Author Topic: Worth the time and money  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Worth the time and money
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
(Edited to include this possible solution) Perhaps, simply changing a few Axis fields southwest of the Channel area to Allies (a what if addition = French Resistance controlled) would allow for some ground troop advancement that would not interfere with the Channel battle.

At the risk of sounding .... ummm offended.  This is how many posts of you saying that you don't like this particular setup without a C47?  Nothing will get a C47 in action faster than a legitimate explanation of what it would be used for that would further the mission of the AvA planners as put forth.   Folks come to the AvA in hopes to see action.  Take that ability away to get involved in action (considering the low numbers of players that frequent the arena) sooner rather than later, and you would have all the bases to capture, you like. 

I am not saying that is what you are asking for, but only one of the many who is trying to explain the reality of what develops when base capture is made easy in the AvA.  Settings are meant to necessitate a group effort to take bases, and not just individual desires.   So, here is how I would capture a base in details:

Like Jimson said, works in progress seem to be more along the line of what is being asked for.  Does that mean that you will have your wishes granted?  No one can say, until we have a finished and approved alternative.

In the meantime, come in and try the current setups, the way they are designed and see if you can't find something to do with the bombers added.  Bombing all the fighter hangars down, where easy fighter action might occur, will be severely frowned upon by almost everyone who currently flies in the arena.  Capturing one of these bases, and forcing a much longer flight to battle, will also draw even more criticism. 

When I design a mission to do a capture or an attack in the AvA:

• confirm settings -  don't be surprised if settings have been changed, due to the persistence of individual porkers / milkers / experimenting type players
  • choose a target base that does not impede the preferred fight
  • gather as many participants as possible, squads, BB posts, spam other Arenas, etc.
  • announce ahead of time a mission will be run
  • *important - Tune channel 200 and communicate on "All" channel

Then post the results of your mission on the forums.  Jaeger's propaganda for the JG54 was something I looked forward to reading (cough) debunking  :neener:

Besides, much more interesting things are in the works.  I personally enjoy this map and the importance that the Channel battle influenced the outcome of the war.  Nicely done guys  :salute
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:55:45 PM by Chilli »

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
(Edited to include this possible solution)

At the risk of sounding .... ummm offended.  This is how many posts of you saying that you don't like this particular setup without a C47?  Nothing will get a C47 in action faster than a legitimate explanation of what it would be used for that would further the mission of the AvA planners as put forth.   Folks come to the AvA in hopes to see action.  Take that ability away to get involved in action (considering the low numbers of players that frequent the arena) sooner rather than later, and you would have all the bases to capture, you like.  

I understand your option of seeing 'action' differ than mine.   Legitimate explanation of C47s are that they do bring action, they do bring teamwork.  It worked in Dday, with people wanting to come with me to bomb a field,  go after fighters,  hunting bombers coming into our fields,  hunting enemy troop carriers,  running fighter ops,  gv ops.   That is all because of the wonders of the C47 when bases are separated by water.

Enemies come to stop you,  you up to take them out with other fighters,  they fight back, you fight back, they gain ground, they lose ground.  That is war.

Take that away and all you have left are people just out for a good dogfight for an entire week.  A duel with historical plane match.       I get it what you and a few others want when flying online,  It's fine just as long as us other folks get what we would like to have.  You just want a week to dog fight,  that is fine by me.   It's ok to have that one moment in history where you can just duke it out.   Go for it..  Just as our moments in history where we would like the mirage of belief we are mud moving toward winning an unwinnable war because the mirage disapears in one week,    your dogfight scenario disappears in one week.  Or does it?  (During D-day I still saw plenty of guys dogfighting with limited plane sets over the very same part of the channel).  

But It's ok,   just as long as it bring participation in other upcoming maps.  Hard work designing something to keep things interesting.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:31:53 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
 :salute GoldenBB

The hard work comes in keeping those same individuals that had fun a day or two ago, coming back to have more fun.  :banana:  Having said that, Jimson and I have put in the time to gather 27 players into a squad for the AvA.  Do we see more than 6 or 7 on at any one time?  In the beginning yes.  Now, I am on a push to gather more (another 25 if needed to get 12 active at one time). 

The fellas that have been around for a while know that we are fighting an uphill battle.  We don't offer perks.  We don't offer every plane / vehicle that players prefer.  The best thing that we have to offer is an entirely different experience from the rest of the arenas except the SEA Squad Ops (which are once a week scenarios, set a time that not everyone can attend).

I agree, that putting one style above any other hampers freedom of choosing.  Years back I wanted something similar, blow stuff up and make my presence felt (put my name on a base and take it).  Then, I took notice of guys that were doing amazing things in aircraft that I rarely flew.  They started giving me tips and I actually felt that my pilot skill level started to grow in areas.  Before, I would complain about "cheaters" turning their airplanes 180 degrees and still gaining on my 6, or using all of my rounds up and not causing damage.   

Our superintendent told us once about the futility of complaining to a parent about the level of student their child was.  He said they send us the best students they have, if they had any better at home they would surely send them to us.  :D