Author Topic: WWI No icon areana  (Read 3063 times)

Offline CGAR

• Zinc Member
Re: WWI No icon areana
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
LOL define "more serious players" if you mean guys that want a surprise advantage over others and are willing spend copious amounts of time to gain that advantage, then perhaps your right.

LOL more serious players :D, maybe I should have said players looking for a new and different type of challenge.  I think creating a new advantage like hard to see enemies will add more flavor. If I am not mistaken that's one of the things that made dog fighting and this era so exciting. If camouflage/stealth had not been a problem in the WWI skies then there would have been no point in rear view mirrors or observers. Its just a simple add to an arena that is not being used at all. There can be no harm in one experiment whats the worst that can happen we make the game i.e ONE WWI arena slightly different and possibly more appealing and fun?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:56:48 PM by CGAR »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Well those 20 + are fools leaving themselves with no targets to shoot at

The no icon crowed tends to "even up" the sides as the concept of No icons in of it self draws the player looking for a quality experience. The "air quake"
 mentality generally doesn't exist.
Thinking ahead there will be more aircraft to choose from. Be confident.  :cheers:
I have no objection to one of the WWI arenas being no icons, I just think you are being unrealistically optimistic about players self policing for side balance.  The AvA supposedly drew people wanting a high class of game, but it did nothing to stop people from making the sides massively unbalanced.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:51 PM »
Nuts
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »
Not that I have any problem with the idea, I'd just prefer the AvA have a monopoly on the no-icon set up.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »
Heheh the age old tactic of somehow making my position more "mature, real, skilled, etc etc", I just don't buy it.  The fact that most folks perfer the icons in NO way (IMHO) makes them airquakers.  Most have played this game for the action and anything that takes away from action (i.e consumes more time to get to action) is viewed as an annoyance.  Icons and radar are simply in the game to make for quicker action, and since at the moment there is NO strat in WWI a no icon arena would simply eliminate one useful arena to accommodate a small number of guys that believe no icons makes them somehow better players than the rest.

Box I have been nothing but respectful in my posts sir. You slightly defencive and argumentative don't cha think? :headscratch:

If you re read  my post you may see were you misunderstood the spirit of it.

I was responding to a reply, saying that there is a air quake mentality with they type of guys that would not even up the sides.
 Not that all icon fliers are air Quaker's.

Please don't put words in my mouth and keep putting a negative spin on a reasonable request because YOU don't like the idea. This Idea isn't for you obviously.  

like I said I have no problem if guys like to fly icons its a choice and a right and if you have a hard time with your eye's you like to have em. NO problem sir.  :aok

But dint stop me from having a place to fly w/o icons that's my right too.  

Like I said if you don't like it don't fly in there.  I see no problem.

Most have played this game for the action and anything that takes away from action (i.e consumes more time to get to action) is viewed as an annoyance.
LOL  :rock
Belive me Box there is more action and more adrenaline pumping with no icons... why the BLLLEP ya think I'm pushing it ...I'm a sim-ahlolic... I fly for the action. I join the side with less players so I can have more targets :x

No icons is all about action and excitement.
The way the WWI arenas are set up you can see the dots from your base just turn em off and check for your self.

since at the moment there is NO strat in WWI a no icon arena would simply illiminate one useful arena to accomodate a small number of guys that believe no icons makes them somehow better players than the rest.
There are 4 areans only one is being used. That has between 50-80 guys in it... your calling the other 3 useful? Hmm what are they being used for? There empty. let a few guys that like the imagery of the wwI aircraft play in an arena with  Central power air craft fighting allied powers aircraft... bit more historically accurate ,an arena that has no icons making it much less cluttered and exiting to those that are drawn to that type of game play.

To each there own.
Some Like this

Some Like this

Not that I have any problem with the idea, I'd just prefer the AvA have a monopoly on the no-icon set up.
This Is about WWI  I would think anything to help guys get turned onto no icons would help the AVA And As your not into WWI... well Ill get to you on coms  :) ........Way to cover my six boss  ;)
RaVe  :salute
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:27:04 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
Well Rave I reread your post and it sure looked like you were saying the "quality" experience is with no icons, and that those who didn't want no icons had an "air quake" mentality.  I have no problem with your OPINION it is just when it is stated as FACT that I object.  If I could see as well on the computer as I can in real life (warthogs fly over my house daily) I would have no problem with no icons, but the facts for me are that I cannot see the shapes like I can in real life and therefore need some type of "aid" to find the enemy and to maintain "SA".

This is the wish area so you have every right to wish for what you please, first one arena goes to no icons and then one goes to the strat guys and then one goes to the gv folks etc etc and then there is only ONE dogfighting arena which fills quickly.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline ScatterFire

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »
Great idea!

Of course it is only a great idea when the graphic of the plane at 400 yrds looks the same on my laptop (including size and detail) as seeing it in real life.....

Oh wait, someone want to buy me a 60 inch monitor?  ;)
Scatter1:
With bullets of rubber and armor of tissue I throw myself at my enemy.

Law of Devine Intervention:
All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touchhole of your musket.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
Nr RaVeN,

Your choice of screenshots is a pretty crappy attempt to downplay the disadvantages of no icons.  If you want to be seen as presenting a fair argument, you need to show the same shot, with and without icons.  Showing one with icons with many other aircraft far away and one with two very close aircraft is disingenuous to put it mildly.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
I like the screenshot with the horde of red icons at 2k. That's barely over 1 mile's distance (danger close) and yet you can't see any of the ones near the ground at all. Just the icons show. The ones against the sky show as single dots.

I love how that illustrates the point perfectly.

P.S. Nobody is arguing you need icons when you're 25 yards from an enemy (as in your second choice of screenshot), at those ranges you're in the fight and you can figure things out. We're arguing that further out it is more than vital to have them. Even closing on a target up to 200 yards or so, you will have a hard time seeing any real detail without the aid of maxiumum zoom (which is not a real solution)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:07:57 AM by Krusty »

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 06:23:31 AM »

With all do respect  Mr K.......
:rofl WHAT? YOU  KNOW FULL WELL that's a compresses jaggy screen shot Its a static screen shot as well.

Actually you can see them, as the dot's movement shows up very clearly , illustrating you haven't any first hand experience with  it.

The dots show up very well against the ground in game at 2k. You can see the gun fire and explosions. Anybody with 3 days experience knows what  there looking for.
 I'm sure a smart guy like you could connect the dots(no pun intended)

With The WWI A C 2k is not Danger close pfft..

Kind of a cheap shot Krusty.

Based that it would not effect any other arena why bother posting anything read rule #4.

Its not like I'm requesting the MA be converted. you afraid pepole will like it so much it will change the sim and you will lose your icons?

That will never happen .

If theres a place were there is room to do it why not allow it?

Try it first theres no need to toss a grenade into a thread and be as unreasonable as some of you are about it.....

Again this would be a separate arena one out of 4, were only one is active now

Obviously wouldn't interest some of you that post on speculation rather than input based on first hand experience.

But there are many that would like this venue.

You  posted

On the other hand, I do agree that seeing the screenshots thus far, it has been pretty cluttered.... Perhaps a "smaller" icon, or some minimal version of it for the WW1 arenas? Really clutters up the sky from the vids and pics I've seen.

NOT because the icons are bad, but because they are ugly as sin.
exactly and as a skinner you would think you would understand the imagery of WWI is totally trashed with them on

So Just turn them off in one arena just one arena, only one, 1,  uno .

Do you think if I couldn't see or find a fight with icons off I would be actually promoting it?

Do you think I just want to fly around in circles? Think about it.. obviously it is fun to do,  not at all difficult. I don't have a big monitor and I do just fine. Its fun  :x

RaVe

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:11:44 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:00:04 AM »
Great idea!

Of course it is only a great idea when the graphic of the plane at 400 yrds looks the same on my laptop (including size and detail) as seeing it in real life.....

Oh wait, someone want to buy me a 60 inch monitor?  ;)
So wait, your lack of visual acuity is self imposed and it's all because of the program? Stop playing on a laptop, or hook it up to a bigger screen...you would be surprised at what you can see on a 22 inch monitor using the zoom function...I don't have much problem seeing what I need to see out to 800 yards...yes there are limitations, and they are based on the way objects are rendered, but within normal fighting ranges that you would encounter in any arena...you can very well see what you need to see.

If you want to complain about something, try the ambient lighting effects that don't match real life...that's what makes it difficult to spot other planes, painted or not, low on the deck regardless of what position the sun is in...unless you're very close.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CGAR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
Like Rave said its one UNused arena.  It that type of play is not for you then don't bother selecting it.  I feel while we a are still in the early stages this type of game 'WW1' lets experiment and see if we can make it more appealing.  Choice is not a bad thing for customers.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
Like Rave said its one UNused arena.  It that type of play is not for you then don't bother selecting it.  I feel while we a are still in the early stages this type of game 'WW1' lets experiment and see if we can make it more appealing.  Choice is not a bad thing for customers.

but you have a choice, just turn icons off for you :rock
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
but you have a choice, just turn icons off for you :rock
you also have a choice...bigger monitor would be the first...  :rock
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
I've hit on a very nice compromise for myself.  Icons size 10.  Enemy forest green, friendly turquoise.