Author Topic: Nvidia GF100  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Nvidia GF100
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
There is also a 5890.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
cool!! maby then they will make a 128 bit 5790
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
Doesn't really work that way....

The 5870 is their premeir line. The 5670 is their lesser line (not quite budget, but more towards the budget end). The 5770 is a step between. The 5890 is more like an upboosted model (like the X in GTX).

Folks want a "5790" they just buy a 5870 and be done with it :)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
Seems most of the fanbois are actually being smart and waiting.  The latest from the hard core fans is NVidia will probably release a driver that will fix the heat and noise problems.  They are just waiting on ATI's response so they can lower the boom on ATI again.

The little buggers can tap dance really well.

I read that the first delivery is sold out already? I dont think the heat issue can be handled by drivers and thought I read already the pathways have to be reduced (from say 90nm to 60nm) to fix the issue?

Anyway the scaling possibilities make me think even a state-changing device would be worth it if its possible to find a dual-head system (considering SLI). GPUs are already the primary source of heat in all of my systems so Im headed in that direction already.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
I've heard some good things about the Vapor-X system. Looks rather amazing, really, and runs super cool. I haven't seen it on many cards straight from the factory (only one line had some a while back), but they must be available separately, no?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
I should have said 'phase-change' but what I really mean is a refrigeration type cooling system that cools the GPU directly to the neighborhood of -22C. OCZ at one time had a dual head cooler or at least I thought it was them. The noise would go up but again you could always cabinet the thing.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
Have you worked with it before, Chalenge?  In the late 90's I used the Kryotech Renegade room temperature phase-change cases for servers and workstations that had to operate in uncooled spaces where the ambient would at times reach 125' F - and they worked well.  But when Kryotech discontinued the room-temperature products, I was forced to switch to -20C units (I used the VapoChill units). 

For an overclocker who wanted to piddle and get the most out of the system for a few minutes to a few hours at a time - they could possibly work (reasonably) well I suppose.  But for a full time cooling solution, they are just miserable to work with, because you have to seal everything (thermally as well as hermetically) to make sure that you get none, zero, nada condensation anywhere  - tough to be sure of at +90 degree and 100% humidity ambient. 

Bottom line is I never got it to work satisfactorily - I eventually refused to place any new equipment that would not be able to be operate in a climate controlled zone.

But I can't imagine that trying to implement such a solution on two Fermi's is going to be any easier.  And all it takes is ONE drop of condensation to destroy a PCB - and hose your system.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2010, 07:22:42 AM »
I really do not care what the fanbois/NVidia marketing machine is saying.  I can safely state this part is a flawed design.  It was not designed to match the process TSMC has to manufacture the silicon, which is the primary reason it is running so hot.  It is leaking current all over the part.

ATI learned the hard way on thier first 40nm part manufactured by TSMC and they went back to the drawing board to design specifically for TSMC's process.  That is why ATI parts are running so much cooler now.  It is also why ATI's yeilds are so much better.

This has been well documented and there is no amount of marketing that will cover it up.  Ignoring the facts does not make them magically disappear.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:58:07 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
I've heard some good things about the Vapor-X system. Looks rather amazing, really, and runs super cool. I haven't seen it on many cards straight from the factory (only one line had some a while back), but they must be available separately, no?

Sapphire is the company that has the Vapor-X card cooling system.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about Vapor-X is long term viability.  It depends on a vacuum to lower the boiling point of water so the water will vaporize much quicker.  If the part suffers an internal increase in air pressure, then it will stop working.

After a few years of constantly changing temperatures, I wonder how well it would hold up.

Overall, it is a clever design.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com