Author Topic: Firefox 3.6  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Firefox 3.6
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »
I thoroughly detest, nay despise the whole "tab" approach.  I end up with a fraking mess on my hands everytime I try to use them.  Seems to add a whole slew of unneccessary clicks to the whole process of looking at WEB pages.  It is utter confusion run amok.

It I want to open a page in a new window, I can.  Right-click and open in a new window.  99% of time I do not want to do that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
Can you disable the whole tab thing?

With the top one unchecked, the only way you can "accidentally" make a tab happen is by clicking a link with the mousewheel. Otherwise they won't appear unless you right click and choose "open in new tab." Shift-click still opens a new window, and right-clicking a link still gives the Open in New Window option.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
What does the user interface look like these days?  Last time I installed FF, I had to reformat and reinstall Windows to get everything working again due to the stupid Sun Java crap.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
What does the user interface look like these days?  Last time I installed FF, I had to reformat and reinstall Windows to get everything working again due to the stupid Sun Java crap.

Screenshot of my FireFox, which is just the standard interface with tabs open and a few add-ons in the bottom right corner.

EDIT: Looks like I blocked the Home/Back/Forward/Refresh buttons with the File menu, but they are pretty much emulating IE's. The Home/Back have a pulldown for recent history. One of my favorite features is the interface buttons/history/favorites work like hyperlinks; middle-clicking one will open it in a new tab, shift-clicking will open a new window, ect.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:47:40 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
What about Java?  Does it still depend on the Sun java crap?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »
What about Java?  Does it still depend on the Sun java crap?

To install and use in a basic sense (like you do), no. Of course you need it for Java applets and whatnot, but the browser functions without it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems every frakin site on the net is making use of Java now.  Numpties, the lot of them.  I do what I can to blacklist those sites, but the damn banks insist on using it.  And they wonder why they get hacked so often?

Worst thing to happen to the net.  Crappy language too.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
That's one reason I love the NoScript add-on. Seems like something you'd like too. :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »
I just cannot afford to have it go awry again.  It takes days for me to get my computer back up and running when I have to install the OS.

The only sites I have to allow that Java crap to run on are the damn bank sites.  That means installing the Sun crap.  Not going to happen.

Back to the drawing board.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
I just cannot afford to have it go awry again.  It takes days for me to get my computer back up and running when I have to install the OS.

The only sites I have to allow that Java crap to run on are the damn bank sites.  That means installing the Sun crap.  Not going to happen.

Back to the drawing board.

Why donīt you try Sandboxie?

http://www.sandboxie.com/

It creates a "sandbox" in your drive. Then you browse using a sandboxed browser. Whatever crap happens, happens inside that sandbox. When you close it all is gone...

The sandbox is deleted.

Or if you wish to download a file, for example. You can take that file out of the sandbox, before it's deleted.

If you use Sandboxie no site is gonna harm your system. With Java or not. :aok

Mutley

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:54:02 PM by MutleyBR »
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »
I'm really shocked that Skuzz hasn't set up a virtual PC for web browsing purposes...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
Guys, the act of installing the Sun Java crap is what screwed me over last time.  It was the most intrusive piece of software I had ever installed.  I will never install it again.  I would do without Java altogether but, the idiotic banking institutions and places like Garmin require Java, what is the solution?  I have no love of IE, but at least its Java crap stays out of the way.

Virtual PC is just more layers on layers and does not solve the problem.  Sandbox does not solve the problem either.  It is yet another layer of software.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
It seems to me that FireFox and IE are equivalent in the Java area, FireFox benefiting from the NoScript add-on, no ActiveX, and being open source/more deeply configurable. But I'm sure you kill ActiveX anyway.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »
Yes, I kill ActiveX and Java scripts and Java as well and make use of the "Trusted Sites" zone for those I that absolutely require java/javascript to run.  Damn banks.

However, MS has its own Java and does not use the Sun crap, or they munge it up so it is not intrusive.  It may be slow and ugly, but at least it stays out of the way of everything else in the computer.

When Firefox can do away with the Sun crap, I'll give it a look now that I know tabs can be disabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
I'm confused here, when you say Java do you mean JavaScript? Because only one box I administer has Sun's JRE on it (an app requires it) none of the rest do and they all run Firefox (primarily to avoid the security nightmare that is ActiveX). afaik Firefox has never depended on Java.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli