Author Topic: Track ir 5  (Read 1435 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Track ir 5
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
Humble I liked flying with TrackIR 4 but I didn't like it for fighting. I got TrackIR 5 and use it all the time now. The increased area coverage and resolution made the difference.
I have the 4 as well & don't use it that much either for fighting. Pondered upgrading to the 5 & was waiting for some in AHII to post an opinion. I may have to consider it now. :aok

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 01:00:14 AM »
Anyone have any TIR5 vids they can post? I've been contemplating this as well.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
I have it and can't get the rear views in the F4U. I've heard others are able to get it to work but, I can't figure it out.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:15 AM »
I have it and can't get the rear views in the F4U. I've heard others are able to get it to work but, I can't figure it out.

I get the rear views with no problems at all, I can juuust almost see where the rudder and stabs connect when I look back.  My problem with the F4U is that plate overhead.  When I look straight up, that's all I see.  I can get around it by leaning to one side or the other and looking up, or by leaning forward towards my monitor and looking up.  The problem there however, is that soon as you start having to do that, you're thinking about your views and moving your body and working to keep the bad guy in sight, and NOT thinking about flying and fighting.  It's distracting and detrimental to acm.  Soon that should be fixed however. 

If you're having trouble getting the dead 6 view in it, maybe you need to tweak on your profile some. I use the 4 hardware and the 5 software.  Keep it pretty aggressive and you shouldn't have much problem.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Ive heard a few people say that they dont use it for fighting, If not what do you use it for?

Also how does the TIR affect GV aiming and performance, I know it would be great for exterior views, but kind of wondered about gunnery views :joystick:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
Also how does the TIR affect GV aiming and performance, I know it would be great for exterior views, but kind of wondered about gunnery views :joystick:

It's flat useless in the tank gunner position. The tank sight is not a reflecting gunsight.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »
Ive heard a few people say that they dont use it for fighting, If not what do you use it for?

I love my TrackIR4... wonder what I did before I got it.  Yes, it is that fast and snappy.. the biggest problem is muscle memory.  You don't realize how much you move your head during flight until after you get it.  It takes a bit of 'restraint' to learn to keep your head perfectly still while aiming, but really.. it's not THAT big of a deal.

As for using a HAT with it, yes it is possible.  TrackIR (and AH) can track side to side, up and down, forward and back, rotational (like a puppy tilting his head when you sing to him), and pivoting (like turning your neck to look around).  If you use a HAT view, it disables all but the side to side, up to down movement.  It also turns off your saved head positions, so you'll be looking at your seat until you move your head left or right.  Because of this I usually don't bother, but I can see how some people would find this easier.

As for GVing.. I turn it off for that.  It really screws up targeting and the like while in a tank, especially in a zoomed in turret.  I have two buttons programmed on my joystick - TrackIR ON/OFF and TrackIR Center.

I also usually turn it off while doing level bombing, and while flying the IL2 because of the site...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
Tigger29 set a little deadzone and you won't have to hold your head so still.

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »
I'll keep tweeking! LOL
 :joystick:

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
Ok, so you can set a deadzone for the TIR that should make things a bit easier in the transition phase into the track format.
also another concern has been answered , that being you can hotkey the on,off,center position of the track ir :joystick:

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
And now with AH2 2.19, the default head position saved in each airplane (with the F10 key) is now also the default head position for TIR when you jump into the plane.  It used to be defaulted to "somewhere" in the cockpit - maybe the middle of the seat or something.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
And now with AH2 2.19, the default head position saved in each airplane (with the F10 key) is now also the default head position for TIR when you jump into the plane.  It used to be defaulted to "somewhere" in the cockpit - maybe the middle of the seat or something.

Yep, and it's great! 

Went up today and spent some time changing my head positions, I can see over the nose and have better 6 views all at once.  I absolutely love that fix!!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »

For real?!   :x

JOY!!!

As others have said, I personally like putting in some deadband, and I'll second Lusche's liking for the aggressive profile.  It's good when you have a little 'dead' globe your head can be in for gunnery, and if it only takes you the bare minimum of movement to move around the cockpit.  I probably only have to move my head an inch or so to get all the way to the side of the cockpit when I need to see around the seat back.

One thing that's been touched on, spend the time tweaking and refining your profile.  Other peoples' profiles might be good starting points, but from what I've seen, TIR is probably the most personal setting you can have for this game.  If it doesn't feel right, it can make it nearly impossible to fly, but once you get it exactly how you like it, it becomes second nature.  For me, it was the difference between being able to keep track of where a con was, and being able to keep track of where he is, and what he is up to.  It was a major SA upgrade for me.  YMMV.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
i myself can not stand trakir in aces... I no lot's of people who love it... I can't see bellybutton well with it from the check 6 view...
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...