Author Topic: 1 Kilowatt PSUs  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: 1 Kilowatt PSUs
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
Running a switching power supply under too light of a load is not a good idea.  Switching power supplies are designed to put out their best/cleanest power when they are under about 75 to 80% load.
By switching power supplies you mean multi-rail? I do apologize for any confusion, I'm not very familiar with computer power supplies (thus the reason I came here for recommendations).

EDIT: Still reading that article, Chalenge. Thanks for linking it, very very useful.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:00:22 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »
No problem I would rather you do the work than one of us.  :D

You can also check on your expected power requirements on this page (also linked to on page 8 of that article):

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
OCZ power supplies are made by the same Chinese company that also makes the supplies for Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, and a plethora of others.  Sometimes the only difference is the color of paint on the power supply cover.

Enermax and Seasonic make their own supplies.  Seasonic makes supplies for a bunch of OEM's and other power supply resellers.  PC Power & Cooling used to make their own supplies, but OCZ shut that down.

The problem with extremely high output power supplies is getting one that outputs really clean power.  The higher the output the larger the components to generate and regulate that output which gets tight fitting it in the PC-ATX power supply case.

I could have sworn that Seasonic was making Corsair's PSUs.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »
Skuzzy I think we need a forehead slapping emoticon.  :D

They do Fulmar... at least some of them.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »
No problem I would rather you do the work than one of us.  :D

You can also check on your expected power requirements on this page (also linked to on page 8 of that article):

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Already used it. Now I'm leaning toward buying a used PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W. What do you all think about buying used PSUs?
FlameThink.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »
Did you see the section about capacitor age?

Really the Seasonic is the best 750 made.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 07:06:41 AM »
I would not touch a used power supply with a ten foot pole.  All the analog components in the power supply age.

Denholm, switching power supplies are supplies that use electronics to shape the power output wave.  As opposed to linear supplies which simply include a huge transformer and rectifier to shape the output wave.  Switching supplies provide a more stable output that does not vary much.  Linear supplies put out what they get in.  If the input varies, the output will vary the same amount.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
Alright, that makes sense. Chalenge, I haven't read the entire article yet. Got as far as page 8 before I took a break to work on other things.

EDIT: Just finished reading the article. Didn't find anything about capacitor age.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:35:59 AM by Denholm »
FlameThink.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 01:43:27 PM »
You can vary the capacitor age factor on the power estimation calculator page (lower right) and see how it affects power. Like Skuzzy said... buy new.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
Makes sense... I suppose I'll revert my choice once more, to the Seasonic SS-750KM.

Thanks to everyone for your time and assistance.
FlameThink.com