Author Topic: I no longer recommend CH Products.  (Read 973 times)

eskimo

I no longer recommend CH Products.
« on: April 01, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »

I thought that I had finally found a joystick manufactuer that was free of major bugs.  I have had my CH Pro Pedals for a couple of years, they have worked well.  I have had my CH F-16 Fighterstick for about 3 or 4 months.  It worked well untill I bought my CH Pro Throttle about 1 month ago.  Since then when I start my computer the CH software (Speedkeys) cannot find the joystick.  Sometimes on start-up Win. 98 can't find the keyboard.  Friends have told me to unplug the joystick and throttle overnight (This worked).  In a prompt responce to an E-mail CH told me to do a hard reset on the throttle.  After realizing that I need to do a hard reset 75% of the time, I have been doing a hard reset at each start-up of the computer.  I then redownload speedkeys and everything works fine untill I shut the system off.  Most of the times that I have done a hard reset, speedkeys has been able to find the joystick.  About 10% of the time the system can't find the keyboard.  At that point the on/off switch won't work and I must unplug the main power supply.  About another 10% of the time speedkeys cannot find the joystick and I must restart/ re-hard reset the joystick/throttle.  Today this is what has happened, except that speedkeys could not find the joystick on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th tries.  I am very frustrated with CH Products and am concerned with how much wear and tear I am putting on my system with all of the restarts/unplugs.  My computer is fairly new (P-2 450), and I didn't have similar problems before I bought the CH Pro Throttle.  My PDPI gamecard has always worked well.  CH also said in a later E-mail question responce:

"The problem may be related to your keyboard or the voltage being supplied by your gameport. If there is any fluctuation in your gameport
(if it ever drops below 5 volts) the throttle will cease to work. Also, if your power supply in your case is anemic (230W or less) that could
cause inconsistent power output which would also lock up the throttle."

I don't think that CH can blame this on anything other than their products.  I told CH that I planned on posting my problems with CH on the AH bulitin board if an reasonable solution to my problem was not presented to me. I am dissapointed that CH is willing to leave it's customers high and dry with faulty products or software, and no solutions.  I have talked to many CH Products users (in person and by E-mail/posts) that have had similar problems.  My problem is not new or unique.  I am recommending to potential customers that they do not buy CH Products since I have had serious problems that have not been reasonably fixed by CH. I also anticipate trying a different joystick system soon if a solution is not presented to me by CH.

eskimo

funked

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2000, 11:47:00 PM »
I agree completely.  CH has known of these problems for 4 years and has not changed the product.  They have continued to put it on the shelves knowing a certain percentage of users with "compatible" equipment will be unable to use the product.

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
Now I'm glad I went with the Saitex X36F.

eskimo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2000, 08:48:00 PM »
test

eskimo

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
test

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2000, 09:29:00 PM »
<---Very Happy Saitek USB X36 user

PC Dash is nice add on too.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2000, 10:45:00 PM »
Very Happy CH Product user!!!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
I like my CH products too.

My old one stared crapping out after 4 years of intensive use.

My new Fighterstick suffer from some spiking probs in AH occasionally though.

At least they used to make great quality joysticks. Maybe it has changed. But as long as this joystick works, functionally it's one of the best on the market I feel.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »
Have to say this . I bought a used CH setup on eBay , and it's great . The combat stick was the smoothest I had ever used .

Now the bad thing . Thinking these are great , I ordered a Fighter stick from  www.buy.com   ( cause I want a eight way hat in this game )and it was just crap . I mean the slop or end play where the handle met the base was very bad  . You could even move it with your fingers and lose your calibration in window that the AH game would NOT say on auto pilot . I did send it back Saturday   .
I am now useing MSPPRO USB as the x and y axis , ProThrottle and Ch pedals . Works great too I might add . Plus the stick is only 49.95 USD on buy.com and it has a twenty dollar rebate .

Cheers spro

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!

air_squadron
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2000, 07:31:00 PM »
OK, if not CH, then what?

Suncom?

They don't have a USB throttle yet (they say they will release it during the summer, but what's that worth?), and the standard FC stick has not that many buttons (the Talon stick is also supposed to come out during the summer). And they don't have pedals.

Saitek?

There's a lot of bad things said about Saitek... but reviews of the X36 USB Combo are good, the price is good, and they plan to support Win2k soon.

Thrustmaster is not even an alternative any more.

There are not that many serious players...

Who makes decent USB rudder pedals, apart from CH?

------------------
DrSoya
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF
Part of Northolt Wing