Author Topic: WW1 Arena Observation  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: WW1 Arena Observation
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
He's currently at 36-0 in the Camel ;)

LOL

One kill every 3 minutes.  I'm his wingman he flew the DR1 yesterday, was giving everyone his 6 the reversing and killing them in about 60 seconds.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

I enjoy the furball and enjoy the WWI arena.
My only complaint with WWI is more on the players then the game.
Everyone seems to congregate 100 feet or less off the deck.

Personally I think it would be more fun with a bunch of planes with more or less even numbers  meeting up at around 5K in a sort of duel of the skies as opposed to a duel in the dirt.
Then you could use alt to gain some E to do those overhead loops and othr circus like areobatics

I think general fear of breaking up their plane or destroying the engine keeps a lot from grabbing any higher.  Less risk of damaging from overspeeding or breaking up your plane on the deck as opposed to 5k.  I think once people become more comfortable in the planes and how to keep the plane in the 'safe zone' (i.e. not damaging engine from overspeeding or breaking plane), they'll creep up higher and eventually we'll see Chalenge at 35,000ft trying to eek out a few more miles per gallon.

Another thing too is that the Dr.I and Camel's performance drop significantly at higher altitudes and are best flown below 12,000ft.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »

Another thing too is that the Dr.I and Camel's performance drop significantly at higher altitudes and are best flown below 12,000ft.

ack-ack

I betcha the real ones flew significantly lower then that  back then  :)

I agree at some point some will get it up a little higher But most will end up staying low as the bumper car mentality that is the AH furball will still prevail.
and thats not a game design flaw as I cant say enough what a good job HTC did with this one. Its a player flaw.All HTC can do is provide the tools. Its up to us to build the house

I just think it would be more fun to have groups meeting at higher altitudes. And I think eventually thats where most of the more skilled players are going to end up as they learn how to actually fly these planes to their true strengths
Its not hard to watch for plane damage. Just watch your airspeed
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »

sounds like a blast, something you should try to get going, I would be so up for that :aok

Seems I have a kindred spirit.

I'll be up in an hour or so. I'll see if we can get something going. Might be difficult to accomplish a relatively even sided fight though in an MA type atmosphere

Another observation
Funny thing is in WWI Im up as a rook. Real weird feeling giving check 6's and not shooting at names Im more used to either killing or cussing.
Im guessing my presence might seem to be a bit odd as well
Strange experience. When I first arrived my reception seemed somewhat cool. I felt almost like a newcommer..cept I recognised a bunch of names.
 But became decidedly warmer by the time I left as I think that some realized that for whatever an SOB I may seem like. Im equally likely to regularly give check 6's or charge in to clear a 6.

Tis understandable though. Im usually leery of fighting with groups of people I dont know myself till I know who I can trust
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
But the WWI arena could, benefit in my humble opinion, from a few added targets & mission types. Put in one bomber,

Well a bomber would be nice but as pointed out else where who would want to fly so far & drop a 50lb bomb over the side. Maybe this is the arena to bring back the AI aircraft in the form of a WWI bomber? Just a thought.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »
Well a bomber would be nice but as pointed out else where who would want to fly so far & drop a 50lb bomb over the side. Maybe this is the arena to bring back the AI aircraft in the form of a WWI bomber? Just a thought.

Who would fly for hours in the WWII MA's to bomb HQ or strats, that do not have any significant impact on gameplay... yet it happens ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
Who would fly for hours in the WWII MA's to bomb HQ or strats, that do not have any significant impact on gameplay... yet it happens ;)
14,000LBS makes a big bang. 50LBS not so big. I do understand your point though. I still think AI might add a something to WW1 arenas though.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »
14,000LBS makes a big bang. 50LBS not so big.

As long as you get "object destroyed" these are just numbers :)

On the subject AI.. I haven't made up my mind yet if I would welcome AI planes in the MA's or not.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »

On the subject AI.. I haven't made up my mind yet if I would welcome AI planes in the MA's or not.
I think it was done as far as development is concerned be a shame not to use it some place.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
I betcha the real ones flew significantly lower then that back then :)

You may be right considering the most famous of all met his demise at the hands of a ground gunner. If you take his word for it.

http://www.library.act.gov.au/find/history/frequentlyaskedquestions/act_memorial_stories/Red_Baron

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »
I think general fear of breaking up their plane or destroying the engine keeps a lot from grabbing any higher.  Less risk of damaging from overspeeding or breaking up your plane on the deck as opposed to 5k.  I think once people become more comfortable in the planes and how to keep the plane in the 'safe zone' (i.e. not damaging engine from overspeeding or breaking plane), they'll creep up higher and eventually we'll see Chalenge at 35,000ft trying to eek out a few more miles per gallon.

ack-ack
TRUE! In fact this gradually is happening. Today when I got on the fights were starting between 200-400ft. They didn't stay there long, but when the horde re-up'd it was way up there again.  :banana:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,