Author Topic: Another WW2 Vet Passes On  (Read 514 times)

Offline cegull

• Zinc Member
Another WW2 Vet Passes On
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
His name was Wayne Chamberlain.  The kind of unsung hero we don't often hear about.  Even though he did not have an official college degree in aviation engineering, his ability to solve problems was unsurpassed.  He trained dozens of B17 flight crews in emergency procedures to help keep our airmen alive.  He worked on P51's, B-25's, and the X-15 and did work on numerous landing gear systems. He designed a major portion of the B-29 instrument panel and worked on the avionics in the F-86.  Much later he was called upon to help fix the oxygen distribution system on Apollo space craft after the tragic loss of the Apollo 1 crew.  He would sleep on a problem, get up early, sometimes sketching out a part and then drive down to the shop and build one.  No computer enhanced stuff- he just saw it and did it. 

I always liked his story about the top secret crate he saw while working for North American.  It was a captured FW 190 to be tested against the P-51.  The 190 was allegedly crated up in England, put on a submarine, shipped to the US, and then to the North American test facility.

I guess it's true that the pilots took the most up front risks but it was not easy being an engineer or a mechanic- Wayne would sometimes pace back and forth and not sleep for nights because he worried about such things as an oleo strut having the right response so as not to throw a pilot off the run way etc..  The responsiblity was sometimes overwhelming.

The contribution of men like Wayne, and the mechanics who soaked their hands in solvent all day cleaning parts to keep our pilots safe, has been largely over looked in the media.  The country owes these people a lot.  They deserve our thanks and our prayers.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Another WW2 Vet Passes On
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
Those that were in support positions were there not because they were cowards, but because that is where it was decided they were needed.

<S> to them all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
 :salute
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:45:56 PM »
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Coog03

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
VF41 Red Rippers
368th Thunder Bums
Killuminati

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
Those that were in support positions were there not because they were cowards, but because that is where it was decided they were needed.

<S> to them all.

I remember reading somewhere where the ratio of support personnel to front line troops was something like 10-1.

Food and ammo has to get there somehow
They all did their part
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
I remember reading somewhere where the ratio of support personnel to front line troops was something like 10-1.

Food and ammo has to get there somehow
They all did their part

This is still true.  Even though we may give REFMs ( :P) a hard time sometime, we still got nuthin' but love for em.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus