Author Topic: How AH is going for me with my rig! NOT GOOD!  (Read 789 times)

ovmech

How AH is going for me with my rig! NOT GOOD!
« on: August 16, 2000, 09:22:00 PM »
I consider myself a veteran sim player but with my current machine I am only able to play the game in 800X600 res. In my opinion it is totally unplayable with that setting unless you fly a C47 or bomber. I am unable to keep the aircraft steady even under smooth stick inputs (even after calibration)and cannot draw a smooth target lock without the aircraft cockpit jumping around and a honking stall horn at good speeds. I get 40-50 FPS and have a good connection. The other thing I have a problem with is when I get shot I don't take any damage but always loose a wing either right or left. Everytime I get shot!
I'm frustrated with the damage I've been taking, the cockpit and aircraft dance.

One of my questions is does anyone else have good results in fighters in 800X600 res? If so what do you have or where can you find info on stick settings?

I have cranked up my res to a playable offline frame rate and found the flight model gets smoother as the res goes up. Am I correct in that observation?

I have been unable to find info to modified stick settings to res issues posted by anybody or support options.

Another question is with my cpu would I get better and worthwhile results with a new video card to increase my res settings for online play?

My choice will be the Elsa Erazor X geoforce 256 with 32 meg AGP. I have found it for $150.00 and think it is a good price. Opinions?

My next option will be a new mobo and cpu.

But do I need to do that?

What do yu consider the optimum res for good results in AH? What do the hot sticks here use?

My set up:
Celeron 300a OC 450
128 meg mem
19 inch monitor
Diamond V550 AGP (I boost with Powerstrip)
SB Live Value
Resources 82%
Min taskbar settings.

------------------
ovmech, Lt Col Commanding
  ovmech@cfl.rr.com  
82nd Fighter Group
82nd Fighter Group

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
 I'm not going to be much help other than my eye brows were raised WAY up in seeing your resources at 82%. Thats not very good to be honest. If you clear that up by finding our whats getting loaded and running in the back ground you may find things run much smoother for you.

-Westy

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
well if ur nose is bouncing it has to be ur controls/settings.

as for the 82%...yuck...when at the desk top, press 'ctrl alt del' all at once in sequence, and a menu will pop up. u can use the mouse to highlight items from that menu and then press 'end task' to delete them. u want only 'explorer' and 'systray' showing when ur done. this will free up much needed resources for game play. if u reboot, the items will reload again, so this change is not permanent.

i too have the 300a OCd to 450...diamond monsters in SLI mode, 128mem. i run 1000x700 16bit. 60FPS spit 9 climbing out from field, front view.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2000, 09:20:00 PM »
System" Athlon 750  asus v6600 agp  I get 59 fps at 800x600x16 but at 1080x840x16 the rate goes all over the place (20 to 60) with major slow downs with denser background.  Does z buffer or changes in refresh rate help ?  

ovmech

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2000, 09:46:00 PM »
I've played with the z buffer and the other one but it makes it slower.

I reset my desktop res to 1040X768(32bit) and also select that for AH but here is what I see...... in tower 15fps... in cockpit otr 17 fps rolling..... 21 fps... climb out........23-26 fps... with clouds... 16 fps, 25k about 26-30 fps.

I think my set up is showing its age....

Hey I even get 1 fps in the highest res too!  

Thanks guys for your inputs! <S>

We will see what kinda results I get from the new video card.

ov

funked

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2000, 11:51:00 AM »
Ov I have noticed some bizzare control behavior at low framerates.  I'm probably going to upgrade my machine too.