Author Topic: Rotating Map sets / No Icon  (Read 622 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Rotating Map sets / No Icon
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
Here's a question I have about Rotating Map sets
can terrains be set up to change or rotate when specific Mission parameters accomplished in other words Define mission objectives. Meaning there are objects or bases That the opposing team must destroy or capture for victory. At which time the map would rotate.

lets say just for example the map rotates after 50 enemy aircraft are destroyed or a specific task is accomplished like taking certain bases or both which ever comes first.
 once one side accomplished the task the terrain/map would roll over to a new map with a different plane set.

sort of creating a dynamic campain.
That way the terrain would not need to be the same plane set for an entire week but be constantly rotating with different planset as parameters are accomplished on each map.

Lets say for example that there was a Battell of Britain map up and one side or the other won the map based on the victory /Mission parameters set up on the map... sink X number of ship  shoot down X number of Ac  take x number of bases or any combination set by the map designer.

The early BOB map would roll onto a new map... with lets say a mid Battel of Britain map/plane set  adding the FW to the action and so on.
Map rotations could take us   through early, mid and late war theaters of operation.

In other words.... Battel of Britain,Russian front (ETO),Mediterranean theater (MTO) pacific theater(PTO) etc. Again the key would be for maps not to be huge but small to mid sized maps. As no icons with not allot of players could become boring until it grows.

This was what I was referring to in the initial post of rotating map sets in the No icon post  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,284791.0.html
Perhaps a group of guys could get together and  split up the terrain building among themselves put a map cycle together load it and let it roll with the No icon settings of course :) Is this possible to do with the tools at hand?
 :salute RaVe
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:47:16 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Re: Rotating Map sets / No Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Quoted my self wile editing whoops :) :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:45:02 PM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »
Here's a question I have about Rotating Map sets
can terrains be set up to change or rotate when specific Mission parameters accomplished in other words Define mission objectives. Meaning there are objects or bases That the opposing team must destroy or capture for victory. At which time the map would rotate. 

It can be done manually.  There is no automatic map reset with AvA maps; indeed, taking all one country's bases completely porks the arena until a staffer is available to reset it.

That said, you could probably come up with alternative victory conditions which did not pork the map (for example, take and hold certain bases before, at or after a particular time), and a staffer could then change the maps in accordance with previously agreed standards.  Wouldn't be automatic, and would probably take a day (or part of a day, the staffer is your problem here) to accomplish, but it could be done.

- oldman

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
Ok Was just wondering.. Making it happen automatically is key to keep the cadence up in that arena .

As the other arenas rotate there must be a simple code  that could be applied the the axis allies arena.

I truly think a set up like that would help axis v allies grow as well as the sim in general.... its a simple yet diverse set up of maps and well balanced plane sets that would be historically correct... who could we talk to at High tech about making it happen automatically for that arena?
RaVe

Saadi

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
the problem is that each week is owned by one of the CM's. the arena doesnt promote winning the war and changing the map, it just promotes winning the war, if there happens to be one running. the idea behind the AVA is more that of dogfighting, then of changing the map. if you want to change the map, well the midwar changes on almost a daily basis.

depending on the setup, you could have 2 guys put out the same map, but use totally different planes or maybe no planes at all. with an automatic rotation, you loose that creativity and uniqueness. then its just an arena for the masses. i personally wouldnt be in favor of that.

in case you havent noticed, theres no points given in the AVA. score is not counted. its about fun, not score.

i hope this helps. just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:35:47 AM by captain1ma »

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
RGr I here that that I'm not into winning battels or points either.

I was just asking about the victory requirements as a means to an end....
 tripping/changing the map to rotate the plane set more for dog fighing, to help the arena become a 24/7 active thing.

I asked because I didn't know how it work on the technical end.... if you could automatically rotate the terrain  with a new plane set  then you could keep the uniqueness and creativity... but it looks like its not possible.

Anyway just a thought its really fun now in spite of the beatings Ive been getting  :x

I'm definitely not looking for a  mid war set up...Problem i see with mid war is the maps are way to big for the population, also the fact that your fighting spit against spit ,109 against 109  and theres icons .

I think you guys have a great thing happening here in AVA.

what about splitting things up more insted of owned by week owned by days so there would be more of a varied plane set. One day..  pacific  plane set,one day early war BoB plane set, one day mid war,  ect.?

I'm only asking because I don't know how its all works technically  :headscratch:

Not my intention to make waves in your excellent arena. :banana:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:23:43 PM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi