Author Topic: You've all studied the speed/climb/turn charts......  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
You've all studied the speed/climb/turn charts......
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »
where are the surprises? Where will the Spit Ix outturn the zero? Where will the Spixteen overtake the' 51 level-speed-wise.

What are the ones that stand out in your mind? (no looking for now)

Lazy people want to know!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: You've all studied the speed/climb/turn charts......
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:25:19 AM »
Lazy is as Lazy Does  :old:

If You Keep On Doing What Ya Doing.....You Gonna Keep On Getting What Ya Getting!!!  :old:

best help I can offer you, until you come back with a different mindset toward learning  :bolt:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
You're a lot like Jesus.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »
A20 wep does nothing over 3ish k :huh, likewise tempest over 17ish k.

XVI better climbrate than XIV somewhere between 12-22k, can never remember where and it always catches me out :furious
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
The Panzer is faster than any fighter for the first few seconds after the engine starts.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:07:04 AM »
where are the surprises? Where will the Spit Ix outturn the zero? Where will the Spixteen overtake the' 51 level-speed-wise.

What are the ones that stand out in your mind? (no looking for now)

Lazy people want to know!

THe biggest surprise: the 190F-9 turns like no other and the Brewster has top speed at all alts. Also, I'd recommend spending some perkies for a 262 - but only if you're going to fly it at low alt for some turn-and-burn furballin'.

In which arena will you be flying tonight? I'd like to practice against you some, just to learn.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
A 109K4 is 10mph slower than an Fw190D9 on the 0k deck but is 4mph faster at 5k.  :old:
A 109K4 also overtakes an La7 at 6k.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Brewster has top speed at all alts.

Heh, funny way to put it. :) Other way is to say that it's equally slooow at all alts. :D Seriously tho, G5-Cyclone looses power quite rapidly after it's first gear's very low critical alt of 4000ft. Good way to see this is to look at the climb chart. So as the air gets thinner Cyclone looses power fast...so as drag gets smaller the power gets smaller aswell...+/-=0. Most planes are able to sustain their sea level power to much higher alts which enables them to get faster as the drag decreases.

One suprise might be to some that if the starting speeds are the same you can out run/climb an La-7 with 109K-4 or even with a G-14 by doing a very shallow climb (+/- 1000ft/min). At those high speeds the 109 has a hair more excess thrust even at sea level and the difference gets bigger as the alt increases. As everyone knows, La-7 will catch K-4 on the deck easily at level flight so the shallow climb is about the only way to disengage from the angry mob with La-7 leading the pack. :) As Grizz mentiones after reaching 6k you are safe at level too with K-4, for G-14 the safe alt is naturally higher.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
Heh, funny way to put it. :) Other way is to say that it's equally slooow at all alts. :D Seriously tho, G5-Cyclone looses power quite rapidly after it's first gear's very low critical alt of 4000ft. Good way to see this is to look at the climb chart. So as the air gets thinner Cyclone looses power fast...so as drag gets smaller the power gets smaller aswell...+/-=0. Most planes are able to sustain their sea level power to much higher alts which enables them to get faster as the drag decreases.

One suprise might be to some that if the starting speeds are the same you can out run/climb an La-7 with 109K-4 or even with a G-14 by doing a very shallow climb (+/- 1000ft/min). At those high speeds the 109 has a hair more excess thrust even at sea level and the difference gets bigger as the alt increases. As everyone knows, La-7 will catch K-4 on the deck easily at level flight so the shallow climb is about the only way to disengage from the angry mob with La-7 leading the pack. :) As Grizz mentiones after reaching 6k you are safe at level too with K-4, for G-14 the safe alt is naturally higher.

Looks like you might have mistaken my clever ruse (as a means to get cheap kills) for genuine commentary...

I can only be taken seriously every other post.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »
Looks like you might have mistaken my clever ruse for genuine commentary...

Well I think I didn't, after all. ;) When I was researching the aircraft I was suprised of its somewhat unusual power curve and that was the reason why I had to comment. :) Something similar can be seen with the FM-2 too but it has a later Cyclone. I did catch the irony tho believe it or not. ;)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
Help and training.