Author Topic: What If's and Maybe's  (Read 265 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
What If's and Maybe's
« on: July 16, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi All,  I'm pretty new here, finished my two weeks as MajWreck,  screwed up my registration and now I'm AirScrew.  Any way it seems according to some posts that Buffs are not very popular with a lot of the flyers,  I was wondering if, when and maybe we could get B-25's (over 5,000 built) and A-26's.  Especially the B-25G w/ 75mm cannon and at least 8 forward firing .50's.  
Either of these seem better than the B-26.

Specifications (B-25J):
Engines: Two 1,700-hp Wright R-2600-92 Cyclone radial piston engines
Weight: Empty 19,480 lbs., Max Takeoff 35,000 lbs.
Wing Span: 67ft. 7in.
Length: 52ft. 11in.
Height: 16ft. 4in.
Performance:Maximum Speed at 13,000 ft:272mph
Ceiling: 24,200 ft.
Range: 1,350 miles
Armament:12 12.7-mm (0.5-inch) machine guns
            4,000 pounds of bombs

Specifications (A-26B):
Engines: Two 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-79 radial piston engines
Weight: Empty 22,370 lbs., Maximum Takeoff 35,000 lbs.
Wing Span: 70ft. 0in.
Length: 50ft. 9in.
Height: 18ft. 6in.
Performance:Maximum Speed at 15,000 ft: 355 mph
Ceiling: 22,100 ft Range: 1,400 miles Armament:Six 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns in nose Two 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns each in ventral and dorsal turrets
6000 lbs. of bombs
Eight 127mm (5-inch) rockets

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Actually, it was far more than that. Almost 6,000 were built here in Kansas City alone.

In any event, I'd love to see the B-25 in. First a 345thBG Strafer nose C model (winks at HTC), then an H variant (although it was extremely difficult to hit anything but ships with the cannon) and of course the ubiquitous J model.
 http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/history/bna/waryr.html

"To meet the demands of war, North American opened new factories in Kansas City, KS, and in Dallas, Texas. They kept busy. During the peak production periods of World War II, an airplane rolled off a North American production line every 15 minutes. The company produced 9,498 B-25s, 15,498 trainers, including the T-6 Texan (descendant of the NA-16) and 15,586 P-51 Mustangs."

I have seen slightly lower figures for the B-25's, around 9100+. Could be a discrepancy between what was built and what the AAF actually accepted before the end of hostilities.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2001, 10:23:00 PM »
Could be my number of approx 5,000 is what the US maintained.  Several hundred or more where given to British, Russians and other allies during the war.   I just think that one of the most used and popular medium bombers of WW2 is not in AH, besides its better looking than that hog of plane B26, they are also able to take off from carriers (thanks to Jimmy Doolittle).  Wouldn't mind seeing some Japanese bombers for some variety either.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Not sure, but I believe HiTech or Pyro addressed this last year?

Seems one or the other dislikes the B25, so I would not count on seeing it anytime soon in AH.  

But, I have been wrong before...........  ;)

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Eddiek,

"...one or the other dislikes the B25.."

Could I use that to infer this might also be the reason why the Axis planes are so undermodeled and so under represented in AH?

Nexus   ;)

<hehe I just love to ramble-rouse>

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
Airscrew those would be great.  My favorite Mitchell would have to be the B-25J with the "strafer" nose kit, which was available from the factory, giving it 12 forward-firing MG's plus 6 defensive MG's.

And I love Invaders.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
I agree Funkedup,  B25 has been my favorite since I was a kid, with the P47 a close second.  Invaders are cool because of all that firepower and speed for the size a the plane.  Deackin a field with an A-26 would be sweet.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
eddiek I don't believe that's the case.

Bare in mind, AH has to be a bit different than it's competitors.  To that end, picking the same bomber as all their competitors have to start with isn't likely a good move.  Hence, HTC did something a bit different with the B-26.  Now that's not saying they'll never do a B25... I'm sure they will someday.  The problem is that plane is likely lower on the list of priorities than trying to get us some japanese bombers for example.  I think one of those two will come around sometime... but likely not right away.

Then again, the HTC crew seems to be crankin' out a CRAPLOAD of new planes/vehicles every year... so it might not be that long a wait.  :D

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
What If's and Maybe's
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2001, 04:27:00 PM »
Besides, I'm sending them bribes.  

I also hired a guy to stand outside HT's window at 0300 on odd numbered Tuesdays and whisper (B-25C Strafer! B-25C Strafer).

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!