Author Topic: Memoirs Of A Mega Squad  (Read 5827 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Memoirs Of A Mega Squad
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
uhhhh, wasn't this last bit of CJ bashing started by you and Squat1 criticizing a NOE 110 mission going INTO a huge furball?  :headscratch:

Not exactly sure about the straight up whoopin' comment either, but we agree to disagree.   :aok

:salute
It could have been left at that but you all typed .report :aok .

I already told raccdog on vox.......its about quality, not quantity.

The mission was pointed straight toward the fighter hangars at an already dieing furball. Another way IMO to take the path of least resistence.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
I would argue that you are incorrect in your line of thinking that the "purpose" of the MA is to win the war.  I would argue that the purpose of the MA is to provide player versus player conflict and competition.  That base taking is merely a means to an end, and when all the bases are gone you have to reset the map since there's nothing left to fight over.  That ultimately the most satisfaction and enjoyment comes not from taking with little opposition but when something is hard fought and won.

Awhile back I was on the staff for the old Combat Theater, now the AvA, when I had to run a set up I would look at plane vs. plane performance and tried to steer away from planes that had very different strengths.  A P-51 vs A6M fight is IMHO not one that should be put in a set up because it will get boring to both sides, instead I would look at things like F6F vs Ki84, or 51 vs 190D.  I'm a firm believer that on a certain level my enjoyment and satisfaction of the game is based on my opponents enjoyment and satisfaction, otherwise he/she will stop playing then I'm left with nothing to shoot at.

To speak to skill level everyone here started at the bottom, with nothing and had to build up from there, the problem with covering your weakness is that it remains a weakness.  The way to remove that weakness is to address it and hopefully overcome it.  That's why I'm still here 10 years later, I'm still learning things which is what keeps the game fresh and me coming back.

Great stuff........read with an open mind if you like taking land :rock
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
It could have been left at that but you all typed .report :aok .

I already told raccdog on vox.......its about quality, not quantity.

The mission was pointed straight toward the fighter hangars at an already dieing furball. Another way IMO to take the path of least resistence.

Well unfortunately I wasn't around for the .report fiasco.  We don't need to rehash that.  :devil

Like you said...your opinion

:salute

Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
If all you want to do is furball aimlessly, please go to the DA! That's what it's for! The MA has a goal behind the furballing and base-taking... I play to win the war, within the rules of the game.

I play to furball and there is no goal in AH except to have fun. You have fun your way, I'll have fun mine.

Admittedly, I find a squad of 13 WINGS abhorrent to game play, many agree with me, including Hitech looking at his old posts.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
What is your opinion for what is good for gameplay? Is the MA not setup for base taking and is a map reset not the goal and definition of what that arena is designed for? I understand that there are those that want to demonstrate their uber piloting skills, but not everyone has excellent skills myself included. We all pay to play here. I enjoy when we get organized and run a few missions as a group, we have fun with each other and often other squads join us. It's a game for christ's sake, as long as we are playing by the rules why does anyone else care what we do? There is no chain of command to determine if or when a squad may run a mission or how. I can assure you that the CJ's do not care what any other squad does with their time on this game at any time. Last time I checked this was still a free country and we should have the liberty to run our squad as we see fit as long as we abide by the rules that hitech has set.

I call it exploiting our strengths and covering our weaknesses.

cav1ltpb

Can you read this, and look at it with an open mind, can you read this without taking it personal and just as what it is meant.... a discussion? If so continue.

Both you and Mav1914 sound as if your defending mega squad missions, much as the CJ's are known for. You say it's your$15 and your not breaking any rules so you'll play the way you want. OK, just as a little senario, lets say 10 or 12 of the top fighter jocks got together and followed you around all night and your mega squad never gets out of the radar ring of the base you launched from. Are you still having fun? I don't think so, but on the other side of the coin the fighter jock are having a BLAST! After all they are not breaking any rules, it's their $15 and they can play anyway they want.... Right?

Good game play is where everyone has fun. While this game has a lot of spots for intense competition it is still a game is suppose to be fun. When your out with the guys playing poker while everybody is trying to "win" nobody is trying to make the other guy go broke. You want to run missions and take bases, GREAT !! just make it fun not only for your team, but the other as well. You end up with 20 guys in your mission send 5 of them off to a different base to pork radar and ords, maybe de-ack just to get it ready for the next mission. This way in stead of a horde taking one base you have to fights develop, more of your teammates have parts in the mission. Sure it's a bit harder but that makes all players better eventually. And by creating 2 smaller fights you might get some competition to try and stop you, and we all know it's more fun when you have to fight for it.

The game is suppose to be fun and challenging. Mega squads/groups are killing that fun.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

Can you read this, and look at it with an open mind, can you read this without taking it personal and just as what it is meant.... a discussion? If so continue.

Both you and Mav1914 sound as if your defending mega squad missions, much as the CJ's are known for. You say it's your$15 and your not breaking any rules so you'll play the way you want. OK, just as a little senario, lets say 10 or 12 of the top fighter jocks got together and followed you around all night and your mega squad never gets out of the radar ring of the base you launched from. Are you still having fun? I don't think so, but on the other side of the coin the fighter jock are having a BLAST! After all they are not breaking any rules, it's their $15 and they can play anyway they want.... Right?

Good game play is where everyone has fun. While this game has a lot of spots for intense competition it is still a game is suppose to be fun. When your out with the guys playing poker while everybody is trying to "win" nobody is trying to make the other guy go broke. You want to run missions and take bases, GREAT !! just make it fun not only for your team, but the other as well. You end up with 20 guys in your mission send 5 of them off to a different base to pork radar and ords, maybe de-ack just to get it ready for the next mission. This way in stead of a horde taking one base you have to fights develop, more of your teammates have parts in the mission. Sure it's a bit harder but that makes all players better eventually. And by creating 2 smaller fights you might get some competition to try and stop you, and we all know it's more fun when you have to fight for it.

The game is suppose to be fun and challenging. Mega squads/groups are killing that fun.

They always self destruct. It's inevitable. Mega squads come and go regularly. It's just a matter of time.

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
Ive never understood why everyone hates the "gangbangers", the "hordes' the "pickers and vulchers" the "NOE raiders" the "2v1" the "he cleared my 12" the " hey they bombed our FH how dare they" etc etc.  I thought the MA was for everyone to play in and have fun however they wanted to regardless of how others played as long as it was not breaking any rules. I guess what i dont get is there is a DA that seems to fit exactly what everyone wants. You can have a 1v1 all day long and nobody will bomb your hangers or gangbang or steal your fight or do anything every seems to hate about the MA.

The only thing the DA dont do is keep score but then again who cares about scores. Ive only ran into the mega squads a few times i guess but they seem to do there thing and we do ours and most times there free kills because there obsessed with doing there own thing. *shrug* I'm sure ill get a ear full because of my opinion but i just never understood i guess why everyone that finds so many faults with the ma's dont all just get together and play in the DA and make up there set of rules and have a blast.

No disrespect intended here just a honest question from a somewhat newer player that sees the same problems pop up almost every day and the simple solution seems to be the DA.

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
First off, thanks Delirium and Fugitive for keeping the discussion out of the gutter.  I think Skuzzy's house-cleaning is keeping this thread that way.

I read both of your posts and I offer this:

First to Fugitive and his 13 wing comment.  Yes, we have 13 wings (I use your number, I didn't check).  I think maybe 1 or 2 of those are full.  A lot just have a handful of guys in them.  It is a result of everyone having invite privileges.  We've had internal discussion of how to fix it, but ultimately the decision was to leave it be.  

Delirium, if someone grouped up and decided to target us like that, then I say bring it!!!  I think that would be a challenge.  It would be fun.  As a squad we obviously don't care about score.  We have fun.  We used to run NOE LANC raids.  We'd all be dead by the time it was over.  We'd take the base or we wouldn't, either way, we were all laughing.  I'm sure the guys who upped and got all the kills had fun as well.  If you read these threads you'd think that CJs were the only ones who ever ran missions.  We all know that isn't true.  I've seen the Muppets, Jokers, etc all come in on NOE missions.  We also don't only run NOE missions.  My personal favorite mission to run is 4 plane fighter sweeps.  I like using wingman tactics and everyone getting some kills and all 4 landing together.  I've been a part of P51 attack runs.  We've done the things that you suggested.  No one talks about it b/c all they see is the 15 red dots coming in, then get on here and complain about it.  

My opinion is this, if AH pushes the CJs to disband then they need to take out the mission option on the clipboard.  Nothing we do is any different than you organizing a mission of people from different squads.  

Come fly w/ us.  We have fun and you'll see that we're not out to run anyone's fun.

:salute The Fugitive
 :salute Delirium
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
Ive never understood why everyone hates the "gangbangers", the "hordes' the "pickers and vulchers" the "NOE raiders" the "2v1" the "he cleared my 12" the " hey they bombed our FH how dare they" etc etc.  I thought the MA was for everyone to play in and have fun however they wanted to regardless of how others played as long as it was not breaking any rules. I guess what i dont get is there is a DA that seems to fit exactly what everyone wants. You can have a 1v1 all day long and nobody will bomb your hangers or gangbang or steal your fight or do anything every seems to hate about the MA.

The only thing the DA dont do is keep score but then again who cares about scores. Ive only ran into the mega squads a few times i guess but they seem to do there thing and we do ours and most times there free kills because there obsessed with doing there own thing. *shrug* I'm sure ill get a ear full because of my opinion but i just never understood i guess why everyone that finds so many faults with the ma's dont all just get together and play in the DA and make up there set of rules and have a blast.

No disrespect intended here just a honest question from a somewhat newer player that sees the same problems pop up almost every day and the simple solution seems to be the DA.

Don't like at it as so generic.

I like to defend a base from a capture.... but not against 5 to 1 odds, wheres the fun in that? I really don't care if they get the base or not as long as they fight for it.

I like to attack a base, unfortunatly the horde don't defend bases, I guess it's only fun to take bases. Wheres the fun in that?

I like to GV, but I can't stand being camped, so I leave, The camper gets no more kills, I don't GV. wheres the fun in that?

It shouldn't be the "win the war types" against the "furballers". People put too much stock in that argument. If the win the war type fought for the bases they want the furballers would have fun fighting back. Furballers would have fun, win the war types would have fun. As long as there are bases to take there would be fight to be had.

First off, thanks Delirium and Fugitive for keeping the discussion out of the gutter.  I think Skuzzy's house-cleaning is keeping this thread that way.

First to Fugitive and his 13 wing comment.  Yes, we have 13 wings (I use your number, I didn't check).  I think maybe 1 or 2 of those are full.  A lot just have a handful of guys in them.  It is a result of everyone having invite privileges.  We've had internal discussion of how to fix it, but ultimately the decision was to leave it be. 

Delirium, if someone grouped up and decided to target us like that, then I say bring it!!!  I think that would be a challenge.  It would be fun.  As a squad we obviously don't care about score.  We have fun.  We used to run NOE LANC raids.  We'd all be dead by the time it was over.  We'd take the base or we wouldn't, either way, we were all laughing.  I'm sure the guys who upped and got all the kills had fun as well.  If you read these threads you'd think that CJs were the only ones who ever ran missions.  We all know that isn't true.  I've seen the Muppets, Jokers, etc all come in on NOE missions.  We also don't only run NOE missions.  My personal favorite mission to run is 4 plane fighter sweeps.  I like using wingman tactics and everyone getting some kills and all 4 landing together.  I've been a part of P51 attack runs.  We've done the things that you suggested.  No one talks about it b/c all they see is the 15 red dots coming in, then get on here and complain about it. 

My opinion is this, if AH pushes the CJs to disband then they need to take out the mission option on the clipboard.  Nothing we do is any different than you organizing a mission of people from different squads. 

Come fly w/ us.  We have fun and you'll see that we're not out to run anyone's fun.

I think you mixed me and Del up, but thats ok.  :aok

The problem is too many squads/groups are joining together and make up these hordes. I'm not just blaming the CJ's here, it's rampant across all three teams. The "leaders" of these squads/groups of these mission should take responsibility for these hordes. They have the control of the mission, adjust it on the fly. Make it fun for both sides, not just another steam rolled base.

oh and for what it's worth I don't think HTC is forcing the CJ's to disband. From what I understand a large group of them are being punished for abusing a .report command. All they have to do is take their punishment and move on.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
First off, thanks Delirium and Fugitive for keeping the discussion out of the gutter.  I think Skuzzy's house-cleaning is keeping this thread that way.

First to Fugitive and his 13 wing comment.  Yes, we have 13 wings (I use your number, I didn't check).  I think maybe 1 or 2 of those are full.  A lot just have a handful of guys in them.  It is a result of everyone having invite privileges.  We've had internal discussion of how to fix it, but ultimately the decision was to leave it be. 

Delirium, if someone grouped up and decided to target us like that, then I say bring it!!!  I think that would be a challenge.  It would be fun.  As a squad we obviously don't care about score.  We have fun.  We used to run NOE LANC raids.  We'd all be dead by the time it was over.  We'd take the base or we wouldn't, either way, we were all laughing.  I'm sure the guys who upped and got all the kills had fun as well.  If you read these threads you'd think that CJs were the only ones who ever ran missions.  We all know that isn't true.  I've seen the Muppets, Jokers, etc all come in on NOE missions.  We also don't only run NOE missions.  My personal favorite mission to run is 4 plane fighter sweeps.  I like using wingman tactics and everyone getting some kills and all 4 landing together.  I've been a part of P51 attack runs.  We've done the things that you suggested.  No one talks about it b/c all they see is the 15 red dots coming in, then get on here and complain about it. 

My opinion is this, if AH pushes the CJs to disband then they need to take out the mission option on the clipboard.  Nothing we do is any different than you organizing a mission of people from different squads. 

Come fly w/ us.  We have fun and you'll see that we're not out to run anyone's fun.

Most of the missions are NOE or huge buff runs which flatten a base. Give your opponent a chance to fight back for once and I think you will find it more fun and enjoyable then any NOE run. Also I do believe some of the mega horde base taker do hate when they dont capture a base, which is the wrong attitude to have in the game in the first place. If I got 2 kills in a sortie where the 2 cons had an alt advantage and E advantage on me in better rides and landed it, Id be happier with it then if I was shooting planes down that were low and slow and landed 15 kills. The first scenario would have been a challenge the other is just shooting fish in a bucket
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »

I think you mixed me and Del up, but thats ok.  :aok

The problem is too many squads/groups are joining together and make up these hordes. I'm not just blaming the CJ's here, it's rampant across all three teams. The "leaders" of these squads/groups of these mission should take responsibility for these hordes. They have the control of the mission, adjust it on the fly. Make it fun for both sides, not just another steam rolled base.

oh and for what it's worth I don't think HTC is forcing the CJ's to disband. From what I understand a large group of them are being punished for abusing a .report command. All they have to do is take their punishment and move on.

I agree, steam-rolling bases w/ no opposition is boring...to me anyway.  I prefer the multi-faceted missions that I've been a part of. 

I don't think we are being disbanded, either.  I wasn't there for the mass report drama, so I don't know what is happening to those folks.
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
Most of the missions are NOE or huge buff runs which flatten a base. Give your opponent a chance to fight back for once and I think you will find it more fun and enjoyable then any NOE run. Also I do believe some of the mega horde base taker do hate when they dont capture a base, which is the wrong attitude to have in the game in the first place. If I got 2 kills in a sortie where the 2 cons had an alt advantage and E advantage on me in better rides and landed it, Id be happier with it then if I was shooting planes down that were low and slow and landed 15 kills. The first scenario would have been a challenge the other is just shooting fish in a bucket

I agree with your statement about landing two vs fifteen.  Although, landing 15 is fun too  :aok

Like i said in my post above, we run different missions, I don't have a percentage of NOE vs non-NOE, but I'd guess it's higher NOE.  All I can say is that we are who we are.
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
I agree with your statement about landing two vs fifteen.  Although, landing 15 is fun too  :aok

Like i said in my post above, we run different missions, I don't have a percentage of NOE vs non-NOE, but I'd guess it's higher NOE.  All I can say is that we are who we are.
See we understand this, we are trying to open your mind to a different side of the force......its called ownage :aok
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
See we understand this, we are trying to open your mind to a different side of the force......its called ownage :aok

No, it's opening your mind to the fact that we do more than run 110s NOE.  Ownage is was happened to your chat privileges after we .reported you :neener:
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »
No, it's opening your mind to the fact that we do more than run 110s NOE.  Ownage is was happened to your chat privileges after we .reported you :neener:

Actually, ownage is what happened to your entire squad after Skuzzy saw what you guys did.