Author Topic: new headset  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Chauncy

• Copper Member
Re: new headset
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »
I still have my SB audio card (forgot exact version off hand, I am not at that comp at moment)  Every time I get a new machine I disable the on board sound and plug this card in.  It is an old friend.  Never fails me in voice communications and the hardware buffers ensure I get all the channels I need for game sounds.

But the rule is, whatever you are happy with works for you.  Glad you got something you like. 

Also, I have some great headsets that are full over the ear coverage.  Blocks out most external distracting noise (aka wife), and, I have ordered replacement pads so the 15 year old headsets feel like new ever cpl years when I replace the pads.  I have no memory so will log on when I get home and give the name of my audio card and the headsets.  Note, the headsets were appx $100 but since I have had them for 15 years I think I have gotten my money's worth.  Besides, the padding on the ears allow me to loop a mic over the ear so it sits just to the side of my mouth.  That type of mic is the one on many cheap stores that come with the pencil lenght stand to clip it on.  I threw away the stand long ago hehehe.

:cheers:

Got Dolphins?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
No, the sound device decides nothing.  The sounds are all produced according to thier location in 3D space.  DirectSound handles the actual positioning by adjusting the volumn and spread based on the parameters we give it.  All sounds are then played through the correct speaker(s) to produce its location in 3D space.

There is no encoding/decoding done by the sound card or headset.  Forcing any decoding will screw up the sound positioning.

and since AH does the sound this way, you can tell which direction the enemy is coming from ........ even using your views you hear the sound change directions( example... I use my 8 way hat switch and cycle it around from forward clockwise, I can hear the sound change in my Plantronic's non-USB Headset or in my Audiovox cheapo non-USB headset)....... so I have no need to buy a 138 dollar USB headset, since AH already provides the sound in a 3 dimensional aspect....... I do use a Creative Xtreme Fatality pro PCI SoundCard though.....

if you use speakers, you will be limited by your speaker setup, whether you have surround sound speakers or not.... 2 speakers/2 speakers & SubWoofer/ 5 spkrs/7 spkrs etc...

YMMV.......
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:20:41 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
I still have my SB audio card (forgot exact version off hand, I am not at that comp at moment)  Every time I get a new machine I disable the on board sound and plug this card in.  It is an old friend.  Never fails me in voice communications and the hardware buffers ensure I get all the channels I need for game sounds.

:cheers:
Wish I could with my SB live 5.1..... Creative has no plans to release divers for win7 64. :furious
See Rule #4

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
hey lawndart got the g35 sound is awesome.  I also used black electrical tape to attach the trakir clip.  what I liked best about it, is placed cd in, connected usb headset and that was it.  no messing around with the mike in windows it worked automatically.   :x.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
No, the sound device decides nothing.  The sounds are all produced according to thier location in 3D space.  DirectSound handles the actual positioning by adjusting the volumn and spread based on the parameters we give it.  All sounds are then played through the correct speaker(s) to produce its location in 3D space.

There is no encoding/decoding done by the sound card or headset.  Forcing any decoding will screw up the sound positioning.

so we get 3D effect sound on 2 stereo channels, not true surround sound on multiple channels to feed to a 5.1/7.1 system?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:03 AM »
Semp I am glad you like it. Have you had the chance to use the voice changer yet?? Love the spaced out squirrel.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
so we get 3D effect sound on 2 stereo channels, not true surround sound on multiple channels to feed to a 5.1/7.1 system?

that's how all stereo headphones are, every last one.

You can't have surround with 2 speakers, and you only get 1 speaker over each ear.

Most just simulate surround with clever placement and mixing of the sounds into those 2 speakers.

That's why "surround headphones" IMO are a gimmick. I get some really cool surround sound effects off my 10 year old Boston digital speakers (2.1 setup) and my SB Audigy1 sound card. I don't need surround or special headphones, when I get that effect already.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
sure, 2 speakers, 2 channels. just wanted to confirm what AH generates before making the point that any surround headsets like the psykoaudio ones arent going to give you surround sound.

since lots of players are using very big screens/multiple monitor setups it seems a shame they cant use surround sound as well. quite a few folks have 5.1 systems already for home cinema, would be great to have the option to use them for AH too, and perfect for simpits.

edit: have you finished your FrankenHOTAS yet?  I need your P40 for bait ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:52:09 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
If you have 5.1/7.1/22.5 (or whatever) speakers, you get true 3D sound placement, from the game, as long as you tell Windows the speaker configuration.

If your speaker configuration is 2, then you only get stereo sound with sound placement being limited to left/right.  Front/back is simulated via volumn level control for a 2 speaker system.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:02:12 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
ok got it ty :aok

one more question :D does AH send Directsound any sounds for the .1 LF effects channel? or does directsound just use the sub component of the game sounds for the .1 channel?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
I always thought the .1 (subwoofer) was automatically filtered out and sent out via the sound card. Windows doesn't recognize my 2.1 (only lists 2) but I still get benefit from my sub. Makes all the difference in the world compared to a 2.0 speaker setup.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »
yeah thats how the .1 ch is normally used, but not what its intended for. its supposed to be for low frequency effects - stuff you feel rather than hear, and therefore not directional.

a 5.1 example for AH would be a large bomb exploding within earshot of a GV. from the GV first you should see the explosion (speed of light), then feel the blast using the .1 channel (blast propagates through the ground), shortly after that hear the blast from the direction of the bomb drop using the 5 speakers (speed of sound in air).
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
LFE are filtered by DirectSound and sent to the sub automatically.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
Remember when Skuzzy talks you "Herd it through the Grapevine", Texas that is.