Author Topic: No icon wish  (Read 1028 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: No icon wish
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
One standard requirement for a military pilot is 20/20 vision.....  I think that stretches across most of the world's air forces.

One standard option for AH, is wearing your reading glasses. 

One standard problem with no icons are with laptop players. 

Just saying
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
This wish is for AvA and SEA.

I wish that the icons on GVs would be able to be turned off to Aircraft. It would help in many situations in AvA,FSO, Scenarios, or any other event that may use GVs.

Thanks!

Sure ... turn them off, but at the same time, I want to see dirty billowing puffs of black diesel smoke as they start up along with tracks left on the terrain as they move and maneuver and dig up the ground and also some dust trails behind them as they move across the terrain.

Krusty has a point ... next thing that will be asked for is a Klingon cloaking device.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »
I don't see a problem with removing "enemy" GV icons, They've been removed so enemy GVs are harder to spot by "enemy GVs" so make it harder to spot "enemy GVs" by air!  I think it is a good idea.

The way I think of it, if icons for enemy GVs were absolutely needed for arial spotting then I should be able to see "enemy GV icons" while in a GV also, yet those icons have been removed.

There is a subset of folks who enjoy GVing very much and ICONS reveal them very easily for aircraft, allowing aircraft to impact GVing substantialy, where as aircraft icons visible by GVs has virtually NO impact on the arial battle overhead. It is not an equitable arangement IMO.

BTW it is only slightly more difficult to spot GVs without icons, but at least this would be something to help balance it!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
I think some are forgetting this is for the AvA and SEA events...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »
I think some are forgetting this is for the AvA and SEA events...

I even put it in the first sentence
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »
One standard requirement for a military pilot is 20/20 vision.....  I think that stretches across most of the world's air forces.

One standard option for AH, is wearing your reading glasses.  

One standard problem with no icons are with laptop players.  

Just saying

and you are how old????? I can't wait till you hit my age and see how you feel about what you just said......................... .....Just saying indeed  :furious :furious  I have no problems playing the game WITH icons which is HOW the game has been since day one.  It is almost like you younger guys would like to drive us out by adding more difficult things to the game.  I have now lost one choice in the game AvA due to no icons
the OP wants to take a couple MORE area's away.  BTW what the hell makes you think I DON'T wear my glasses while playing.

Saying its just for AvA and SEA is simply getting your foot in the door, next it will be "we already have it in the AvA and the SEA we want it in the MA"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:05:42 PM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
No icon GV would be too hard for the gamers. personally i think the limited range icon and no enemy plane icon is fine enough
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »

Saying its just for AvA and SEA is simply getting your foot in the door, next it will be "we already have it in the AvA and the SEA we want it in the MA"

it would have no point and I would not go that way, I simply want it for an Option for AvA and Sea.

Ps
If you practice with no icons, its really not as hard as people think.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »
it would have no point and I would not go that way, I simply want it for an Option for AvA and Sea.

Ps
If you practice with no icons, its really not as hard as people think.

no icons is an OPTION in the AvA now for aircraft and somehow the powers that be have made that OPTION a standard, I have no illusions as to how much of an OPTION it would be if allowed.  GV's were originally introduced to help with base defense when bases got deacked, and evolved from that, based in the view system in AH no Icons for GV's is tandamount to invisible for planes and you know that which is why you are asking for it.  I simply oppose that idea for the reasons I have stated :salute
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »

It will never be implemented in the MA, for the simple fact that everyone flies the same aircraft. I really think you should give it a try in the AVA sometime Jim. My eyes are s**t and I'm hanging in there and having a blast. It really is immersive and only takes a couple of sorties to get used to. I have some idea of your preference of historical matchups and setups having flown with you. Just my two cents, but it might be worth your while to come in and check it out in the AVA. You may be pleasantly surprised at the fun you'll have.

<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
and you are how old????? I can't wait till you hit my age and see how you feel about what you just said......................... .....Just saying indeed  :furious :furious  I have no problems playing the game WITH icons which is HOW the game has been since day one.  It is almost like you younger guys would like to drive us out by adding more difficult things to the game.  I have now lost one choice in the game AvA due to no icons
the OP wants to take a couple MORE area's away.  BTW what the hell makes you think I DON'T wear my glasses while playing.

Boxboy you have been chiming that same objection since no enemy icons was brought up on these boards...and I do not recall seeing you or hearing about you being anywhere that no enemy icons was setup. If you are so old that closed minded is all you can manage, maybe WoW would be a better choice.
I'm 48 with 150/20 vision...and on a 22 inch monitor set to 1440x900 I can see what I need to see in order to fight...it just so happens that few people shoot outside of 500 yards range with no enemy icons...and at that range, using 1/2 zoom you can see the markings on the planes very easily. GV's can be seen as black spots from 3000 feet up...but it's a lot harder to target them without those big red letters guiding you in.

It's a challenging environment to be sure, but people are finding out it's easier than expected once they get used to it. So once and for all, give it a real try before you condemn it...because as of right now you're acting like a 90 year old croney that forgot what it was like to not have any excuses.

P.S. HiTech said that icons will never be disabled as a server setting in any of the main arenas...you must have missed that post.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
Boxboy you have been chiming that same objection since no enemy icons was brought up on these boards...and I do not recall seeing you or hearing about you being anywhere that no enemy icons was setup. If you are so old that closed minded is all you can manage, maybe WoW would be a better choice.
I'm 48 with 150/20 vision...and on a 22 inch monitor set to 1440x900 I can see what I need to see in order to fight...it just so happens that few people shoot outside of 500 yards range with no enemy icons...and at that range, using 1/2 zoom you can see the markings on the planes very easily. GV's can be seen as black spots from 3000 feet up...but it's a lot harder to target them without those big red letters guiding you in.

It's a challenging environment to be sure, but people are finding out it's easier than expected once they get used to it. So once and for all, give it a real try before you condemn it...because as of right now you're acting like a 90 year old croney that forgot what it was like to not have any excuses.

P.S. HiTech said that icons will never be disabled as a server setting in any of the main arenas...you must have missed that post.

When your 68 call me LOL, you and I just don't agree on this issue and I see no purpose in rehashing it all :salute
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »
I'm almost 40...... Thanks for reminding me my good days are gone......  :D  But I don't think you understood my point............  In plain English:

A good portion of our players wear reading glasses and/or have poor eyesight.  AND, the players on laptops do not have the graphics ability to play well with no icons.   What's your issue?

Read before you bark please. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 05:31:01 AM »
There is another game where this is so. It is the other MMO. You only have aircraft icons. It is more difficult, but anytime they move, there is the dust, any time they fire there is the tracer.  One could also compensate with larger size models from the air at various distances. The red just makes it to easy, especially if your under the trees.

Infidelz.