Author Topic: Minimum map persistence  (Read 709 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Minimum map persistence
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
I noticed that CraterMA lasted only one day this cycle.  I logged off at 10pm CST and everything was fine; this morning it was gone. 

HTC should consider implementing a minimum map persistence (or whatever one calls it) for the more popular maps.  Maybe 2 or 3 days.  If one country "won" the map before that, the reset would return the same map, rather than the next in line. 

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Minimum map persistence
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
From someone who can't keep the maps straight I say +1. It seems like ease of winnability shouldn't be the sole criteria for how long a map is up.
Pies not kicks.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
The small maps can be reset in mere hours, the large ones can stagnate all week. 
Therefore, I vote once again for the 24/72 hour map duration standard:

Any war win within 24 hours will reset the same map.  After 24 hours, a war win results in the next map in the rotation.

Any map still up at 72 hours will be reset to the next map in the rotation.

Also, when the war is won, the arena should remain open for 15 minutes, while the next map is simultaneously opened in a duplicate arena.
This will let any fight continue on and give base takers a head start on the new map. 

As it is, it often takes a while to build up a fight on a new map.  This feature would help get things moving faster, similar to the Off-Hours Arena thing.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
Does anyone know that makes certain maps so easy to reset?  As the OP mentions CraterMA never last for very long at all despite being sort of large.  Yet some maps, one in particular I can't remember the name of, live virtually forever.  Do map designers have a handle on this and design it purposely or is it just by chance?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
Does anyone know that makes certain maps so easy to reset?  As the OP mentions CraterMA never last for very long at all despite being sort of large.  Yet some maps, one in particular I can't remember the name of, live virtually forever.  Do map designers have a handle on this and design it purposely or is it just by chance?

I think craterMA gets reset quickly because a lot of players like to hang out in the crater. This does a couple of things. 1, it means even LESS defenders to slow the base taking. 2, There are some players who seem to really hate seeing other people have fun. These are the players who take all of the tank town bases, or drop hangers at a furball and then sit giggling with each other because they got to take the fun out of the game for a bunch of players.

Other maps take for ever because the number of bases needed is pretty large and there isn't anything to distract players. Base lay out has a lot to do with it as well.

Someone once...or twice  :devil suggested adjusting the percentage needed to win the be based on the map its self. CraterMA goes by too fast and so the percentage of bases needed to win should be raised, the new fester map, less as it takes too long to win that one. Each map has it's own setting, they just need to be tweaked.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:02:33 PM »

Someone once...or twice  :devil suggested adjusting the percentage needed to win the be based on the map its self. CraterMA goes by too fast and so the percentage of bases needed to win should be raised, the new fester map, less as it takes too long to win that one. Each map has it's own setting, they just need to be tweaked.

+1
 I could live with that. Another option would be to make the percentage on a sliding scale, first 26 hours set at 30%, then it drops to 27% after and additional 24 hours,  then 24%, etc. etc. till you reach a predetermined minimum.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
My preferred solution would be to have CraterMA in the rotation one or two more times.  Not sure I want every map back if it gets rolled quickly.
AMAX  in game

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
My preferred solution would be to have CraterMA in the rotation one or two more times.  Not sure I want every map back if it gets rolled quickly.

I'm fine with that too.