Author Topic: Camel flat 'parachute' stall  (Read 387 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
Camel flat 'parachute' stall
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:12:29 AM »
I could be wrong about this one as my sticks are tuned a little sluggish, but they should still give max travel right? Anyway the Camel has an unfortunate habit of going into a flat 'parachute' stall, where you just sit there level attitude and float slowly down, control inputs don't seem to work enough to get out. Entry seems to occur after pulling nose high with not enough E, usually gunning at someone above. I would have expected the nose or wing to drop, but it just settles into a flat stall with airspeed under 30. Manipulating the engine controls doesn't affect it either. I've never read anything about this happening for real, so I'm guessing someone just got unlucky with the code re C of G and C of L being in the same place or something. Anyone else had this happen? I've had around a dozen or so already.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
Re: Camel flat 'parachute' stall
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:34:34 AM »
I have had that happen to me in all the ww1 planes. if you loose too much E, the wings lose lift, aand the design of these leave you in parachute stall.  the engine cant gain much speed when youre freefalling to earth from less than 1k. pretty much any stall at that alt will result in crash and burn
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »
I could be wrong about this one as my sticks are tuned a little sluggish, but they should still give max travel right? Anyway the Camel has an unfortunate habit of going into a flat 'parachute' stall, where you just sit there level attitude and float slowly down, control inputs don't seem to work enough to get out. Entry seems to occur after pulling nose high with not enough E, usually gunning at someone above. I would have expected the nose or wing to drop, but it just settles into a flat stall with airspeed under 30. Manipulating the engine controls doesn't affect it either. I've never read anything about this happening for real, so I'm guessing someone just got unlucky with the code re C of G and C of L being in the same place or something. Anyone else had this happen? I've had around a dozen or so already.

It's not a bug, it's called a "flat spin".  This is caused when you exceed the Angle of Attack (AoA), stall out and enter into a flat spin.  The best way to avoid getting into a spin is not to get yourself into such a situation.  There is a buzzer in your plane that gets louder as you get closer to the edge of a stall, listen to it and it will let you know when you're about to stall out.  Remember, the louder the stall buzzer gets, the closer to the stall you are.  With time and practice, you'll be able to use the stall buzzer to ride the edge of stall without getting into a spin.

The flat spin is also very easy to recover from, unlike what kingcobradude thinks.  To recover from a flat spin do the following:

1. Release the stick
2. Give opposite rudder input (opposite of the spin direction)
3. Push forward on the stick (down elevator)

That's it, it's just three easy steps.

I have had that happen to me in all the ww1 planes. if you loose too much E, the wings lose lift, aand the design of these leave you in parachute stall.  the engine cant gain much speed when youre freefalling to earth from less than 1k. pretty much any stall at that alt will result in crash and burn

You're dying because you don't know how to recover from a spin. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
I don't think he's spinning Ack-Ack, The Spit 1 will do the same thing.

SCTusk I believe that's a feature not a bug.

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
It's not a bug, it's called a "flat spin".  This is caused when you exceed the Angle of Attack (AoA), stall out and enter into a flat spin.  The best way to avoid getting into a spin is not to get yourself into such a situation.  There is a buzzer in your plane that gets louder as you get closer to the edge of a stall, listen to it and it will let you know when you're about to stall out.  Remember, the louder the stall buzzer gets, the closer to the stall you are.  With time and practice, you'll be able to use the stall buzzer to ride the edge of stall without getting into a spin.

The flat spin is also very easy to recover from, unlike what kingcobradude thinks.  To recover from a flat spin do the following:

1. Release the stick
2. Give opposite rudder input (opposite of the spin direction)
3. Push forward on the stick (down elevator)

That's it, it's just three easy steps.

You're dying because you don't know how to recover from a spin. 

ack-ack
what were talking here the heading doesnt change, the AOA doesnt change or respond to input, and the airspeed is at 0, the plane just drops  like a stone
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »
I grabbed a quick vid of an offline example, not my best effort but maybe it's dependant on fuel load or something. This one would have been recoverable from a little higher as the nose was dropping slowly, and there's some heading change too but I've been locked in a couple all the way down from over a thousand feet, no input seems to make any difference on a good one. Saw someone else falling through the middle of a furball like this also. Anyway here's the vid:

http://yfrog.us/htflatstallz
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde