Author Topic: Anyone have a link for DIY hard drive install for dummy's?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Anyone have a link for DIY hard drive install for dummy's?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Update, computer geek friend coming over Sunday to help me install new HD.  No partitions for me, all I have on my 'puter is games and outlook express.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Rip I installed my HD myself "read its really easy"  These guys are making it sound complicated.

Using rosco's non geek terms

1: Set it as master, it will be stamped in the hd itself or have a sticker with jumper positions.

2: Put it on the main ribbon, "the right most connector on the MB" with the red wire facing out

3: Make sure the next device in that same ribbon is set as slave "reread #1"

4: Use boot disk, start comp and at the prompt type fdisk and it will tell you what to do basicly, creat a partition, make it bootable enter volume lable "i just hit enter for volume lable, for none"  then youll have to restart.

5 restart and then format your new partition. format/c youll have to restart ag ain i believe

6 restart with cd rom support and start your windows installation

I created 2 partitons, one main one and a second one for my data, MP3's and stuff. That way I can wipe the c partition, start from scratch and not have to copy my fav music back to HD from cd every time. This doesnt mean you dont do regular backups though  :)

And i bought a ibm deskstar, 30 gb. It works, its really quiet, what else does one need?

Sit down with your geek friend and watch what he does, nothing to it at all. All this techno babble isnt necessary. Its only purpose is to confuse us computer illiterate people. Fat this DMA that, who cares, you tell the guy at the store what you have, he sells you something compatable with your system and you just do it. you dont need to know all that stuff
  :)

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
If you made a boot disk from Win 98 or ME it automaticly has cd drivers included. A bootable CD is made from your Bootable floppy so it would be the same. CD is faster to boot up than a floppy, other than that no difference.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Saturday I bought and installed

Western Digital Hard Drive
40 gigabyet
Ultra ATA/100
7200 rpm
Internal EIDE

very easy install works great

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
So, I got new HD nstalled, but am sitting at an A:\ prompt, when I type in FDISK, it says "bad command or file name"...any clues?

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2001, 05:37:00 PM »
Fdisk is not stored in A:\ its usaually in D:\ or E:\ depending on your set up disk and cdrom setup's
  :cool:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:
So, I got new HD nstalled, but am sitting at an A:\ prompt, when I type in FDISK, it says "bad command or file name"...any clues?

did you use the win98 boot disk?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Neg, used a Win ME boot disk, got it up and running just fine.  Just have to reload everything  :(