Author Topic: Marine Officer....why not?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Marine Officer....why not?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »
Any Officer worth the price of his uniform will, when he gets to his first unit and after checking in, first go talk to his top Sgt (Plt Sgt) and simply tell him (ask is better) to do one thing. Train him to be a good leader. Then he will shut up and listen. After a few weeks, months that new shave tail LT. might just be worth the cost of his uniform. He needs to do something similar in his next posting if it's a new situation. Ask questions, seek advice, then decide what you will do, that is if you have the luxury of time.

The last thing a good NCO wants or needs to hear is a new "butter bar" telling him that he already knows his job. That Sgt. will know the LT. doesn't have a clue about how little he know or how stupid he is.

I learned that from a Special Forces Master Sgt. (E-8) while still in ROTC. It's probably the best thing I ever learned while in ROTC. I learned more from my Plt Sgt and later my First Sgt. when I was a Company Commander than from most of the schools I attended. Every success I had as a troop leader was directly attributable to the NCO's I had the pleasure of serving with. The worst soldier I had was a know it all 1st LT.  I got along far better with my NCO's than the other Officers for the most part.

If you think I am giving you a load of BS, go find some old NCO and ask him about this.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »
Sorry glitched into a double post
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:44:54 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Just finished my first year of college and I am already getting tons of letters from my recruiters office telling me about how if I joined the Marines after 4 years of college ill be placed as an officer at the start.

Now honestly I never really wanted to join the military, but however I have to say that everytime I open up a letter from them I day dream about being an officer in the Marines more than I do furthuring my career... :huh

Maybe subconsiously I want to be a Marine but do not know it.

Anyways what is ya'lls input on the subject? My declared major is Business Administration, I talked to a couple of guys about it...some say that the Marines will take the degree and put me as an officer, others say that they would rather have an Engineering Degree and will place me as a recruit instead.

You want to be a helicopter pilot?

Best place to go is the Army for that, I want to get my WO packet in fly helis for 6-8 years then get out and start a business flying rich people around the place :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
Best way to make a small fortune in aviation..... Start with 2 large ones.
 :airplane: :old:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
Enroll in ROTC now and in your Junior or Senior year go to OCS.  Officer Candidate School.  If you like it after 4 years then join up.  If not then don't.  You don't have to commit to anything in ROTC.  I did 4 years in college and loved every minute of it. If you want to commit afterwards go ahead.  Some ROTC programs will pay for your degree.

So first steps: go tomorrow and sign up for your ROTC class.

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Flipper,

There is a ton of good advice in this thread and some that are not IMHO.  I, like many others here spent 4 years Active Duty enlisted in Uncle Sam's Motorcycle Club.  Not too long ago I received a nice little letter saying, thank you for your service your contract is completely up after I had served the remaining time of my contract in the Inactive Ready Reserve.  I do not regret as most don't, one minute spent serving my country in the Marine Corps.  I was one of those people who on a whim decided to call my recruiter, talked to him a few times and within a month I was swearing my oath of enlistment and about a month or so after that, I was in a van headed to MCRD Parris Island.  Yes, the decision to join and commit yourself is one to be thought over, but if your heart is telling you now that it's something you want to do, go for it and go all out.  The very first step you need to take is contacting an Officer Selection Officer.  DO NOT contact your every day run of the mill recruiter down there on the street corner, his job is not to find officers but to find enlisted men and women.  If you are truly thinking about becoming an officer you need to contact an OSO.  What's going to be funny is that your OSO is going to tell you pretty much the complete opposite of what you are hearing from some here.  He/she is going to paint your time in a much better light than what you are hearing from some people here.  If you need to get in touch with an OSO or want to learn a little more, check out this link http://officer.marines.com/ .  As a matter of fact, I have spoken with an OSO myself on a couple of occasions about the possibility of going back in once I finish school with one of my buddies.  I spoke with my old Lt. who is now a Capt. at OCS in Quantico about it, who also gave me a ton of advice on the matter.

The reality is that you are going to see some of both worlds.  It's not a cake walk, and some people make better leaders than others.  Just be sure that if this is the path you want to take that once you start you are 100% committed to it.  Everyone, and I mean everyone from your C.O. of your unit to the lowest PFC or Private in your command will know if you are a good leader and if they can trust and respect you.  On the other hand, the time spent and the friends made will last a lifetime.  The officer corps in the Marine Corps is very small and very close, that's one good part IMO about the Corps.  Being the smallest branch, you have a tendency to run into people a lot that you once served with.  Your degree makes no difference to them one way or the other.  Your OSO can tell you more, but your degree may help them find a field for you but what really decides that will be the placement in your class in OCS and TBS, your scores from any test they give, recommendations from your instructors (not DI's there), and finally and most importantly the needs of the Marine Corps.  It is true that they are getting close to capacity but you can bet a good amount that if you call, they will answer and it's a 99.9999999% chance you will be serving if you so choose.  You DO NOT need to stay in 20 years to get something out of being an officer or an enlisted man for that matter.  Any time spent will leave you with a completely different outlook on life, a stronger since of self worth, and so many other valuable traits that I can't list for you right now.  I know plenty of officers that did not serve 20 years and enjoyed every minute of it and did not feel that the time was wasted.  Yes, it is true that every Marine is trained to be a rifleman first, which is not a bad thing at all and is pretty fun.  This does not mean that you will be an infantry platoon leader when you hit the fleet, it just means that if the need every arises, you are trained for it.  Some people here are right a good NROTC program or any other ROTC program will help you get an understanding of what will be expected in OCS.  The Platoon Leaders Course is an option out there that will help you complete OCS before you graduate college meaning you pretty much jump to TBS.  After all of this typing and reading, and all the other posts, the most important thing you can do is go talk to an OSO.  They will lay your options out there on the table if you wish to become a Marine Officer.  If this is the path you choose, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully one day you can tell us that you graduated from TBS with you head high and are headed to the fleet.  If not, I wish the best of luck to you anyway and hope you find what you are meant to do.

Wow, just saw how much I typed, hope your eyes aren't bleeding.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:54:11 AM by lowZX14 »
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
Low is pretty much spot on in what he says; and that there is both good and ill-informed advice present, here. 

What I am surprised I haven't seen mentioned yet (unless I missed it) is that USMC OCS is the only branch and program by which you can be *guaranteed* a flight spot.  If you want to be a pilot; there is no better path.  If you can pass the physical and academic requirements, you will attend on an air contract.

Now... on to the rest...

First and foremost, there are two basic ways to earn a commission in the USMC; attendance at the USNA or OCS.  I went the latter route.

For the purposes of this discussion, when I say "OCS" I mean attendance at MCB Quantico; this includes PLC.  The acronyms will get confusing (since OCS actually means two different things) so Ill keep it as simple as possible.

PLC is a dual 6-week program.  "OCS" is a single 10-week program.  I went the latter.  I recommend the former. 

Since you are still in your first year of college, PLC is still an option for you. 

Given choice, PLC is preferable because of the shorter duration of each stint; in comparison to the 10 straight weeks of OCS (again, both being "OCS").  This is due to the physical demands and lack of recovery time. 

Week six is about the point where you need that recovery badly.  PLC allows this.  OCS does not; four more weeks to go.

I was not prior enlisted but we had several in our platoon.  All of them agreed that the physical demands of OCS were far in excess of those experienced at PI or SD. 

As you will be expected to lead by example (OCS motto = Ductus Exemplo = "Leadership by Example"), your training is harder to ensure that you *can* lead by example in all cases.  How much respect would you have for an officer who was at the back of the pack during a simple PT run?

The pace is non-stop, you will get very little sleep and your body will be pushed well beyond whatever preparatory training you did prior to arrival.

In concert with this, the mental games that the SI's will play with you are designed to push your level of tolerance. 

In hindsight, the entire process is brilliant and one can see that every single step, no matter how small, is specifically designed to serve a purpose; to instill doubt, fear, confusion, etc.  Your decision making and leadership abilities under that stress will be measured constantly. 

While you are there you wont be able to see this.

A perfect (and literal) example of this blindness is the fact that you will not even be afforded the time or opportunity to observe your surroundings until about week three.  Your eyes will be on the back of the head in front of you if they are not instructed to be somewhere else.  Lord help you if you turn your head to look around.  ;)

The aggregate effect of the physical and mental demands add up to a very difficult program.  The attrition rate is high due to both injury and expulsion.

OCS is different than the programs offered by all other branches in that the senior enlisted men effectively get to select their officers.  You are primarily trained, lead and judged by NCO's.  If they deem you unsatisfactory, they will remove you from the program by any means necessary.  I recall several examples of readily identifiable weak candidates being subjected to treatment falling under that category which you would not see aired on the Discovery Channel.

In any event; here is the process:

1.)  Locate an OSO.
2.)  Submit application.
3.)  If accepted, attend OCS.
4.)  If passed, earn commission.
5.)  Attend TBS (The Basic School; 6 months).

If you decide that, after exhaustive consideration, this is what you *want* to do, a few survival pointers:

Pre-OCS:

-Run.
-Run.
-Run more.
-Keep running.
-Circuit training. 

During OCS... some for fun :D

-Any display of emotion is a weakness.  Display none. 

-Pace yourself when and where you can.  You have nothing to gain except a broken ankle by being in the fastest run group during PT.

-Actors are not officers.  Do not emulate Tom Hanks.  This sounds so simple its almost stupid, but given the calculated lack of direction candidates are given, they are forced to draw from other sources of information.  Movies are a popular choice.

-Buy a second pair of boots in Q-town during your first liberty.  One for use, one for inspection.

-Lighters are more effective than scissors when removing threads from BDU's.

-Shoe polish is quicker on the naming stencil than the marker.

-The marker is quicker on the spade than soap and water.

-They are not sneakers, they are go-fasters.

-Making use of the 3-round burst feature on the M16A2 during field exercises is fun... and ill advised.

-Clearing leaves from the ground while providing security due to a tick sighting will make the Captain mad because you just gave away the position of the entire squad.

-A leg cramp is not a reason to rise from the prone position in the Quigley.  Your company commander, who happens to be walking by when you do this, will inform you that he just shot you in the head and then ask you if it hurts more or less than the leg cramp.

-"Because I couldn't find a real job, Platoon Sergeant!" is *NOT* an acceptable response when the reasoning for your presence at OCS is demanded.

If you lose your sense of humor, you wont make it.  Everything you do - even if you do it right - is a failure.  Just keep that sense of humor to yourself. 

SCUZZBRUSH BULKHEAD!  :D

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
Eagl said everything that needs to be said really. The military gives you lots of quiet moments to review your decisions, from those moments come the kind of wisdom that Eagl is offering you.

If you are thinking, I have seen this business administration thing and I think its just too lame for me, I want a physical challenge, I want to belong somewhere" then go for it.
If you are saying, "I cant cut it on civy streat with this crappy degree I paid for, I guess I will take the easy way out and become a marine"  thats a different issue,(you might still make a great officer though)
Be honest with yourself.    

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
Best way to make a small fortune in aviation..... Start with 2 large ones.
 :airplane: :old:

The best way to make a fortune in aviation:

Rule 1:  Never start a business in aviation.
Rule 2:  See rule #1.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:50 AM »
nutts to butts...........quit thinking about it and just do it.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
I wouldn't try to talk you out of it, but I would caution...do not sign on the dotted line until you are almost done with college. Check out the Navy ROTC program if your college has one...it's combined Navy/Marines...at least where I work.

Check all the armed services.  Discover their offers.  Then investigate your discovers to separate fact from fiction.  Let us know what you find.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Check all the armed services.  Discover their offers.  Then investigate your discovers to separate fact from fiction.  Let us know what you find.

Quoted for truth.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 02:27:10 AM »
As a Cadet in the Australian Air Force I am determined to join the RAAF when I leave the AAFC at 20. I have always said that while I am probably going to end up a history or Grammar/Writing teacher (English Teacher) I will serve in the RAAF as a flyer or the Army if they say I can't fly.

I would say you should join, the USMC is one of the finest fighting forces in the world. It provides the best training in the US armed forces and has the best fighting spirit of any military unit I have seen. ( I saw the USMC do a demo at the Australian International Airshow).

Plus it is useful to know how to kill someone from five football fields away.

If your up for it, Do it.  :salute
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
The United States Marine Corps is not just another military service to be selected over others because it has a better... "deal".

The United States Marine Corps is a way of life; a fellowship of like-minded individuals who respect and value leadership, loyalty, professionalism, customs and traditions, intelligence and integrity, decisive action above bravado, and who, through rigorous training, coalesce into the finest fighting organization in the world. The United States Marine Corps Officer exemplifies this way of life.

If you are not committed to accept our way of life, then please, do me, and all other United States Marines, past, and present, a favor; don't join us.

Semper Fidelis!

Patches
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:24 AM »
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"