Author Topic: Getting Screen Stuttering  (Read 761 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Getting Screen Stuttering
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
This isn't a big issue, but gets really annoying after a while. When I get 1 or more icons on my screen (friend or foe) my screen starts stuttering a bit. Not much, just that it slows up a bit, speed up, and slows down again continuously until there are no icon on the screen again. I have a 25-35 FR's throughout the stuttering, so I don't know if it's my vid card or an internet issue.

Here's my specs:

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model: ASUS Desktop PC CM5571
Processor: Pentium Duel-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz
System type: 64-nit Operating System

450 Watt Power Supply
ATIRadeon HD4350 Video Card

Comcast Cable internet

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: Getting Screen Stuttering
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »
Do you have other player skins enabled?  If so turn them off for a few sorties and see if you notice a difference.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:47 AM »
I didn't even think about skins. Seems to have helped a bit. Still notice a little bit of stuttering, and 10 FR lose with just a few planes in the air. I had beter steer clear of hordes and furballs or I could be looking at about 5 FR's tops! (Not that furballs and hordes are even fun to begin with)

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
How much of the graphic eye candy are you running? If you've got the shadows, fancy water and detailed terrain all turned on turn a few things off and see if that helps. Especially the shadows. I read in another thread Skuzzy said it was a huge resource hog.

Comcast would be suspect too but it seems to me your machine is struggling to render the graphics. I don't know about Win7 but see what you've got running in the background. Check out the sticky posts for help on that.

All I can think of at the moment.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I just have detailed terrain and watter turned on. No bump terrain, water reflections, or shadows. The only thing running in the background while I play is trackIR.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
With Windows 7 you'll want (almost need) more then 2Gb of RAM to run decently, especially since the rest of your system is on the lower end of the spectrum.  Try with the Detailed Terrain off and Bump Map on and 512 Textures (assuming you are running higher), or even 256 Textures (I don't know the 4350 except that it is low end).  Keep Shadows off.

Also, "The only thing running in the background while I play is trackIR."...you wish.  I don't mean that to sound mean, but Windows 7 comes with a lot of running processes, and unless you've trimmed them down it's doubtful your computer can keep up with all those and AH.  My Windows 7 has about 40 running when I am idle (and uses close to half my RAM due to it), but there are more I could close to gain a small step in performance, but I don't need it since I have a good system, that is something to look at, see how far you can trim it down.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
With Windows 7 you'll want (almost need) more then 2Gb of RAM to run decently, especially since the rest of your system is on the lower end of the spectrum.  Try with the Detailed Terrain off and Bump Map on and 512 Textures (assuming you are running higher), or even 256 Textures (I don't know the 4350 except that it is low end).  Keep Shadows off.

Also, "The only thing running in the background while I play is trackIR."...you wish.  I don't mean that to sound mean, but Windows 7 comes with a lot of running processes, and unless you've trimmed them down it's doubtful your computer can keep up with all those and AH.  My Windows 7 has about 40 running when I am idle (and uses close to half my RAM due to it), but there are more I could close to gain a small step in performance, but I don't need it since I have a good system, that is something to look at, see how far you can trim it down.

I would turn off detailed water too. Check video card settings as recommended in help files. I use IOBit Gamebooster and shut down as many useless processes as possible including all antivirus and firewall. My two cents...

Offline ePIC

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »
Adjust your view up down left or right see if that helps....

Just a suggestion  :O

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:55 AM »
Turning detailed water and terrain off doesn't make a noticable difference. Turned ground detail range all the way down to 0.5 miles and it helped a bit. Very very little stuttering left now, just 20-30 FR's with 1 or more icon on screen, and 50 FR with no icons.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »

ATIRadeon HD4350 Video Card

is that a 512 meg card or a 1 gig card?

for guys with older systems that have a 256 meg card they run into the same issues you described. by default the max texture rate is 1024. on my old system i turned the max texture rate down to 256 and it was way better.

Todd
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys