Author Topic: WWI match-up tactics  (Read 1734 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: WWI match-up tactics
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
Can someone tell me how to turn the Camel please?  It seems ludicrously unstable and I can't seem to stabilize it with rudder.  For example in a flat break turn the little ball flys all over no matter where I put the rudder.  It seems like I can get maximum turn rate with some position of rudder for awhile but then some other random position is required.  It seems like I'm sliding through the air and while I can sometimes turn with the D.7 or F.2B I cannot remotely keep up in a turn fight with the Dr.1.  I just can't get past the feeling I'm flying a bobble head.  What's the secret?

If your flying sideways in a turn your using to much rudder or too little throttle, keep your speed up in the turn. Have a look at how much airspeed you lose in level flight with full rudder, its quite significant considering the plane is very slow to start with. You've just got to get the feel for how much rudder you should be applying if it seems your slowing and hes gaining let off the rudder a bit, in a straight up flat turn all things equal a dr1 will easily out turn the camel. The best camel pilots I've seen use a yo yo rather than a flat turn and reset the turn fight by going vert with scissors if they sense their in trouble.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
You can also use your roll rate against Dr.Is, which don't appear to roll remarkably well, while the Camel can change directions very quickly. However her best roll is the right, so if you want to go left do a 270 roll to the right instead. If you can harness the snap roll she can really get rocking. She also swings VERY quickly through yo-yos to the right (ESPECIALLY the low yo). Wingovers to the right also work fairly well, the key is you want to take advantage of the massive amount of torque her engine puts out.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
With both the camel and the DrI in the vertical it is essential to start the nose dropping before reaching critial stall speed, or I find most often it turns into a very ugly flat stall to auger. But if you gets the nose moving earthwards before the stall, it is relatively easy to keep control. The camel is the worse of the two when it comes to flat spins, in my limited experience. But also if done correctly, the camel is the better of the two for fighting in the vertical. Niether of them are very forgiving if you screw up in the vert.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline maxy

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
good info guys thanks