Author Topic: Tilesetter/Mapmaker help  (Read 747 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Tilesetter/Mapmaker help
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
I'm trying to learn how to use the terrain editor and haven't had much luck.  I made an elevation file using Mapmaker and then stuck in in my terrains folder.  When I open that terrain in the editor all I see is water.  I then opened tilesetter and used it to create a color map.  The color map looks correct and show the basic shape I had in Mapmaker.  So I know some of the data went through, but why can't I see the terrain in the editor?

Any help would be appreciated.
的t's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Re: Tilesetter/Mapmaker help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
This is the map tile setter makes:

-Richard O'Kane

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
OK Mr. Bug here are the steps I go through when creating a new terrain using tile setter.

1. I create the elevation bit map which is a gray scale image. Store it in a folder on my drive I call elevations.

2. I open the Terrain Editor and create a new terrain with the same name as my elevation bit map and save, then I close the editor.

3. I start the terrain editor again and then under "File" I select "Open" and go to my new terrains folder and select the .oba file ( your_terrains_name.oba)

4. Once the editor has loaded the file I then go to "File" again and select "Import". I brouse to the folder where I keep my elevation bit map files
and select that file and put in the max. elevation hight I want.

5. I then go to "File" and select "Save" and then exit out of the editor again.

6. I go to my editors terrains folder where my new terrain is located ....AHedit\ahiiterr\your_terrains_name_here
And rename the "gndtype.bmp" file to "your_terrains_name.typ".

7. I then start tile setter and load the required files "the .elv and .typ file. then I select "Set Type" and then exit tile setter.

8. I start up the terrain editor again and re open my terrain and it will read the .typ file and create a new "gndtype.bmp" file
and then I save again and begin working on my newly created terrain.

Hope this helps ya out a little.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
Mrmidi that definitely helped but I still have issues.

I followed your instructions and got to #8 the terrain loads up and looks proper.  I can make map right in the TE and looks proper.  But if at that point I hit save and then exit, when I open the terrain the next time there is water covering everything.  I can see little points of terrain sticking out from the water, but it definitely doesn't look like what it did when I saved it???

What am I doing wrong?
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
ooops ...wasn't you Bug it was my brain thinking faster than my fingers can type   :uhoh

I have a quick fix for you..to make things easier whats the name of your terrain, and I'll post links to folder names and files using your terrains name.

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Just calling it test2 at this point to get the basics down.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
OK first off in the test2 folder if you haven't already done so create a sub folder called "texsrc"  example "...\AHedit\ahiiterr\test2\texsrc".

If you already have that then skip that step.

Next go into your terrains folder "...\AHedit\ahiiterr\test2"

and delete these two files "waterd.bmp and gndtype.bmp" if the waterd.bmp isn't there then don't worry about that one.

Now start up the terrain editor again and it will build a new gndtype.bmp file. DON'T reload the terrain yet. First go to "File" and select "Export Water to bit map"

Once that is done then save your terrain. Then go to "File" and select "Open" and open your terrains .oba file again "test2.oba".
You may see all water again but this time we are gonna go to "File" and select "Import Water bit map" once that is done you can save your terrain and all should be good.

Oh and after you do the import water you may have to move the terrain in the main editor window a little to see the land back in place.

Just got through doing these exact things to make sure I wasn't steering you in the wrong direction. Some times us old people have to do that LOL

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
Thank you mrmidi!

Got it to work.  Now I can dig a little deeper into the details.

Very much appreciate your help, never would of figured it out without ya. <S>
  -Richard O'Kane