Author Topic: Why Didnt i get the Kill ?  (Read 806 times)

Offline ePIC

• Copper Member
Why Didnt i get the Kill ?
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »

I gunned a  Panzer IV Flak flying a YAK9T armed with a 37mm canon. After taking out the turret I was not able to follow up on destroying the Flak, even after multiple 37mm gun hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTrbnsyO-4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asTrbnsyO-4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asTrbnsyO-4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:mad:  Not Fun

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Why Didnt i get the Kill ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
I gunned a  Panzer IV Flak flying a YAK9T armed with a 37mm canon. After taking out the turret I was not able to follow up on destroying the Flak, even after multiple 37mm gun hits

First, when it comes to questions of gameplay like this, Youtube and similar videos are not the best choice. It's better to present the raw .ahf film that allows a better examination.

This is getting obvious when Icome to your question: "Why didn'tI get the kill?"
My question to you is: What do you mean by that? Was the Wirbelwind killed by someone else and you only did get an assist and now you are wondering why? Or was the Wirbel still up when you landed, and you are just asking why you weren't able to blow him up? From the .ahf film I could have seen the whole situation.

Now if it's been case 1 (someone else got credit for the kill) - It's the one doing the most damage to the target that is getting the kill credit. If another tank finally killed the Wirbel by shooting the hull, most of the time he will get the kill credit.
If it's been case 2 (why did I smoke the turret only, and why did he not blow up): The Yak-9t is no tank buster. It's firing HE shells, not AP. It's well suited to kill light vehicles, or disable the open (!) turret of a Wirbelwind, but it has a very hard time to penetrate the main armor of a real tank. For that, take a Hurri D, Il-2 or B-25H(which also has HE, but the shell is simply big enough).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ePIC

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
The .AHF was too long 8 minutes. No I didnt get the kill or assist.

Regardless of the shells being HE a hit on the top engine deck should have taken out the tank.

These were also high angle shots that should have had signifcant effect on low density top armor plate.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
Top of the engine deck is still armored.  The HE round from a Yak-9T won't penetrate that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
The .AHF was too long 8 minutes. No I didnt get the kill or assist.

Regardless of the shells being HE a hit on the top engine deck should have taken out the tank.

These were also high angle shots that should have had signifcant effect on low density top armor plate.

Epic - you can mark the the beginning and end of the AHF film, then click "Copy Selected" to make a new AHF of just that section.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 07:37:41 AM »
<snip>

The Yak-9t is no tank buster. It's firing HE shells, not AP. It's well suited to kill light vehicles, or disable the open (!) turret of a Wirbelwind, but it has a very hard time to penetrate the main armor of a real tank. For that, take a Hurri D, Il-2 or B-25H(which also has HE, but the shell is simply big enough).

In-game, don't the Yak-9T and the IL-2 use the same NS-37mm cannon?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
In-game, don't the Yak-9T and the IL-2 use the same NS-37mm cannon?
Yak-T =HE
Il2=AP

You can kill a panzer with the yak but you must hit it in the arse.
See Rule #4

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »
You can kill a flak with a 9T by shooting down into the turret from above.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:54:32 AM »
Yak-T =HE
Il2=AP

You can kill a panzer with the yak but you must hit it in the arse.

IL-2 and the Yak-9T both have the same 30/37mm hit sprites, though? Having flow both (ingame) air to air and air to ground, I'm fairly certain they both use the same ammunition.

Looking at the Relative Projectile Strength table on the Trainer's site, it lists three different types of 37mm ammunition : 37mm NS37, 37mm HE Ostwind / 37mm AP, and 37mm HE.

I'm going to assume the in-game 37mm NS37 cannons on both the Yak-9T and IL-2 fire the same shells, which are HE shells.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:41 AM »
IL-2 and the Yak-9T both have the same 30/37mm hit sprites, though? Having flow both (ingame) air to air and air to ground, I'm fairly certain they both use the same ammunition.

Looking at the Relative Projectile Strength table on the Trainer's site, it lists three different types of 37mm ammunition : 37mm NS37, 37mm HE Ostwind / 37mm AP, and 37mm HE.

I'm going to assume the in-game 37mm NS37 cannons on both the Yak-9T and IL-2 fire the same shells, which are HE shells.

I'm telling you they do not and here is how to test.

1. increase the ammunition multiplier  off line.
2. up an il2 start film and try and kill the tiger drone.
3. once you kill the drone a few times, up a yakT. again start film.
4. Only when you kill the tiger with the yak t come back and post the film.

:devil
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

This is only the projectile strength vs ground objects (structures).

To test strength vs vehicles, do as Bronk wrote. But don't forget to set the ammo modifier to 10x, so that you won't have reup again and again just to see a hundred Yak-9T shells bouncing off the Tiger where 10-30 Il2 shells will blow it up. ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
You can kill a flak with a 9T by shooting down into the turret from above.

And hope you don't augur in the process  :pray
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
Yak9t is HE and will often "disable" targets like the wirble by taking out there turret.

Getting a kill on a panzer or wirble is tough, can be done, but its not easy.

They work great on softer targets like halftracks, m3's, lvt's, and jeeps.