Author Topic: This week in the AvA - Leaning Into France  (Read 4971 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: This week in the AvA - Leaning Into France
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
Is there anything that says the capturable base has to have a runway?

Is there anything that says you can't have a runway and spawn points that can't be captured?

These are honest questions because I don't know.
No it doesn't have to have a runway...but it has to be a base of some sort.

Yes you can have bases that cannot be captured but in AH there currently isn't anything else to fight over. Dropping strats only brings things down to 25%...and as far as I know there isn't any way to tie strats in with bases...like take a base and the nearby city/factory changes ownership. There aren't a lot of destroyable objects and nothing that can be tied in to a strategic system of warfare...the existing terrains are not conducive to much more than 2 sided MA gameplay.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »

Okay, show us a jpg or two so we can see what you're talking about. This description is much too vague to work as it's presented.

Depends on what you define as base capture? In the real world the fight was centered on the communication system (Communication in a military sense...the ability to control a physical line of communication or contact). It can be thought of as supply lines. In this context the fight was over crossroads, bridges, ports, mountain passes and the like. Airfields were situated away from the forward edge of battle. Airfields that were too close were abandoned to the advancing enemy, not fought over.  A terrain that was designed for the "front" to be advanced by capturing parts of the communication system as I describe would be the place to start. Once the terrain existed then the strategy layer has to be built on top of it to make it work.  Airfields in this type terrain need only be runways with a spawn point since they would not be targets for capture.

As an example, in such a terrain the players should only be able to capture and hold strategically valuable points that are near or on the front. No jumping to the rear. I believe AH has the beginnings of this sort of strategic system but without a terrain built specifically for something like this no progress can be made.

Anyway, I believe such a terrain and strategy system would give players a reason to drive tanks, fly attack aircraft and bombers and fighter jocks would want to be where the fight was. A well designed terrain for historical 2 sided war is pretty easy to design so that the fight can only be in a few locations, thereby concentrating the fight.

DISCLAIMER: The above is only in reference to a limited historically minded arena, not for general population game play designed to attract large crowds. It is aimed at the limited audience of those interested in teamwork based game play with settings that attempt to reproduce the real world conditions that make flying a non-fighter non-suicidal (no icons is an example of such a setting)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 03:04:22 PM »
Like Jimson said, works in progress seem to be more along the line of what is being asked for.  Does that mean that you will have your wishes granted?  No one can say, until we have a finished and approved alternative.

In the meantime, come in and try the current setups, the way they are designed and see if you can't find something to do with the bombers added.  Bombing all the fighter hangars down, where easy fighter action might occur, will be severely frowned upon by almost everyone who currently flies in the arena.  Capturing one of these bases, and forcing a much longer flight to battle, will also draw even more criticism. 

When I design a mission to do a capture or an attack in the AvA:

• confirm settings -  don't be surprised if settings have been changed, due to the persistence of individual porkers / milkers / experimenting type players
  • choose a target base that does not impede the preferred fight
  • gather as many participants as possible, squads, BB posts, spam other Arenas, etc.
  • announce ahead of time a mission will be run
  • *important - Tune channel 200 and communicate on "All" channel

Then post the results of your mission on the forums.  Jaeger's propaganda for the JG54 was something I looked forward to reading (cough) debunking  :neener:

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
Dawger, the AvA staff is looking to get new smaller terrains made. Not trying to be cryptic, just trying to hold off on saying anything definitive until some are finished and approved.

New maps can be made, but what can be done with the current game engine for tactical and strategic objective play outside of base capture?

Be cryptic it adds suspense.  :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »

Other than you and that other guy that likes to take bases and pork dar when the arena is empty. Funny I never see you trying it when the arena is active during the evening. People are doing their best to improve the arena. Everybody's ideas get tried. Maybe you'd like to pitch in and help or is just sitting back and complaining your thing?

Sorry but you have the wrong idea about me.

1) I dont 'pork'  anything.  If I understand correctly, 'porking' is a bad term?  Do i misunderstand that?  Well I'll explain it my way...  Radar, like Vh's  are strategic for continuing successful operations.  I try to simulate a war and move the Front and if anyone is online try to get teamwork to do so.   That's what I'm accustomed to doing even in Warbirds.  Yes, also I do go on fighter sweeps to mix things up.   But I never just go out looking for a fight and land kills and gloat.  I fight to advance and fight to defend,  not for a stalemate.  

2) I fly when I can possibly do so,  there are other things to do outside of AH and WB.  And in that point, I do fly WB squad nights Mondays and S3 Sundays.   Then there is the AH squad nights when I try to fly Thursdays.   The rest is real life and any other time I can possibly be online to fly, given all the life issues out there.       And when I do fly and it is not the other areas being busy Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday night flying,   I do pop into the AvA  and cannot be blamed for trying to have fun when the arena is empty.  Never do I look for an empty arena to capitalize on..

3) And yes,  I have been trying to pitch in  'my views'.   Not sit back.  If I sat back, I wouldnt have even bothered to post here to begin with and then shuffle off to the main arena.     And given time on point #2,  my time is limited.  But what time I have I wouldn't mind trying to see how could help, which was why I was bringing ideas to the table.  Albiet they differ from yours and the experiences you have had.   That is what 'time'  is for.   The irony..

Lets just take the time to get the kinks worked out, shall we.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:55:13 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
I removed my intended sarcastic response instead I want to reply to your quote below from another thread.
This is all you had to say to begin with. It's doubtful there is anybody against base capture or GVs in the AVA. Me least of all. I don't participate much in either but I've always considered them good for the AVA. I designed 10 setups for the AVA two have no base capture option. Leaning into France is probably my least favorite of any of the setups. I'm just not an RAF vs Luftwaffe guy. However I know some people are so I made the setup with the Luftwaffe and RAF types in mind. I try to appeal to different interest yet give a historic setting on any setups I come up with. Also when I design setups and submit them to the AVA staff it is not up to me when they get used or if they get used at all I have no say so in that department. However I think you should know there is no subversive movement to keep base capture out of the AVA actually it's quite the opposite. Had you made this post first, many of us would have probably taken your issue in a different light.

<S>

I understand your option of seeing 'action' differ than mine.   Legitimate explanation of C47s are that they do bring action, they do bring teamwork.  It worked in Dday, with people wanting to come with me to bomb a field,  go after fighters,  hunting bombers coming into our fields,  hunting enemy troop carriers,  running fighter ops,  gv ops.   That is all because of the wonders of the C47 when bases are separated by water.

Enemies come to stop you,  you up to take them out with other fighters,  they fight back, you fight back, they gain ground, they lose ground.  That is war.

Take that away and all you have left are people just out for a good dogfight for an entire week.  A duel with historical plane match.       I get it what you and a few others want when flying online,  It's fine just as long as us other folks get what we would like to have.  You just want a week to dog fight,  that is fine by me.   It's ok to have that one moment in history where you can just duke it out.   Go for it..  Just as our moments in history where we would like the mirage of belief we are mud moving toward winning an unwinnable war because the mirage disapears in one week,    your dogfight scenario disappears in one week.  Or does it?  (During D-day I still saw plenty of guys dogfighting with limited plane sets over the very same part of the channel).  

But It's ok,   just as long as it bring participation in other upcoming maps.  Hard work designing something to keep things interesting.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:05:28 PM by Shifty »

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
Up base capture to twenty troops and increase the hardness of the town buildings
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
Lots of cryptic remarks popping up in this thread but I've learned over a decade in MMOG that when the insiders are cryptic the outsiders usually don't like the end result.

:rolleyes:

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
I say consistent settings from setup to setup, allow the choice of ride be the only variable.  Include GVs and capture with each setup, keep some bases un-captureable so the dogfighters will have opportunity and also to prevent a reset.   Icons I like the way they are, dark I hate but seems to have a following,  I also like the thought of dot dar only in the tower but Bar Dar from cockpit to find fight.  Just my opinion of course, but either way been having fun in the AvA when I get a chance to get online. <S>
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 02:59:15 PM »
No it doesn't have to have a runway...but it has to be a base of some sort.

Yes you can have bases that cannot be captured but in AH there currently isn't anything else to fight over. Dropping strats only brings things down to 25%...and as far as I know there isn't any way to tie strats in with bases...like take a base and the nearby city/factory changes ownership. There aren't a lot of destroyable objects and nothing that can be tied in to a strategic system of warfare...the existing terrains are not conducive to much more than 2 sided MA gameplay.

How far away from a base can you create a spawn point for aircraft?

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
Has anyone ever tried setting up an AvA event on an off FSO night? 

I have never seen anyone notify from the server (in light blue text) that reaches out to the MAs.  I may be able to spark interest from my squad to come in on those off FSO nights if this is a possibility. 

Often times, week nights are often difficult for many of us. 

Your thoughts?
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »

I have never seen anyone notify from the server (in light blue text) that reaches out to the MAs.  I may be able to spark interest from my squad to come in on those off FSO nights if this is a possibility. 

Your thoughts?

That would be a great idea, and would convince some who would normally be online in big numbers anyway.   If other squads go in there on Friday Off-FSO-nights,  I could see about getting some of my Squad in there also. 
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

Your thoughts?

There is one hitch, Dadog is running the combat challenge on off Fridays. No enemy icons and the logs are on. It may be worth a try though.

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug:
I say consistent settings from setup to setup, allow the choice of ride be the only variable.  Include GVs and capture with each setup, keep some bases un-captureable so the dogfighters will have opportunity and also to prevent a reset.   Icons I like the way they are, dark I hate but seems to have a following,  I also like the thought of dot dar only in the tower but Bar Dar from cockpit to find fight.

+1   :aok