Author Topic: Ju 88  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Ju 88
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
well, i did mention range as one of its shortcomings.

I wasn't talking about range at all...  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
It is quite a good plane.  I've flown it a lot in scenarios.  It is very versatile, carrying a large bomb load (more than the B-17) or two torpedoes.  It has decent speed (compared to various other bombers, excepting the Boston and Ki-67), and is quite rugged. 

Huh? Max bomb load for an 88 is 4 x 500kg, right? That's about 4400 lbs., the B-17 carries 6,000. And rugged? Maybe compared to a Zeke! Not very tough compared to a B-26 or any of the 4-engine jobs, though, and when you add in the popguns it makes easy meat for fighters. And as Lusche pointed put it climbs like a wheezing hippo (faster than fully loaded Lancs, maybe, but Lancs carry three times the bomb load).

It has its uses (it's great for torpedoing CVs whose owners have foolishly neglected to take out ords at the field they're attacking) but I think there are good reasons you don't see it much in general use in the MA.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
Huh? Max bomb load for an 88 is 4 x 500kg, right? That's about 4400 lbs., the B-17 carries 6,000. And rugged? Maybe compared to a Zeke! Not very tough compared to a B-26 or any of the 4-engine jobs, though, and when you add in the popguns it makes easy meat for fighters. And as Lusche pointed put it climbs like a wheezing hippo (faster than fully loaded Lancs, maybe, but Lancs carry three times the bomb load).

It has its uses (it's great for torpedoing CVs whose owners have foolishly neglected to take out ords at the field they're attacking) but I think there are good reasons you don't see it much in general use in the MA.

Add up the "20 - 50kgs".   Unlike this game, B-17's weren't "dive bombers".   The Ju-88 on the other hand, could.   So you could surmise that in order to sometimes handle the additional stress of dive-bombing, that yes they were rugged.  

Lancasters and 17's are "Heavy Bombers".   You're comparing "Heavy Bombers" to something that is similar to a "Mosquito/A-20" and can still tote 5409lbs.   I use the 88's and typically sink CV's with a single formation.  

As for defensive armament.   Again, the 88 isn't a heavy bomber, nor a medium bomber.  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:53:12 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
JuH88's are best suited for carpet bombing runways and pwning fighters in turn fights. 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »
JuH88's are best suited for carpet bombing runways and pwning fighters in turn fights. 

i like hitting the ack with them........i got 20 little bombs to do damage with.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
JuH88's are best suited for pwning fighters in turn fights. 

:aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »

:aok

i was watching shuffler in a ju87 give a guy fits. unfortunatly, i didn't know it was him, as he was on the other country....i asked the friendly if he wanted me to stay out, and he said c'mon in......so i did.....got the 87, and saw it was shuff........i felt like a schmuck for shooting down a squaddie, but i bravely ran away and landed it anyway, as that's prolly the only "shuffler kill" i'll ever land.  :noid :bolt: :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)