Author Topic: F4U's protective head plate?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: F4U's protective head plate?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
[posted twice due to server hang up]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:52:28 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Exactly.  The rear view is not obscured at all.  Try taking up a Hellcat or P-39.  Both have huge blind spots.

The P-39 used to be the worst. The last patch fixed a head movement limitation so now you can move you head all the way forward. Makes a huge difference. With a Track IR, the P39 is now on of the Best for visibility [you still need to bob around the structure, but with Track IR it does this in real time so it's a piece of cake.] With fixed views it much improved but not as good as a Pony or the other bubble canopies.

Funny I used to read how pilots loved the visibility and could never understand it when flying the plane in the game. Now I get it.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »
(By the way, beautiful pic of that P-39 in your avatar, Vinkman.)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
(By the way, beautiful pic of that P-39 in your avatar, Vinkman.)

I have the hi-res version if you PM me an e-mail I'll sent it to you. This is actually a P-63 Kingcobra, they look very similar.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
That is one of the reasons I tend not to fly the F4U. I've been shot down many times because of that plate.
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
That is one of the reasons I tend not to fly the F4U. I've been shot down many times because of that plate.

Enough said.  :rofl
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Rios

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »
As a former Black Sheep i have seen this a problem in flying F4U's
However, it took a total of 30 seconds to fix

1.hold 0 and use your pageup/pagedown keys to move forward
2.then press f10
Then the headplate is not a problem

>Problem Solved<
CO-303rd BG (H) "Hell's Angels" RECRUITING
Ingame ID-barbeque

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
As a former Black Sheep i have seen this a problem in flying F4U's
However, it took a total of 30 seconds to fix

1.hold 0 and use your pageup/pagedown keys to move forward
2.then press f10
Then the headplate is not a problem

>Problem Solved<

:aok

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
Wow and here I thought that plate was there to keep the sun off my noggin all these years.

By the way is this meaningful?

The F4U-1A incorporated a semi-bubble canopy (replacing the earlier 'birdcage' type), with only 2 reinforcing bars in the upper surface. A taller tail wheel strut was also incorporated (lengthened by 6.48 inches). All subsequent F4U-1A's, as well as Goodyear FG-1D's (# 1001 onwards), and Brewster F3A-1's (# 650 onwards) had the R-2800-8W engine. The built-in bounce of the oleos was eliminated once and for all in 1944.

The F4U-1B was an F4U-1A featuring a fuselage centerline hard point and clipped wings (delivered to the British Fleet Air Arm).

Incorporated into the first F4U-1C was the installation of a Jack & Heinz electric starter in place of the starter cartridge. The -1C was cannon-equipped, with 20mm cannons in place of the 6 machine guns. It was first delivered in June 1944. Goodyear and Brewster made no equivalent model of the -1C. On the -1C and -1D, the 63 gallon leading edge wing tanks were deleted. Very few of the -1C were actually produced.

The F4U-1D appeared off the assembly line in April 1944. The Goodyear equivalent, the FG-1D, commenced rolling off the Akron, OH. assembly line in September 1944. The Brewster F3A-1D did not go into production, as Brewster went out of business in July 1944. The F4U-1D (Bu # 57583 on, being the 803rd F4U-1D, and the FG-1D, had a completely clear bubble canopy which became known as the clear-vision canopy, unlike its predecessor whose canopy was 'bubble' but not completely clear, still with the two reinforcing plates, one each side. During production of the -1D, a cut-out step was added to the right inboard flap to facilitate entry to the cockpit.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/cafcorsair/Corsair%20The%20History%20Unfolds%20Page%202.html
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.