Author Topic: New Mossie  (Read 5367 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: New Mossie
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
Karnak, re the nacelle length.. It appears to me that the exhaust stubs as shown in the picture are the same distance from the coolers as HTC has modeled it. Its the outside stack that makes it look wrong. (Or I could be wrong, always a possibility)
just visual perception. nothing different if you look close enough
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2010, 06:20:52 AM »
Can we do those low level strikes now? Or were they the bomber variants...

Anyway - thanks HTC. The Mossie looks cool. Can't wait to fly intruder missions - if I can find a target to take down, that is.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
I know many of you have this link, but this site has a wealth of information on the wooden wonder: Mossie.org

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »
Thank you HTC, this is the best update I could hope for
 :salute
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
Thank you HTC, this is the best update I could hope for
 :salute

The Pre-release notes mention that BatFink may not have one of these beautiful new birds.  He keeps bringing them home all shot up! :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
Looking obsessively close, as you guys at HTC know that some of us are prone to doing, it looks like the engine nacelles might be a bit too long or the ejector stacks a bit to far forward or the ejector stacks a bit too small.
Notice how much closer to the radiator the stacks are in the photo.  It was the radiator that prevented six stack ejectors being used on single stage Merlin powered Mosquitoes for that reason.

Is it possible it's just a matter of perspective Karnak?

I think if you look at the right engine in this screen shoot it compares very closely to the Mk XVIII photo you posted.

HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
I don't think so, Baumer.  Looking at the photo it looks like the end of the stub is about vertical with the forwardmost edge of the radiator housing in the photo and distinctly further out than that in the screen shots.  The bit of nacelle skin between the end of the stubs and the radiator seems to be about twice as broad in the screenshots as it is in the photo.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
I don't think so, Baumer.  Looking at the photo it looks like the end of the stub is about vertical with the forwardmost edge of the radiator housing in the photo and distinctly further out than that in the screen shots.  The bit of nacelle skin between the end of the stubs and the radiator seems to be about twice as broad in the screenshots as it is in the photo.
because of the angle you are seeing it from and the shadowing of both pics... the old photo makes it look different than the in game model
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
I own a photography firm....................  I am with Karnak on this one.  The difference may be minor but there does seem to be a clear difference.  1940's photography was more "straight up and down" than we can do today.  The way I would trick the viewer would be to use a SUPERduper telephoto lens (decreases depth) and shot from a more forward angle......   I do understand were Baumer is coming from however, but the real Mossie photo is lit well enough to "see" distance whereas the screenshot has AH shadowing going on to make it look "shorter."   :salute

because of the angle you are seeing it from and the shadowing of both pics... the old photo makes it look different than the in game model

EDIT:

This photo looks a little more comparable to the layout of our new Mossie though......  Maybe it really is a full fledged B version................

THough this photo looks more like a PR than a B or FB. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:52:28 AM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
A B.Mk IV, like in your photo LLogann, would have the same length nacelles and the same exhaust stubs as the FB.Mk VI due to both having single stage Merlins.

A B.Mk IX or, the most common bomber version, a B.Mk XVI had to have longer nacelles to accommodated the blower on the two stage Merlins.  On those versions, as well as the NF.Mk.30, the nacelles protruded far enough out for the engines to take the normal six stacks on each side, two per cylinder.

Mosquito B.Mk XVI:
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2010, 01:49:52 PM »
It's about time for the mossie to get an upgrade. :aok

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Superb upgrade....hoping for a formation enabled cookie capable B MkIV  or even a B Mk XVI.
Ludere Vincere

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
The Pre-release notes mention that BatFink may not have one of these beautiful new birds.  He keeps bringing them home all shot up! :lol

:lol
but bringing them home? you must have the wrong batfink I never make it home.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
Thanks HTC.  You guys really made my week!
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
Say it again!!!!  Say it again!!!!

Thanks HTC.  You guys really made my week!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.