Author Topic: How would the Cromwel do in the MA  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How would the Cromwel do in the MA
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »
I saw Kenne's objections to another M4 varient and have some sympathy with what he was saying though I realise the M4 version we have is rare and the tank in general had a massive role from a historical perspective.

As a brit I would like to see the Cromwell though it may be a long wait  ;)

4000 cromwells built but on 2000 Fireflys though.

I wonder how it would do?

I would think the gun is the same as the basic sherman and would struggle against the others especially the Tiger but probably also the Panzer and T34 maybe even the Firefly except at close range. I believe it might be the fastest tank though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:20:26 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: How would the Cromwel do in the MA
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »
The Cromwell tank was a very nice tank. Had a British OQF 75mm cannon. Max speed was 40 miles per hour and had 76mm of armor. Not a bad tank. Even the Crusader would be nice... Gotta love those British Cruiser tanks eh? :aok specifically designed to fight on their own away from the infantry and ISTs... Compare it to the M4A3 75mm and 76mm and you have a close match in firepower somewhere in between the 75 and 76 american guns. Speed is faster than the stupid T34s too... Great tank overall... But i'd rather the M-18 :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
... But i'd rather the M-18 :D

Anything that can fly and mont a machine gun would kill it  ;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:05:46 AM »
Anything that can fly and mont a machine gun would kill it  ;)
bah...nobody would catch me :aok i score kills in the M8 all the time and yes...i do get killed by more planes than GVs in the darn thing but the M-18 has heavier armor so .30 .303. and .50 wont kill it cept the turret. 20mil may not even be able to kill the M-18. and the thing is exactly my style of GV fighting. shoot and scoot. With the M8 i flank panzers daily and score streaks of 6-8 in them. i cant even get a kill streak of 5 in a pnzr nowadays...used to but the M8 is my thing so the M18 would be too

Edit: back to subject. if you put this into the wishlist ill +1 it
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:06:21 AM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
Well, the Comet would then also be preferred. Fast and leathal, and much better armoured than an m-8
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
Well, the Comet would then also be preferred. Fast and leathal, and much better armoured than an m-8
comet wasn't THAT fast only maxed out at 32mph actually when the M-18 maxed out at SIXTY :aok it also used a torsion bar suspension on a light chassis allowing speed turning on dimes... the thing only weighed out at 17.7 tons. It was the fastest tracked vehicle of WWII bar none
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
I do not have my sources in near me, but iirc the bulk of the Cromwells had the 6lb'er (British 57mm, which was superior to the US 57mm) main gun.  It was fast firing, and had decent enough AP ability to deal with the Pzr III/IV, StG's, and other German medium armor.  It needed to be dangerously close to the Pzr V and Tiger tanks to be effective.  I do not remember any details on the 6lb'ers HE ability.

Speed of travel and a quick reload for the main gun would be it's two biggest assets in AH.  In AH, think of it having the same performance to the Pzr IV in terms of armor, AP ability, reload speed, but with 15mph more travel speed.  Oh, and lets not forget the default skin color would be olive drab GREEN instead of neon tan.   :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:47:41 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
I do not have my sources in near me, but iirc the bulk of the Cromwells had the 6lb'er (British 57mm, which was superior to the US 57mm) main gun.  It was fast firing, and had decent enough AP ability to deal with the Pzr III/IV, StG's, and other German medium armor.  It needed to be dangerously close to the Pzr V and Tiger tanks to be effective.  I do not remember any details on the 6lb'ers HE ability.

Speed of travel and a quick reload for the main gun would be it's two biggest assets in AH.  In AH, think of it having the same performance to the Pzr IV in terms of armor, AP ability, reload speed, but with 15mph more travel speed.  Oh, and lets not forget the default skin color would be olive drab GREEN instead of neon tan.   :)
Cromwells actually had the 75mm. Crusaders had the 57mm. Yes the Cromwell would be a great addition but i still think there are others such as the M-18 that can fill gaps and be used alot in the MA
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
Open top turrett on the M18 but allot of people would up it for the crack of 60 mph.

Historically I don't think it had a major role though.

The 6lber had no HE round and the cromwell would really have the same gun as the sherman only it would be faster with slightly inferior armour I reckon. Probably more like 32 mph its governed spped. 
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »
Wasn't the Comet capable of 40, but just used to throw the tracks a lot, so restricted to 32. Consider it as a wep?
Just pondering...
And the gun, same as Firefly with a little less punch due to cartridge storage issues? Am I right?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 02:06:29 PM »

?

Offline Jabberwock

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
(British 57mm, which was superior to the US 57mm)

??

The US 57 mm Gun M1 was essentially a MK II British QF 6 pounder, with a slightly higher muzzle velocity due to a longer barrel (the Mk II had the barrel cut down from 50 to 43 calibers).

Ammunition was slightly better for the British (APC and APBC vs straight AP), but there was really little difference in performance on that front.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:30:00 PM by Jabberwock »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
Open top turrett on the M18 but allot of people would up it for the crack of 60 mph.

Historically I don't think it had a major role though.

The 6lber had no HE round and the cromwell would really have the same gun as the sherman only it would be faster with slightly inferior armour I reckon. Probably more like 32 mph its governed spped. 
Three M-18 Hellcats held off the German advance at Bastogne by moving at full speed in order to confuse the Germans into thinking they were up against many more vehicles than there actually were...This gave the Americans the time to get settled in and defend until relieved. The Cromwell had less armor compared to the M4A3 but not by much. In fact in my opinion the Cromwell was a better tank than the M4A3
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
In Japan, there's a term "yararemecha."

Lookit up, folks. :D

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 05:14:59 AM »
. In fact in my opinion the Cromwell was a better tank than the M4A3

If it has the same gun then I would probably agree. I hope we get it next and ungoverned with a 40mph top speed if that is at all accurate.As it is our tanks perform the same on the road as on the dirt which maybe would be owrth looking at one day.
DFC/GFC/OAP