Author Topic: Custom Mic Volume Settings  (Read 473 times)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Custom Mic Volume Settings
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
Dear HiTech,

Is there anyway we as a player(s), can adjust somebody's microphone up to 100%.  Example, there are a few players, whom happen to be nice guys, but are soooo loud on their mic (and will not adjust it), that it makes me uneasy. 

Can you put a function for example: .mic gameid 75

The 75 is a number that is 75% volume of a certain player.  Could be 50, 65, 90, ect...

Is is possible to do?
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Custom Mic Volume Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Ventrillo & TeamSpeak work like that, shouldn't be too hard to do........

+1
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
Magnavox had a tv set back in the '80s that supposedly could keep the volume of ads from being louder than regular programming.  Either it didn't work, or it worked too good.  They might have nixed it after getting death threats from ad agencies.  :noid 

If we could set a decibel limit on vox in general, then you could crank it up to hear the whisperers and not lose your eardrums to the guys with the hi-po mics.  Would be less complicated and a "set it and forget it" (thank you RONCO - love the rotisserie  :)) type of thing.  Might not be possible though.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »
OH YES!!!  Didn't even think about that....  HTC could ad a "limiter" to the audio output.

Magnavox had a tv set back in the '80s that supposedly could keep the volume of ads from being louder than regular programming.  Either it didn't work, or it worked too good.  They might have nixed it after getting death threats from ad agencies.  :noid 

If we could set a decibel limit on vox in general, then you could crank it up to hear the whisperers and not lose your eardrums to the guys with the hi-po mics.  Would be less complicated and a "set it and forget it" (thank you RONCO - love the rotisserie  :)) type of thing.  Might not be possible though.

The only downside would be it would need to be adjustable for people with bad hearing. 
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
There is also some quirkiness with individual systems....

Playing with 71 Sqn and playing with USMC in FSO, there are some players that I cannot hear at all (too faint) but others hear just fine. There are some that others can barely hear, but I can hear just fine. Then there's some that are rather loud, but others don't hear it that way.

There's so many variations on the end result, I figured it was a combination of each system's settings and maybe some sort of lag.

I'd love a way to boost low voxes without blowing my ears out on the already normal ones.

if we're adding sound gates (to cut off high vox) can we also add a booster? If <GAMEID>'s vox falls below a certain level, AH will artificially boost it (static and all, whatever! Just so long as you can hear it!) so that you can properly communicate?

I'd love both options.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »
A noise gate would actually not allow low volumes to pass through it's ............ gate.   :eek:

You speak of a limiter sir. 

See Rule #4

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:58:46 PM »
These are good ideas.  I would think though at each person is at 100%, regardless of output right?  So the only thing it would be from a range of 1-100 i would think.  100+ may be a little hard to come by,  but we'll let Skuzzy determine that.

Hopefully he reads this thread.  :pray
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
A noise gate would actually not allow low volumes to pass through it's ............ gate.   :eek:

Yes, thank you. I get those 2 mixed up.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
Don't sweat it.....  I work in broadcasting nowadays and never remember which is which.     :salute
Yes, thank you. I get those 2 mixed up.
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
Heh, I did SR over a year and enjoyed it, but still mix 'em up!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
think this idea is great.  however I noticed that some people will say on radio that so and so's mike is too soft, but I can hear him loud and clear.  So I am guessing it has to do with our sound (assuming everthing is ok) and not him.  or maybe something is interfering with the sound.  again its a great idea if somehow there was a volume for voice only and everybody would sound at the same level selected.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
I have the same problem with low talkers. Would be great if it fixed that problem. +1  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »

Being the father of three boys, I know all about noise passing through gates. That's my experience in "broadcasting".  :bolt:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"