Author Topic: 24 Bombsight  (Read 1520 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: 24 Bombsight
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
What is the difference between adjusting with Stick and adjusting with rudder?
I always do rudder... :eek:

When you are in the bombsight (F6) the stick controls your rudders.  Your normal rudder inputs dont do anything in F6 mode. 

I usually calibrate twice... once at 12 miles out.  Then again right before I drop (assuming I am not getting hammered by fighters).  I have E6B open so I can make sure my current speed matches my calibrated speed, and climb rate is zero.  I never bomb at full throttle either... I always cut it back quite a bit on throttle and RPM so I have room to adjust in either direction to tune in the speed better.  As soon as I drop, I hit the U key... giving me a straight down look so I can see where my bombs hit better than I can from F3 looking straight down (again... assuming I am not defending myself).  As long as I dont hit Y again, my calibration doesnt change.

Good luck <S>

***G3-MF***

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
      • 303rd - Americas Army Clan
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »
When you are in the bombsight (F6) the stick controls your rudders.  Your normal rudder inputs dont do anything in F6 mode. 

Mine manual input of rudder withouth touching stick does work in F6, my movent of stick while in F6 is to much uncontrolled.
Thats why I use manual rudder wich is more accurate and slow for small corrections.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
Is that something I have to set up?  Cause I have never seen the rudder controls work in F6

***G3-MF***

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
I'm not sure how it's Called in the settings. (not home atm)

It is in flight settings and I do think it has the word Rudder in it. (Rudder right and Rudder left I think)

I'll check when I'm home.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »
1. Reduce your rpm (- and = keys control engine rpm) to 2300 or less rpm to reduce your airspeed. A bomb run at full power can lead to dropping a little long with the B-24. The error is magnified, the higher above the target you are.

2. It is not necessary to continually check your E6B and adjust to the airspeed and altitude from your first calibration. Just calibrate for about 5-8 seconds after your speed has stabilized and just before your drop. You should try to align to your target from about the radar circle distance (about 12 miles out) from the target. You can align by going to the front gun, then press F3 and steer with your rudders. You can zoom in and align from about 20 miles using that method.

3. The only way to steer from in the F6 bombsight view is to use your stick left and right. That will turn the aircraft slowly using rudders, but you cannot use your rudder input from your pedals, stick or keyboard. You joystick controls the rudders while in the F6 view. The posts above are incorrect.

4. Please check the write up on bombing in the trainers information link in my signature. You'll find more in-depth information.

Yes, the B-24 can indeed drop a little off target if you are at full power.

Good luck and send a PM if you have any questions after trying this technique and reading the trainer write up.

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
1. Reduce your rpm (- and = keys control engine rpm) to 2300 or less rpm to reduce your airspeed. A bomb run at full power can lead to dropping a little long with the B-24. The error is magnified, the higher above the target you are.

2. It is not necessary to continually check your E6B and adjust to the airspeed and altitude from your first calibration. Just calibrate for about 5-8 seconds after your speed has stabilized and just before your drop. You should try to align to your target from about the radar circle distance (about 12 miles out) from the target. You can align by going to the front gun, then press F3 and steer with your rudders. You can zoom in and align from about 20 miles using that method.

3. The only way to steer from in the F6 bombsight view is to use your stick left and right. That will turn the aircraft slowly using rudders, but you cannot use your rudder input from your pedals, stick or keyboard. You joystick controls the rudders while in the F6 view. The posts above are incorrect.

4. Please check the write up on bombing in the trainers information link in my signature. You'll find more in-depth information.

Yes, the B-24 can indeed drop a little off target if you are at full power.

Good luck and send a PM if you have any questions after trying this technique and reading the trainer write up.

I gues I have an advantage than
I fly with a mouse.
In F6 mode I can use mouse to steer and use rudder with keyboard.

Call me a liar if you want but I'm doing it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:18:06 PM by Ghostbuster »

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
I gues I have an advantage than
I fly with a mouse.
In F6 mode I can use mouse to steer and use rudder with keyboard.

Call me a liar if you want but I'm doing it.

Ahhhh..... With a stick you cant do that.

***G3-MF***

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
I'm not sure how it's Called in the settings. (not home atm)

It is in flight settings and I do think it has the word Rudder in it. (Rudder right and Rudder left I think)

I'll check when I'm home.

Rudder Trim?  Keyboard J and L. 

That's what I use to adjust while under the hood.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »
I have changed all the keys, so yes it could be that.

Offline FlakBait422

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
Why is the 24's bombsight so in-accurate i mean i leveled just like a would in a 17 and hit my target,why cant i do it in a 24?Am i just calibrating wrong i never miss in 17's but i always miss in a 24.
Here is the only situation I can see int he B-24. The 24 is SLOWER in the turn while you're in the bombsite, due to its high wing as Ive come to believe. With the 17, the low wing changed the CG with the bomb payload and allows it to roll better, not to mention it doesnt have the squared off wingtips. When you turn the 24, it will list more than the 17, just get lined up better and it shouldnt be a problem. -<S>-  :salute
--Good luck on your runs, need help with buff training, PM me
 :cheers: FlakBait
I was told by a wise man to change my forum signature... and so I have. I am a better man now ;)

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
Oh well not having any trouble any more.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »

Just as a note, your stick controls your ailerons in F6 mode. It's the same as getting in a gun and twisting your rudder, just less violent and the bombsite points down no matter what.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, at about 16,000 you have to start aiming a little behind the target, to make up for space. And Rolex beat me to it, slowing down gives you more accuracy and also gives you more time to correct if need be.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>