15 inch screen to 3 screens, its been one hell of ride and I couldn't hope to find a better bunch of people to do it with. I know these guys and think of them as family, folks that I trust absolutely in the real world. We've shared good times and bad, death and life, and the inevitable changes that time brings, in the virtual world and the real world. I found out I was going to be a father at the AW convention in 1991. Now my son flies with me in AH as part of the Musketeers.

From the hours and hours we've spent in game time and the hours and hours we've spent on the listserv, this IS my band of brothers.

BTW, all this month the Muskies are doing Musketeer Mad Missions, wacky stuff with next to no purpose at all. If you see a bunch of Muskies up, feel free to join us!

:salute The Musketeers!

I hope to be here in another 20 years to celebrate again :old:

Nice post sir <S> very well done.  <S> the Muskrats :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »

Please do tell us how flight sims were in dos mode on apples  :old: I think my favorite game in '91 was oregons trail  :aok that and left, right, left, right, up, down, up, down, a, b, start  :D

<S> Nice run thus far

LOL, someone broke out the Contra cheat! I thought it was left, right, left, right, up down, up, down,  B, A, select, start.

:salute Muskies

Can you imagine what the game would be like in another 20 yrs?
AAJagerX
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »
LOL, someone broke out the Contra cheat! I thought it was left, right, left, right, up down, up, down,  B, A, select, start.

:salute Muskies

Can you imagine what the game would be like in another 20 yrs?
AAJagerX

Thanks Jager, we hope to find out.  :D   :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
Congrats on the 20 yrs.! If I had only started a squad in Duck Hunt.........
Lighten up Francis

Offline ClaymoreMuskies

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.joehannon.com/
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
One day in 1986 sitting in front of a DEC MicroVAX I took off from my vector runway into the virtual skies against another pilot. I fired my p38's guns into virtual air and heard a curse from down the hallway as my coworker felt my lead. In 1992 I ventured onto genie credit card in hand. With $6.00 per hour charge it was short lived but glorious! I took to the air on a 386 with vga and approached a furball with T's marking the outside of a 3"x3" window. Bearing down on the unsuspecting pilots in my spitfire I felt in a different time and place.

I returned to AirWarrior on AOL in 1995 as CMDR in the AirWarrior WW1 Arena. Changing my name to Claymore I was inducted into the RR WW1 Musketeers. My friends Crush, Ninja, Blorb, Symo, Fly, Stomper and others were as real a friends as a guy could ask for and still are all these years later. We lost a friend that year, we saw children born to our families. We talked as we flew and shared. Hell we even ate, drank and flew!

Months later flying with Rapier and Dragon in FR Pacific I joined my brothers late at night enjoying the "speech". 14 years as a Musketeer, I moved across the country to join my Muskie brother --)-SON-- and work for him in Real life. I met friends and my life changed for the better from playing a game. I made lifelong friends, in squad and out of squad. I have been at the top and the bottom of the scoreboard and loved every "blooddragon" moment! As the Musketeers enter our 20th year in flight I extend a welcome to our new 2nd generation members and know they will love what we are as much as I have all these years!

Thank you all for the congrats :)

+---{--Claymore----
All for One and One for All!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:29:15 PM by ClaymoreMuskies »

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
Thank you all for the congrats :)

+---{--Claymore----
All for One and One for All!

Sorry to hear about the computer problems, Clay; sorry you missed this past weekend's stuff.  Check your email for some of the film from this weekend's Muskie Secret Rites of Initiation, though.   :O  This time, we added a new bit to the Rites; here's an example (done by trained stuntmen for our orientation seminar)   :neener::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z829cL9spho   :huh

We did sterilize the tools first, of course...    :devil

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Congrats on the 20 year Anniversary Muskies

What ever happened to "The Damned'?   :D

whatever do you mean FLS <grin>, We are still here  :aok, I'm one of the younger spring chickens though I am closing on my 12th year as being "Damned"  :salute  :cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
Congradulations guys.
Must be alot of broken joysticks out there.

Cheers
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
LOL 4deck, I snapped off a CH fighterstick when I was younger and more excitable.  :joystick: :

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
Congrats on the 20 year Anniversary Muskies

whatever do you mean FLS <grin>, We are still here  :aok, I'm one of the younger spring chickens though I am closing on my 12th year as being "Damned"  :salute  :cheers:

TC, I think this is where the BBS needs a :troll emoticon.  :lol  Or in FLS's case, a :drolltroll  moti.   :rofl 

I for one am "damned" (sorry... couldn't resist...   :bolt:) glad to know The Damned are still out there, kicking pattootie as they always have and retaining their class all the while.  :salute

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
Hey TC!

I don't know that you can still qualify as a spring chicken in anyone's book any more  :lol

Of course neither can I. . . but I'm not near as old as I'm gonna be.  :old:

Its good to have such a group of old codgers to hang out with  :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: <I'm the one on the end>
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
Congrats Musketeers!  I wish you many more!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
A very late Happy Anniversary to my fellow Muskies.  Rap, great story from the wife!

Here's to 20 more years of ACM mayhem!

A-land rules!

Mutha Teresa
---(------------------