Author Topic: Perk pts in the dueling arena  (Read 2740 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Perk pts in the dueling arena
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »
I never have understood why F3 is :mad: enabled in the DA anyway...  Anyone know what the thinking behind allowing it is?

A lot of the guys that flew 8 player rooms used F3 mode.  When those rooms shut down they had no place to fly in F3 so HTC enabled it in the DA. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
I'd actually prefer a real "DUELING ARENA" separate from a kind of "FURBALL ARENA". That way you could actually enable 262s in the real "DA" without having a problem. As it is, the current DA is kind of the worst of both worlds - some perk planes enabled for the sake of being able to duel with them (but not all - eg no 262s or 163s), but the furball area overpopulated with the allowable perk planes like Tempests and CHogs.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
I kinda liked the DA with 262s and 163s and wish they would be re-enabled, but there would be too many whines  :cry
Maybe if the map could be changed where the jet island was WAY out of the way of anything else in the DA it would pe a plausible idea? Or at least an island with 60K mountains around it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
I kinda liked the DA with 262s and 163s and wish they would be re-enabled, but there would be too many whines  :cry
Maybe if the map could be changed where the jet island was WAY out of the way of anything else in the DA it would pe a plausible idea? Or at least an island with 60K mountains around it.
Then there will always be that 262 @ 60K + 200 FEET on his way back.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
I'd actually prefer a real "DUELING ARENA" separate from a kind of "FURBALL ARENA". That way you could actually enable 262s in the real "DA" without having a problem. As it is, the current DA is kind of the worst of both worlds - some perk planes enabled for the sake of being able to duel with them (but not all - eg no 262s or 163s), but the furball area overpopulated with the allowable perk planes like Tempests and CHogs.

Yes, me too with a perk system in the furball arena.
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
For the last week when the perk system was in play it was a balance DA there was just the right amount of temps same as for the Chogs.I myself did not see anyone upset,and many would agree with that if anything it was a peaceful with the smack talk,so what I am saying no one seemed to care about the perk points if anything people enjoyed it.From the skilled pilots down to the new arrivals they all had a better chance of learning and getting the kills.On this note cant there be a arena with two bases set up like the DA with the perk system on and only be able to use the perks in that area only?You can leave out the 262 and the bombers.How hard is it to have a two base perk.points rank arena?

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »
CRAP !!!!! i missed the perk festival?
frogs are people too

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
So Skuzzy, is the final answer for us to go to the WWI arena b/c that is the closest thing to the gameplay I'm talking about?  That's a fair answer I suppose, but it leaves out the whole WWII plane set for a balanced dogfighting environment which I think is unfortunate since that is the purpose of this game. Also, I'm sure u guys have already noticed it, but the WWI arena is out of balance much of the time with respect to number of players on a country since there is no perk system to balance it.  That means that WWI is really not the answer to our request.

Please understand that I am not trying to be a nuisance with these questions. I have a lot of respect for how you guys have created and administer this game. I just think a lot of ppl would like this type of arena that I'm describing and I have always wondered why there has never been one.  I know you guys know what is good for your game more than we do so I would like to know the reasoning behind not having a balanced furball arena. .
AoM

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
I just came from the DA and it was dead. 5 on total in the span of an hour and only me and another guy flying. Usually this time of day there's 10 or 15 in there.

There's no stats to look at now.  :)  That tells me what most of the little rascal DA squads were there for. :rolleyes: I honestly think if there wasn't a scoring system in this game, we'd have like 50 people playing.  :eek:

HTC is in a catch22...damned if you do, damned if ya don't.

Lighten up Francis

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:01 AM »
I've been meaning to write a post about the perk system in the DA and have read all posts up to this point.  I 100% agree with SunBat and his posts. 

I started this game in feb. 09 so I've been here a year now.  I enjoy the aerial combat like so many others in the game.  When I go to the MA and look for a fight I can't up from the base that already has a cap so I up from the next closest base that puts a 10 min flight to get there before the fight begins.  The aerial fights in the MA are always either your team outnumbers them or they outnumber you.  You hardly ever find a even number of players in a furball. 

That's what I love about the DA and why for the most part I spend the majority of my time in there.  You take off from your base and 3 min. your in a fight. 

Skuzzy you've said before that the DA has evolved into something that HTC didn't mean to happen.  Why is that such a bad thing if your customers are enjoying the atmosphere that you guys at HTC are providing.  I believe the bottom line is we keep giving you our $15 dollars every month because were enjoying the game.  I would take that as a positive in business if I stumbled upon something that made people buy and not a negative.

The perk system in the DA over the past Week
It's been a blast and so many were having fun with less gripping and complaining over the chat.  Might have seen 5 tempests all week.  Seen a lot of familiar faces from the MA come in and fly and the ones I talked to said they enjoyed it also.  I don't see the problem for enabling perks at A1,A2,A3 as it is not used for dueling anyways, those are strictly furball bases.  A lot of people like furballing and Skuzzy you talk as you are putting the furball arena down when that is providing you guys over 1,000 dollars a month in income.  70+ guys fly at the lake and just because it happened and wasn't intended to happen, you just want to throw away a 1,000 dollars a month?  This is what Sunbat was talking about is that people like the WWII environment but no balance in there with all the temps flying around and hoing.  I have no problem with a Niki hoing because I can out run him but you can't out run a temp that's the problem in there.  Some guys in there want fight you in a temp they extend and then turn around and ho you again that's the main thing that is frustrating.  The balance of the perk system is needed. 

The Future of Dueling at it's best
 A while back there was a post about dueling and having an arena that would be a ranked/unranked dueling ladder and I believe Kazaa had this idea not sure.  The arena would put you in a lobby where everyone would be and chat/voice would be enabled.  You could click on a person's name and challenge them or just check a box stating ready to duel ranked and another check box that says ready to duel for fun/unranked.  When the fight is ready the system would show you a box saying 15 sec until your fight begins which gives you time to get set and ready to go.  Once the time clock hits 0 your automatically put in a plane and in the air 6k away from your opponent at 300mph.  The system message should show you what plane you are in.  That's the arena everyone is dying to have or something similar to it.

Thanks for listening,

:salute
TnDep

Oh yea and put the scoring system back in there like uptown said.  Whats the deal with that anyways it's been in there forever and I watched it to see my improvement with k/d and hit percentage. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:07:32 AM by TnDep »
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »
I just came from the DA and it was dead. 5 on total in the span of an hour and only me and another guy flying. Usually this time of day there's 10 or 15 in there.

There's no stats to look at now.  :)  That tells me what most of the little rascal DA squads were there for. :rolleyes: I honestly think if there wasn't a scoring system in this game, we'd have like 50 people playing.  :eek:

HTC is in a catch22...damned if you do, damned if ya don't.

damned if someone spills the beans.  :furious :furious :furious

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
I not for a scoring system. I think it just causes too many problems with people getting along and can bring out some bad game play.  That's just my personal view. I do however understand that the majority do like the stats page. It makes since for HTC to have something like that to attract business and crowds.

My stats have stayed them same now for a couple of years, so i kind of know what they are usually without looking. But i have to admit i use to look at my stats all the time, but it became clear that I wasn't improving because i ran away from the fights i didn't think i could win, as to not mess up my score.

I'll never make it to the #1 spot so i just quit trying. Now i just try to win the fight i'm in and let the chips fall where they may. Over time folks will know if you can fly good or not.  :salute

Lighten up Francis

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
I not for a scoring system. I think it just causes too many problems with people getting along and can bring out some bad game play.  That's just my personal view. I do however understand that the majority do like the stats page. It makes since for HTC to have something like that to attract business and crowds.

My stats have stayed them same now for a couple of years, so i kind of know what they are usually without looking. But i have to admit i use to look at my stats all the time, but it became clear that I wasn't improving because i ran away from the fights i didn't think i could win, as to not mess up my score.

I'll never make it to the #1 spot so i just quit trying. Now i just try to win the fight i'm in and let the chips fall where they may. Over time folks will know if you can fly good or not.  :salute

Very good approach to the game.
The only real stat I'm concerned with is my hit percentage, a pathetic 5.5%. The rest don't matter to me, because I'm in it for the fight. I have always felt that in order to improve I have to fight in situations where I can't win. Outnumbered, against better stick, and using inferior equipment to my competition are all things I do to help me be a little bit better cartoon pile-it. :airplane:

I do find it a little bit funny the HTC may have accidentally stumbled onto something with the perk system in the DA. I'm kind of shocked that there wasn't a flood of whines on the bulletin boards while it was in effect. Or maybe there was, just sent directly to HTC.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
Scoring in DA and squads  :rofl

There are the problems.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:24:47 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)