Author Topic: The Mustang we really need.  (Read 8966 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: The Mustang we really need.
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
Wow. I'm trying to figure out where the connection of Pony to B-25H even STARTS.  :huh :huh :huh
BIG GUNS!!!!!!  :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
Kingcobra please read bottom of sig.
Stodd you're an evil man :aok :rofl i remember that post
Hmmm, I thought AH had jets?  ENY 20 on the B-Pony is perfect, if you NEED six .50s to make the kill fly the D.

Aside from all the fishing going on in here, I myself would love to have the P-51A.  There is no need for a 20mm 51.

(Image removed from quote.)
Or if you want the merlin 66 over the 61... i fly the P51D with only 4 .50s now. didnt need the 6. and i agree with you on the A model. Posted that i think twice in this thread already  :lol
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
now if you want a pony that hgas massive ownage firepower, but at the cost of maneuverability, give the b25h a try.

:huh :headscratch: Your comparison makes no sense. A better comparison would be: P51D vs 190A8 (with full guns loadout).
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
 I got a wiki thingy bookmarked around here somewhere that had a picture of one of
these planes being used as a test mule.  It shows them trying to mate two frames -
one had the port wing cut in half and being bolted up to the starboard half of another.
P-51SFVLR Mustang or something along those lines.... ???

Offline flubiu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I agree with earlier posts that without increased power, a heavier pony would be like flying a p40 with 20mm's. Personally, I would love cannons on a pony but I do alright with the 50cals. As long as you are talking about adding a version that saw little if any combat, I would rather see the p51h included. It was 600 lbs. lighter, much larger rudder, even better visibility and had the uprated Merlin V-1650-9 w/ WEP rating of 2,218hp (although non-WEP was slightly lower). This thing would have been a beast and I would be willing to "settle" for 6-50 cals. w/ 1,880 rounds!

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
According to this site the specs of the P-51H-5-NA: Maximum speed was 444 mph at 5000 feet:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p51_13.html

At that speed this plane would have a huge advantage in the HTC skies.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
According to this site the specs of the P-51H-5-NA: Maximum speed was 444 mph at 5000 feet:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p51_13.html

At that speed this plane would have a huge advantage in the HTC skies.

We're talking about a really long range Mustang that was built for high alt with the pressurized cockpit and had cannons along with a greatly increased ordinance carrying ability. 

The P51H was a lightweight that didn't even get used in Korea as it was not the fighter bomber the regular P51D was.  Imagine cruising along for hours at 35K in your P51VLR(20mm).   The radar pod on your right wing starts to go off indicating a flight of enemy aircraft ahead.  You sneak up behind em and blast them to bits with your 20mm cannons.  You can't do that in a P51H. You'd have had to return to base for lack of fuel and oxygen.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
I got a wiki thingy bookmarked around here somewhere that had a picture of one of
these planes being used as a test mule.  It shows them trying to mate two frames -
one had the port wing cut in half and being bolted up to the starboard half of another.
P-51SFVLR Mustang or something along those lines.... ???
which eventally evolved into the twin mustang I believe
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »
Fixed  :aok

well technicly yes it is a bomber, but it can make an awesome buff blaster. '

and wouldnt the role of this new plane be filled already in game by the p38? the b24 is just a more extreme example of reduced maneuverability in exchange for massive ownage guns
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
 :huh :headscratch: :uhoh :bolt:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
Imagine cruising along for hours at 35K in your P51VLR(20mm).
What are fuel-saving settings at that altitude? I'd assume very good.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »

well technicly yes it is a bomber, but it can make an awesome buff blaster. '

and wouldnt the role of this new plane be filled already in game by the p38? the b24 is just a more extreme example of reduced maneuverability in exchange for massive ownage guns

*Epic facepalm*
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
which eventally evolved into the twin mustang I believe

Believe me, I am one that loves nothing more than bashing baby seal cubs but for the love of Jeebus, spit out the hook before Westy sets it.  Guppy and I have already had to throw you back in because you're under the legal size.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »
Believe me, I am one that loves nothing more than bashing baby seal cubs but for the love of Jeebus, spit out the hook before Westy sets it.  Guppy and I have already had to throw you back in because you're under the legal size.

ack-ack
LOL

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Wasn't this also part of the Project Rainbow testing, to give it a low observability coating?
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3