Author Topic: Local ENY  (Read 525 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Local ENY
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
Perhaps ENY could be assigned to individual Bases rather than to whole teams.  The Dar-Bar keeps track of team plane-count by sector, so bases in that sector could have ENY calculated by the sector ratio instead of the Team ratio. This could be extended to bases within one sector to keep adjacent bases ENY-ed. This would create in some situations where bases would have different ENY values being assigned based on what was happening around them..or a 'conflict in ENY, but this can be easily addressed by Averaging the different overlapping local ENY calculations. 

This might help the lopsided fights where a TEAM with less pilots overloads a few sectors and benefits from ENY even though they out number everone at those bases.

And if a Pilot wants to fly 2 sectors to a fight just so he can have his P-51, so be it.

I honestly think this would address the real gripe with ENY, which occurs when you're upping at a base where you're outnumbered 2:1, 3:1 and you can only up in P-40 against the hordes of P-51, Typhs, and D-9s, because scattered around the board your team outnumbers the other team. This is what ENY is trying to address but actually doesn't.

Who is John Galt?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Local ENY
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
I honestly think this would address the real gripe with ENY, which occurs when you're upping at a base where you're outnumbered 2:1, 3:1 and you can only up in P-40 against the hordes of P-51, Typhs, and D-9s, because scattered around the board your team outnumbers the other team. This is what ENY is trying to address but actually doesn't.

I honestly don't think ENY was ever put in place with the intention to make your countrymen fly in a horde with low-performace aircraft.  You don't like upping in a busy sector by yourself?  Ask for countrymen to come help, or move elsewhere.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »
I honestly don't think ENY was ever put in place with the intention to make your countrymen fly in a horde with low-performace aircraft. 

I don't either.

I think the stated objective of ENY is to even up team strength, when team numbers are not even. This is accomplished by making the teams with more players have to fly lower ranking aircraft.

BUT when applied to every base in the MA, it creates many local sectors where outnumbered pilots are forced to fly lower ranked planes. This is what leads (IMO) to the whining. I'm suggesting that applying ENY by sector instead of Country, might do a better job of accomplishing it's objective, and generating less complaints.
Who is John Galt?

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
Hey heres a grand idea lets get rid of the eny all together!! :eek: i dont pay 15 bucks a month to not fly the planes i want to :furious
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
Hey heres a grand idea lets get rid of the eny all together!! :eek: i dont pay 15 bucks a month to not fly the planes i want to :furious

I'm pretty sure no one is keeping you from flying the planes you want.  Only you are keeping yourself from flying what you want.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »

Easy solution...switch to the lower-numbered side.  Then you can up whatever uber plane you want.  That's the whole point behind ENY; to balance the numbers across all sides in an arena.  HTC can't help it if some people have an unnatural love for one particular side in their cartoon sandbox and refuse to switch.  No one to whine to but yourself for that.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
Localized ENY sounds good, but when you try to work out an algorithm to move it from the concept to application stage, you realize that you just can't make it work. 

What you are proposing would cause the following problems:

As soon as one side gains any kind of air superiority, ENY prevents them from flying most aircraft.
Shutting down the hangers at an enemy base effectively shuts down their own hangers, too.
After a restart, no one would be able to take off, because the other side would need to have some aircraft in the air for ENY to start up.
A group would not be able to up at a back base, because ENY would detect no enemy planes nearby.

Etc.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:20:19 AM »
Localized ENY sounds good, but when you try to work out an algorithm to move it from the concept to application stage, you realize that you just can't make it work. 

What you are proposing would cause the following problems:

As soon as one side gains any kind of air superiority, ENY prevents them from flying most aircraft.
Shutting down the hangers at an enemy base effectively shuts down their own hangers, too.
After a restart, no one would be able to take off, because the other side would need to have some aircraft in the air for ENY to start up.
A group would not be able to up at a back base, because ENY would detect no enemy planes nearby.

I think your conclusions are based on the assumption that a Base and an Enemy Base are in the same sector and would be assigned the same ENY value. That doesn't have to be the case. Only the base with the high plane count get ENY raised, not the opposing base.

Who is John Galt?

Offline RedTeck

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
To resurrect this from the dead, it wouldn't even have to be as localized as sector. Even a country vs country level would help in situations like this. It doesn't make any sense to have rooks fighting high ENY aircraft or vehicles against the knights low ENY aircraft or vehicles because the bishops have low numbers. It would be a pain to establish I'm sure, especially around tank town. The only thing I could think of would be distance. Your field ENY would be based on which enemy country has the closest base to yours. If bishops have low numbers and the nearest enemy field from your base is knight, the ratio of rook to knight determines that fields ENY. Let different fronts have different fights.
Ho's are like Speedos.
Nothing says you can't use it, but no one wants to see it.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
auto side balancing.  :aok

NOT

AKNOT

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »

it would be possible to apply "local eny" to some aspects on top of the blanket eny we have now, eg. the modifier for kill perks and damage points could take into account the number of friendlies/enemies within maybe 10 miles radius. that way even with equal side numbers, if you fly with a horde you get very little in the way of perks for a kill or damage points, take on the horde solo and you get lots.

wouldnt be much of a horde deterrent for new guys I guess, but might effect vet scorehos more...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:06:07 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli