Author Topic: Elevator trim question  (Read 409 times)

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
Elevator trim question
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
Hi guys
With combat trim off, does trimming the elevator up/down only alter the neutral resting place when there is no controller input and/or does it allow the elevators to travel further?
I understand what trim does, just not how it is modeled in game.
Sitting on the runway in an La5fn and using external F3 view I can see the elevators move slowly whilst adjusting the mid/neutral point with my trim buttons but when I give them max controller inputs from the stick, they don't seem to move up/down any further than before.  They then just come to rest at the point set by trimming.
My question really is how does trimming the elevators up when trying to pull out of a dive work, if travel is not increased by trimming? 
To pull out of a dive I would have my stick all the way back.  If I pull all the way back and hit the trim up button I can feel more elevator.
If travel is not increased, how does this work.
I don't know if there was/is a trim tab on the La5 which has not been graphically shown/animated in game.
Maybe I am missing something.
Any help, just curious.

Stones
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Elevator trim question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
Good evening Stones,
click the following link, it should help you understand exactly how Trim is affected in game, both with Elv, Rudder, aileron trim and Combat Trim

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/trim/trim.htm

please post back here, if you have any more questions, or need more help

hope this helps ~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
I believe the planes models don't have trim tabs modelled, so your trim adjustments are translated as "move the control surface just a bit this way" (which you physically see as the whole elevator moving up or down) to simulate being trimmed for neutral control input.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »
To quickly answer your specific question regarding trimming out of a dive:

When you're diving in a plane in which the controls stiffen the game can't actually make it hard for you to pull the stick back, so instead the elevators travel only a limited amount of their maximum deflection.  Like real trim tabs, when you trim up the tabs deflect downward into the airstream assisting the pilot in overcoming the airstream and raising the elevators.  The pilot can do this because the trim tabs are smaller than the elevators and are therefore easier to deflect into a fast airflow.  With this assistance, the elevators are now able to move to maximum deflection (i.e. relaxing the pressure on the stick).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »
Thanks very much for the help guys.  Was just a little confused in how it was applied in the game <S>

Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet