Author Topic: Arena cap  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 05:58:02 PM »

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Giteyup!!!
Yep, a dead horse that needs to be resurrected and sorted out...
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »
"You cannot complain about the arena cap ten minutes after it goes into effect.

Go to the other arena.  I bet all your squaddies could get in too.

It's your $15.  Don't play and wait as long as you like.

Here's some cheese to look at while you wait....
"
Hey, what a stupid post, you must have real issues, thanks for sharing them with us.

Actually, I don't have a problem.  I'll fly in the other arena.

:devil

Start the caps 4 hours later than it is set to engage currently and deactivate them an hour earlier than it is currently.  That would fix a lot of problems imo.  Fluctuate the initiations and closing times accordingly as the monthly stats alter.  /discussion

Or, have caps on all the time so the arena numbers stay closer to each other all the time, doing away with what seems like a greater disparity than it is.

Arena Caps late at night for the US are not necessary. There is no purpose at all...it's not like there is gonna be an influx of 1001001010 players all of a sudden LOL. HTC could just flip it to 400 for each arena at the end of the day and go home happy to their wives and domestic/imported beverages whilst we pwn  in whatever arena we want.

Caps ON at Noon HTC local, OFF at Midnight HTC local right now.

The problem as I see it is everyone is choosing the wrong arena, the full one.  If it's about your buddies and they don't want to change to accommodate you then maybe a chat server or something will fulfill your need to bond?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »
For myself that would be great... but then you would face another problem:

LWO 300/100  
LWB 20/150

In other words, you would delay and even magnifiy arena imbalances.

How to deal with this situation?

IMO, have caps run 24 hrs a day..

and start at 50 players.. orange 51/50 blue 20/75, etc...

in truly low times, it might be 20/50 and 2/75.. but about the time 50-100 ppl are logging in, you would quickly get 2 relatively even arenas..

I cant recall hitech's magic number range (was it 100-300?) for a "healthy" main arena.. but I think just running the caps all the time make things much simpler for everyone, easier to predict.. instead of that magic time in the day when they kick in where it is just completely out of whack.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
IMO, have caps run 24 hrs a day..

and start at 50 players.. orange 51/50 blue 20/75, etc...

You aren't serious?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
Or, have caps on all the time so the arena numbers stay closer to each other all the time, doing away with what seems like a greater disparity than it is.

wrongway

That would kill gameplay for those who fly at off hours and have a hard enough time as is finding a fight on giant maps when everyone is in one arena.  I like my idea better.   :)

Offline goxwerd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »
just never have caps go under 150.. or even 200..  When there are that few people on no reason to heard them into arenas.

I dont mind the caps but nothing gets me to be "done for the day" than relogging and finding out the arena with my friends is 170/100 and the other one is 20/150

I feel so bad for the people who play non peak and get locked out for a bit when the caps drop.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
just never have caps go under 150.. or even 200..  When there are that few people on no reason to heard them into arenas.

I dont mind the caps but nothing gets me to be "done for the day" than relogging and finding out the arena with my friends is 170/100 and the other one is 20/150

So if the minimum cap is 200...

... LWO 220/200 and LWB 20/ 200 will be better for you? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »
After reading all the posts in this thread,
I have 3 points to make.

#1 Arena Caps are Stupid

#2 Arena Caps are Stupid

#3 Arena Caps are Stupid

Question: When the ww1 arenas first opened and caps were at 850 all the time...
Did anyone once complain that there were to many in one arena and not enough in the other?
Answer: No
Case rested. :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »
<facepalm>

It has already been stated a million times that the caps have brought in new business and have kept the arena's in 'good health'.  I generally agree with that line of thought and believe HTC has the hard stats to back it up.  So to say "The caps suck get rid of them" is an incomplete thought and should be ignored.  I personally feel the caps are an incomplete solution to the given said 'arena health' problem.  There has to be a better way to address it.  I have offered up what imo is a very reasonable solution.  The game's population right now only makes for an 'unhealthy' arena during US peak hours which is probably around a 5 hour gap of time.  I also believe that stats will show that on a daily basis, the arena's max entry flow rate can be predicted through simple statistics.  If you initiate the caps an hour or so before people start getting home from work and logging in, Blue will fill up ten times as fast, minimizing the problem at hand.  Also, the caps aren't needed all the way till midnight, especially on weekdays.  Maybe on Friday's and Saturdays, but that's it. 

The caps could be managed more efficiently.  My 2cents.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
Join and u will fite against tens of player because the other arena is close :).  Really want to have caps then have caps that make both arenas close in numbers not like it is right now with one arena with 300 and the other 1/2 as many.  And shawk is right no one complained when there was no caps while wwi arena was released.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
And shawk is right no one complained when there was no caps while wwi arena was released.

It has nothing to do with active players whining about it.  It has to do with expanding the game and the statistics to prove that two arenas produce two healthier arenas and more subscriptions.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
I'm sure if the players who don't want caps would pay the difference of lost subscription to HTC till the end of HTC's life cycle, they would surely get rid of the caps.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
You aren't serious?

I think it would be better than the 300/100 and 20/150 when the caps kick in. (exaggerated i know)

if there were ALWAYS caps in place, the arenas would be pretty much even all the time. hence my question about "healthy" arena population, I think hitech said it was sowewhere between 100-300 people per arena -- and it seems to be a trade secret :)

whatever the case.. let's say if the aim is 100 people per arena, it does not make sense to let 300 people into one arena for some of the day, then arbitrarily (i know it's not arbitrary) start imposing limits.. makes more sense to me to just have the limits work throughout the day... i think that would end up with 2 equally populated arenas 24 hrs a day.

well that's how i see it.. (i never go to orange, unless it happens to be the underpopulated one)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:09:07 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
The cap system suks point blank and it doesn't help new people stay in reguardless what people say.  Nobody likes it so they keep it in, I have the same problems Kvuo.  I've not heard one person say they like the cap system all it does is prevent good fights because of the lesser numbers in the arena's.  More red con's the better. 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep