Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7398 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2010, 06:49:59 AM »
Does it look like a real cave to you?  :neener:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
Those videos and photographs are absolutely stunning. I certainly hope cleanup isn't terrible.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2010, 02:17:05 AM »
It is going to be quite some work.
But....that is that.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
At least the dentists evacuated your island. :D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
I can't help grinning whenever I see the word 'evacuated' mis-used - which means I grin a lot these days, thanks to errant newscasters who don't know any better.

An evacuation is an emptying, to evacuate means to empty - so it's funny to hear of people being evacuated. What with, a stomach pump? It's buildings and places that are evacuated, not the people in them. Unless fear of those dentists has abruptly loosened their bowels, of course.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »
So hows she doin? Any changes?

A lot of people have been affected by this but no one nearly as much as those living in her shadow. A lot of people are forgetting that. I just want to express my concern for you Icelanders and my appreciation for your correspondence and good attitude, Angus. We're pullin' for ya.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
Anyone else catch this little gem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mHZgP9vkc

:lol
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2010, 02:50:09 AM »
A couple of friends of mine, Father and son went to visit the Volcano in a Cessna Caravan from Ireland although I have no idea why they flew via Barcelona. I suppose they were dropping someone off or rescuing someone stranded. This is their video. There is extensive training on how to pronounce the damm thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_HlJe4aFU&feature=player_embedded

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2010, 06:00:45 AM »
LOL, that video was good! And what a ride they had.
Newest news are that the smoke and ash is now NW bound, so there have been a lot of flights this morning. I can see the eruption now, and the ashes who fall on the glacier side, painting it somewhat ash-grey.
At times one hears the rumbles from exploding bubbles etc. Some of our dogs went quite afraid in the beginning but are now getting used to it.
There is a lot of cleaning in process, where farmlands and farms were hit with up to 10 cm layer of the ash, which basically resembles cement powder. I was lucky, only had a little "taste" of the thing.
Well, that's....living on a volcanic island. What would you expect:D
BTW, the very first eruption has stopped. That will be a sight to see later on, - fresh crusty lava, mmmm.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 07:52:15 AM »
Here is a very good video which shoes how the air traffic was paralyzed for some time:
http://gizmodo.com/5525888/this-is-how-air-space-reboots

Now I am getting the ash over my head. It is fine, grey, and has some odd salty-sour flavour. If it comes down with the rain it is sour, quite much actually.
I will get test results from surface water today, - from a little brook where the horses get the drinking water. Apparantly a lot of the fish in it is dead.
Yeachhh Eyjafjallajökull!!!!

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
The solution
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
 :rofl
Forgot to call in the cavalry.
Unfortunately It didn't work still itching from todays sour rain. Shower time!!!

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »
I did read this thread a while back, but then something else came up so I didn't have the time to reply...

Angus, we're really glad to hear that you guys are ok after that (the first thing was to check the O'club after hearing the volcano erupt ;))

And having been to Iceland and to Angus' farm, I'd recommend that to everyone. It's just such a short distance to the volcanoes and you can easily get there and back from Reykjavik in a day. Having been there, I can recommend it. :aok

And as a private message to Angus, the baby is growing up fast and developing rapidly, each week something new. Looking forward to when I can start teaching him the WW2 aeroplane stuff. :) Well that's not one of my priorities, but we're getting there day by day...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
Thank you so much!!! And congrats with the "development" Panzzer!
Now...Volcano...making rumbling sounds in windstill and 30 tonnes of lava per minute...
We are indeed close to the crater....32 kilometers.
It is a sight, - sometimes, - and a load of trouble.
People are doing a great work of helping each other out. Just offered fields for summer culture to a guy that brushed a half-inch of ashes off his horses this morning!
It is a sight, and from where I live it is more of a show than direct trouble.
But....the trouble of my friends is my trouble....
All the best for you.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Angus, stay safe, and give our (me & Mia and the little one) greetings to the family. :)
<S>
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3