Author Topic: Versus  (Read 463 times)

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
Versus
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
Which is better in an upward style turn fight? N1K2 or 109K4?
Which is better in a dive style fight? P51D or 190D? I try to fly both and would like some light on this, thanks in advance.
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Re: Versus
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »
One could write about 50 pages to answer your questions, because so much is context-dependent.

Very briefly, and not taking into account pilot skill:

Upward style
If you're looking to force an increasingly tight spiral climb, the Niki would be better because of its superior low-speed manueverability with flaps deployed. The idea is that you are eventually sacrificing your climb potential to tighten an upwards turn that you know your enemy cannot follow. But if you are looking to ultimately gain the perch, the 109k is a better climber and better as a pure vertical fighter. However, I've always felt that the 109K fights better from below than from above.

Dive Style
The 51, if you are the aggressor. The reason is that its high speed flaps deployment allows you to quickly bleed E and increase your turn radius if your victim decides to induce increasingly tighter turns. However, I'd say it's the 190 if you are defending, because of its outstanding roll rate.
But for this example I am picturing a close in engagement. If you are talking about BnZ, I would recommend the 190, simply for its cannon snapshot potential and its ability to recover E vertically if you bleed too much on your passes.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »
K4 over Niki.  No question.

51 over Dora.  51 can get flaps out more easily.  Helps because fights go up and down.  And sometimes sideways.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »
Nik has the turn and firepower advantage, but the K4 can control the fight at will with its speed and climb.

190 has the roll advantage over the 51, and firepower.
P51 turns better, and can use its flaps to its advantage.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:09:46 AM »
Just speaking from my preference I would want to be in the K4 and the P51 for each style of fight.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
N1K2-J.
P51-D.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
"upwards style fight" is too vague.

In a vertical knife fight the niki should win.
In a vertical  energy fight the 109k should.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit