Author Topic: WW1 Arena Observation  (Read 4371 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: WW1 Arena Observation
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »
Here's a true "WWI Arena Observation":

(Image removed from quote.)

two seconds later
(Image removed from quote.)

That's pretty much my experience as well. Slower version of Furball Lake in the DA. I didn't stay long.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »
<snip>
I knew you would release the WW1 arena when I was traveling and could not get in on the action early. I guess Saturday or Sunday will have to be the first day for me. At least I don't have to wait a full week.

Why do you think they waited so long?  :) 
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:45 AM »
I wish them the best and I had fun with WWI. I am grateful for any efforts. With that said I suspect it will end up like the Axis v Allies arena. This is what happened with DoA. There is a simple reason for this: the level of technology in WWII is a perfect blend of speed, lethality, and flight tactics. Step up to the jet age---and there is boredom. Step backwards into the age of biplanes and scarves and there is again a sense of limitation. IMO, it might have been better to expend the effort on enriching the WWII virtual world. Just my opinion and as such of no importance.

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
This post is not intended as criticism.  I am wondering if anyone else noticed anything similar.

The arena is fresh and interesting.  The best part of it is that is not just a slow version of the WW2 arenas.  It ‘feels’ right, for the most part.  The WWI Arena is fun.  Time will tell its fate.

My personal observations:

1. Frame rate drops below 10 fps when launching.  Drops to 0 fps when launching the Camel.

2. Wind noise goes from loud to silent instantly. 

3. Planes fly around with big parts of wings missing.  The damage model appears to be very detailed.  I am not sure a plane would be so easy to control missing the entire bottom wing.

4. Can’t land the darn things.  It might be the frame rate drop close to airfields.   The planes seem retain speed.

Questions:

1. How big are the sectors?

2. Is there a re-arm pad?  After I figure out landing ...

3. What are the altitude limits to the puffy ack?

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
Well it looks like I suck in both wars but it was fun. I had the same problem with FR taking off with the Sopwith Camel but not so bad with the other planes. I didn't get to try landing yet  :rofl.

Cheers,
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »
Just took my 1st WWI flight............ had to switch to Rook to get close to the fight........

lone knight comes out of NE toward me....... he loses angles...takes multple hits....get white message saying he ran into me......( no orange message )

he trys to run...still getting multiple hits.he runs to his field........ I laugh at him ask him why he running to his ack...... god forbid he crashes or gets shot down

so he reups..comes back and we go again......... all is cool....1 vs 1.....we start turning exchange hits.......I decide to give him some angles, make it interesting.....
"cujo" just like the rabied foaming mouthed mutt in the Movie "cujo" comes in and picks....... I mean this rabied foaming mouth dog flys away from 3 or 4 reds and 2 or 3 greens just to come pick......

new arena suppose to be about dogfighting........ same sorry worthless rabied MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE mentality people.......going for easy kills

then instead of fighting the furball he was hdg to or near.....to begin with.......he draws 3 or so reds in on me and trys to use me as bait........it worked  <GOLF CLAP>

was a funny film though  :D PM me and I'll email it to ya

hey BillReed (spelling ? )  good kill <S>
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I found that by flying out and dragging the edges of the big furballs you can usually let some observant pilot know that you would like a 1 v 1.  It worked for me several times without interruption.  I had a great time!

On the other hand it was darn fun flying right into the middle of all those red guys and going at it.  My best so far was 6 down before my plane was riddled with holes.  But darn fun!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:23:09 AM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
I wish them the best and I had fun with WWI. I am grateful for any efforts. With that said I suspect it will end up like the Axis v Allies arena. This is what happened with DoA. There is a simple reason for this: the level of technology in WWII is a perfect blend of speed, lethality, and flight tactics. Step up to the jet age---and there is boredom. Step backwards into the age of biplanes and scarves and there is again a sense of limitation. IMO, it might have been better to expend the effort on enriching the WWII virtual world. Just my opinion and as such of no importance.

incase you missed the "HeadLines"  the WWI Arena is the Test Bed for new damage modeling for the WWII Arenas and the Test Bed for future enhancements to the WWII Arenas........ those could include to many numerous things to post  :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »

Questions:

No rearm pad. For  landing, shut your engine when gliding in, switching it on/off intermittently if necessary. The WWI engines are producing quite a lot of trust even when throttle is at idle setting.

There is no minimum alt for puffy ack.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »
Found if a red guys comes into ack range, if your near enough to him, it takes you out right quick  :D

Upped in a major furball last night, with all planes coming in around the 500 ft mark, much fun. Also found myself a bit outnumbered at one stage, but had a complete blast trying to get a few kills and survive (it didnt go well lol....)

Loving the d7, what a sweet plane - that said, taking the camel up tonight instead.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »

new arena suppose to be about dogfighting........ same sorry worthless rabied MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE mentality people.......going for easy kills

Agreed, some of the worst gangbanging and all around crappy flying I've ever seen last night.  Still had a ton of fun, but was hoping for more.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
Agreed, some of the worst gangbanging and all around crappy flying I've ever seen last night.  Still had a ton of fun, but was hoping for more.

You guys mustve been in a different WWI arena... The one I was in was fun. Both red and green were mashing it out in one big blob. My two favorite planes so far: Sopwith Camel, Fokker Dr.1  :rock
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
Popped in to check it out. It sure is an excersise in SA and turning, and thats about it. The few "very very very few" 1v1s I experienced all came down to the best turner. It seemed there is very little in the way of options other than to TURN. None of the rides carry anything in the way of "energy" the verticle component is virtualy non exsistent and trying to "run" someone down takes about a week. The planes are too slow to gain any separation from the gang so it was always hordeswaggle. Good thing the guns are so poor. It reminded me of the week the brewster and i16 were released, lots of fun but "short lived" I'm afraid. As the night wore on it was easy to see how this new stuff was gonna pan out, looking at the arenas the #s moving to the LW arenas slowing increased as the night progressed, I'm afraid this is very telling. It was quite fun in a very limited sense I hope it pans out, although ATM not enough to peek my interest in returning  :(

IMO a "guns only" Korean war era jet arena would be more appealing to most peeps!

A big <SALUTE> to HITECH, as it must have taken a great effort to produce. It is obvious they are at the very TOP of the "flightsim" industry, I just think this is an error in reading the customer base!

I hope I'm wrong about this   :aok

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
This post is not intended as criticism.  I am wondering if anyone else noticed anything similar.

The arena is fresh and interesting.  The best part of it is that is not just a slow version of the WW2 arenas.  It ‘feels’ right, for the most part.  The WWI Arena is fun.  Time will tell its fate.

My personal observations:

1. Frame rate drops below 10 fps when launching.  Drops to 0 fps when launching the Camel.

2. Wind noise goes from loud to silent instantly. 

3. Planes fly around with big parts of wings missing.  The damage model appears to be very detailed.  I am not sure a plane would be so easy to control missing the entire bottom wing.

4. Can’t land the darn things.  It might be the frame rate drop close to airfields.   The planes seem retain speed.

Questions:

1. How big are the sectors?

For landing slow down to about 60-70mph & set auto pilot, arrive about 20ft above the trees, as soon as you pass the trees, chop throttle and glide just below stall buzzer, when ya hit grass, pull back on the stick and turn gently. I land diagonally across the field....longest length. For six months I've been practicing no-engine landings in late WWII, it helped.
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Popped in to check it out. It sure is an excersise in SA and turning, and thats about it. The few "very very very few" 1v1s I experienced all came down to the best turner. It seemed there is very little in the way of options other than to TURN. None of the rides carry anything in the way of "energy" the verticle component is virtualy non exsistent and trying to "run" someone down takes about a week. The planes are too slow to gain any separation from the gang so it was always hordeswaggle. Good thing the guns are so poor. 

The SPAD XIV introduced bnz to WWI  :rock
now posting as SirNuke