Author Topic: Anyone have luck playing on linux?  (Read 558 times)

Offline the4ork

• Zinc Member
Anyone have luck playing on linux?
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:54:27 AM »
has anyone had any luck playing ah2 on Linux, in particular Ubuntu 10? with wine?

or osx10?

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Anyone have luck playing on linux?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:55 AM »
There are a couple of AH on linux threads here in hardware and software. Search back and you'll find them.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
Last time I tried I could get AH to run but all inputs were glitching badly. If you don't configure sound correctly in Wine you won't be able to start AH at all.

Controls would probably have been configurable too but hey, I have windows so why bother.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:58:42 AM »
IIRC one of the last updates they changed it so AH could run without proper sound drivers installed... so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue now (the sound thing).

I also read somewhere that Wine doesn't work 100%, but there was some alternative that does.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
I run Aces High 2 Version 2.12Patch 4 frequently on Linux. I also run Aces High 1 Version 1.14 Patch 4. on LINUX, and there have been SIGNIFICANT changes since those days.

Here is my web site detailing EXACTLY how I did what I did, commencing with the very most basics of downloading and installing LINUX. The Aces High stuff is toward the end of this substantial series.

http://www.howigotitworking.com/LINUX/PcLinuxOs2008Minime/SwitchingToPcLinuxOs2008Page01Full.htm

Regards,

I

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
I ran it with wine for a while,on linux!
 no need to anymore since i have my big computer on win 7 now, the game has never run better!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
indeed, running it on an emulator/compatibility layer(wine/cedega/crossover) will not allow you to get 100% similar performance as compared to running it on native windows.

just dual-boot it and be done with it. i only boot to windows when scenarios are in-season. next one is late june/early july. until then im on my debian.