Author Topic: New sniper record  (Read 3105 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Re: New sniper record
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
Wrong :) common mistake though.

You assume the bullet flies perfectly through it's trajectory.

Yes I did, since I was already assuming we are in a vacuum and that the earth is flat I figured that was a given.  Besides in a vacuum it would follow a perfect trajectory.

In the real world I would say that I don't know, there are just to many variables to guess at.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:52:45 PM by saggs »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Yes I did, since I was already assuming we are in a vacuum and that the earth is flat I figured that was a given.  Besides in a vacuum it would follow a perfect trajectory.

In the real world I would say that I don't know, there are just to many variables to guess at.

I wasn't assuming a vacuum :)

In the real world depending on the range of the shot bullets go into a nose up attitude, this generates a miniscule amount of lift, but enough to make the dropped bullet hit the ground first.

If the barrel was parallel to the ground an relatively close to the ground the bullet probably wouldn't get to this stage of flight.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
I wasn't assuming a vacuum :)

In the real world depending on the range of the shot bullets go into a nose up attitude, this generates a miniscule amount of lift, but enough to make the dropped bullet hit the ground first.

If the barrel was parallel to the ground an relatively close to the ground the bullet probably wouldn't get to this stage of flight.

Also if fired close to the ground the bullet would gain some minuscule amount of lift from ground effect, would it not?   Or would the rotation of the bullet negate any lift effect?  I don't know.  :headscratch:

All these variables just go to show what an amazing feat a 1.5 mile shot is, truly amazing even with modern rangefinders and pocket computers that one could pull that off.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:01:25 PM by saggs »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
He dare nearly got killed him self, "In a remarkable tour of duty, he cheated death a few weeks later when a Taliban bullet pierced his helmet but was deflected away from his skull."
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
Very minuscule, and only for a few hundred yards..............  
Also if fired close to the ground the bullet would gain some minuscule amount of lift from ground effect, would it not?   Or would the rotation of the bullet negate any lift effect?  I don't know.  :headscratch:

All these variables just go to show what an amazing feat a 1.5 mile shot is, truly amazing even with modern rangefinders and pocket computers that one could pull that off.

You sir are correct about my question.  And sorry for not including the generic data for dropping / firing.  Figured it to be moot.  (not m00t)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:09:43 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
Sierra Hotel Cpl. Well done.  :salute
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:37 PM »
I call BS on this story completely...and I have shot the Lap 338 out to 1000 yards...

A simple look at the 338 Lapua Ballistics tables  tells one that the Lap338 drop at 1000 yards (less than half the distance claimed) is 147 inches at a 3000 fps muzzle velocity given a 250 grain BT projectile...

I can't even find ballistics calculations beyond 1800 meters for the Lap because its down range foot pounds of energy drops of the cliff...its wind drift becomes untenable and its trajectory becomes ballistic...

The article claims the sniper made contact downrange at 2.7 times the ballistics stated above of 1000 yards...given the fact that bullet drop acceleration is directly proportional to time and the gravitational constant of 9.8 meters/second squared...that would put the bullet drop for this shot at well over 425 inches or 35'...using a 250 grain bullet pushing 3000 fps mv...and that is smoking super pumped up hand load stuff...that is pushing the limits of known shoulder fired Lapua guns today...

Further...a 250 grain Lap338 round leaving at 3000 fps mv will drift nearly 5 feet in a 10 knot cross wind at 1000 yards...

Here are some ballistics charts on the Lapua 338 300 grain round (pumped at 2800 mv)...after you look at these and if you understand ballistics...you will realize that either the reporter who documented this is wrong...or the claim is flat out false...

More likely this shot was made with a 50 cal...and not a Lap 338...and even then..it would be a near record for shoulder fired center fire arms in terms of confirmed kills....

Oneway

These charts are the Lapua 338 at 2800 MV for a 300 grain load (that is max MV for the 300)

Please take note of the crosswind 10kt drift at 1600 meters for the Lap...and pay particular attention to the parabolic nature of the graph...

Nobody took out a raghead at 2500 meters with a Lap 338...

Total BS....

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:16:03 PM by oneway »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Onway, is it possible that the military have a special design 338 that is not sold to the public? 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Bah, charts be damned, we're talking about the real world.   Afghanistan is in the real world not some stinkin' chart.

Sure the reporter could have got it wrong, but I think it's possible.

I've seen video of a Barrett .416 target testing at 2000m, according to your charts (I'd guess it falls between the .50 BMG and the .338) that's questionable, yet in the real world it's doable.  Also that one bald guy on that one cable TV show hit targets at 2500yds with a CheyTac .408.    It's on Youtube somewhere.

Is the Lapua .338 really that inferior to a Barrett .416 or CheyTac .408?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:25:05 PM by saggs »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
Onway, is it possible that the military have a special design 338 that is not sold to the public?  

The longest confirmed shots on hvt's using the 50 bmg round are varied...they run around 2200-2500 meters..

I can assure you that the Lapua will not challenge that record anytime soon...before that happens the Chey Tac will be knocking...

This never happened...at least not the way the article describes it...

The Lapua round opens up opportunity in the 1000-1500 meter range above its typical competitors being the win 300 mag and others...

The Lap is a big game gun on steroids...its not an uber sniper weapon and it will never ever in a million years come close to what the BMG or Chey Tac can do...

This article claims the Lap killed at 2.4K meters...Never happened...total BS...that would have challenged the BMG and Chey...sorry not buying it

Do your own ballistics on a 300 grain - 2800 fps hunk of lead slung nearly a mile an half across the planet....it would be coming in like a russian ICBM to get that far...and when it did..it would be traveling at the velocity of an air gun...

Oneway
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:34:53 PM by oneway »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
OK, what about wind behind the bullet.  Could that help lengthening the distance for the bullet to travel?  Or even the environment condition? 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
OK, what about wind behind the bullet.  Could that help lengthening the distance for the bullet to travel?  Or even the environment condition?  

Wind has Zero effect on ballistics dynamically...once an object (projectile) enters a body of airspace in motion, that object in motion follows the rules of physics....as a pilot I am sure you are aware of this..

And to put things in perspective...10kts of wind relative to a 3000 fps muzzle velocity is the same as comparing 10kts to 2045 mph...

It becomes irrelevant...unless the wind component is at 90 degrees to the flight of the projectile in a horizontal sense...then it becomes quite significant...

But only because that every component of crosswind is constant and applied...

Oneway
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:06:14 AM by oneway »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »
OK, well, i never took physics nor do i know much about bullets ripping through the air.  So i can not question that snipers kills or your info but thx for educate me on something new.   
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »
OK, well, i never took physics nor do i know much about bullets ripping through the air.  So i can not question that snipers kills or your info but thx for educate me on something new.   

Neither did I...

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
Neither did I...

LOL, well you sure hell know a lot more than i do. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group