Author Topic: Why will HTC never back out of a release?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Rhah

• Copper Member
Re: Why will HTC never back out of a release?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
also for Windows XP SP3 your page file used is showing you have prob around 40+ processes running........

a good clean WinXP SP3 install will be around 24 processes max runing at idle....... a more thorough cleaned and tuned winXP system would be around 20 processes down to 18 processes running at idle......

you might want to tune-up your Windows XP OS, a lil bit ... them processes running in the background needlessly can be causing some of your problems possibly.......

hope this helps

I checked out my computer and it said i had 60+ processes running. will cutting some of these out speed up my computer? and if so, what should i get rid of?
Kommando Nowotny

Your level of fail is increasing exponentially with every subsequent post

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »
I checked out my computer and it said i had 60+ processes running. will cutting some of these out speed up my computer? and if so, what should i get rid of?

Voltaire,
it is very possible it will help speed it up........

first thing would be to post a DXDIAG report  & if possible open up your Task Manager and take a screenshot of the processes tab, showing what is running........

the website that Semp ( guncrasher ) posted above is a very good site on tweaking / turning off processes ( & services )

but without seeing what you have is hard to tell you anything, Sir

as bustr posted, my system also sets idle @ 17 processes running and that includes ESET smart Security 4, windows update notification,( just notifys does not auto download or install updates ) I also have access to my windows HELP, and have file indexing turned on .....  I could easily cut it to 13 processes if I needed too.............. whatever makes anyone happy....

www.blackviper.com

also, as mentioned by Fugitive, Alacrity , is an easy program to use , our own HomeBoy ( ah player ) even wrote a guide on how to tweak your PC and then install Alacrity and tweak it some more.....is hosted on the alacrity website..... ( can also be found linked to and talked about in several threads in the Hardware & Software forum here )

hope this helps~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
The page file itself isn't going to be an issue. In fact that's a perfectly reasonable sized page file. Keep in mind he's ONLY using 419MB of it. Hell WinXP is happy to use up more with less impact.
Not with the amount of system RAM and the video card he has...especially on an XP system.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
You actually won't know what you are getting until we pass it...

~Pelosi~

My Aces High is Hosed.
I get a Windows screen with blue frames. a slow mouse.
then if I do get the cusor on "Online Arenas" any map I pick has me at "0 Frames"
That's "ZERO Frames"
Sux to be me.

Mac

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Don't know if it's the patches or new drivers + nearly half the running processes shut down with Game Booster, but everything seems fine now. I'll see what happens when the sound update comes back.

Oh, and Skuzzy - I wasn't suggesting that the release should be junked, just that the changes that are causing lots of people or even everyone problems - like the sound update that made everyone lose vox - be taken out until they can be fixed, which seems to be what you've done here. Anyway, thanks for the response. 

:salute

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
try this website. just remember every process you terminate can affect something that you normally would use, but wont necessarily need.  best thing i like about the website is that it offers what should be the standard settings in case something doesnt work and you need to go back.  I used the tweaked conf and had it around 30-35 processes. just be aware that things like auto updated wont work or your help search.

semp

http://www.blackviper.com/

Blackviper's site is great . At idle i run 12 processes( 13 with AH running)  which is bare bones ....... but it really makes for a responsive machine . Of course if i need to print something I have to turn on a service .....if i need to update XP I have to start a few more ......but it's easy to do and worth it to me .

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:28 AM »
To answer the original question.  There is always an inherent risk when moving forward.  However, it is better than the alternative, which is to stagnate and die.

No matter how much we can do, internally, to test a new release, we cannot possibly hope to match all the hardware and software configurations of thousands of other computer systems.

When I get a new computer, I'll send you guys this POS.  I'm sure it will error trap all sorts of stuff.   :lol