Author Topic: Dirigables?  (Read 278 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Dirigables?
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
How useful were they in WWI really. I've seen some pretty cool stuff in the movies, but in reality how much of it was really useful? There is a lot of chatter in game about balloons, blimps, Or dirigibles. If they were real and contributed an impact on the war, I would like to see them added.  :aok
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Dirigables?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »
Psychologically they had a great impact (a huge mass materializing out of the clouds in the dead of night with an ominous drone and indiscriminately sewing death and carnage below it is usually good for sapping morale) but militarily didn't have much of an impact, especially not on the Western Front- British and French defenses caught up with them pretty quick, and the usually dismal weather over England and the Channel made them less than reliable as precision weapons.

They were more effective on the Eastern Front, where defenses were much less well developed (they made several devastating raids in Romania (especially on Bucharest), the Balkans and the Dardanelles) and weather was generally more favorable.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.