Author Topic: Buying CH USB Pro Pedals in the UK from the US - anyone done it?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
I NEED RUDDER PEDALS.
I've looked at the prices for CH USB pedals here in the UK and I'm still laughing having compared them to US prices. Have any of you UK based guys bought hardware from the States and if so who from and how did it go ??

Sparks

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Buying CH USB Pro Pedals in the UK from the US - anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 08:03:00 AM »
Hmm having bought some CPU,s from the states be aware that UK customs will want their pound of flesh as it comes through, so the price you pay will not be what it originally appears.
But you are correct in the UK the prices are ridiculous.

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »
What would customs want/take for a product coming thru? I mean its declared and even if they open it up it obviously aint a thermonuclear detonator  
Honestly curious

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
I bought Ch Pro Pedals USB from the US through Chips 'n bits. This is mostly 'cos you can't buy 'em in HK (no one stocks them). But the price was OK, and even the DHL costs are reasonable. Not sure about UK customs, but HK doesn't charge for shipping stuff like that in - and I'd guess even the loons in HM Customs can't staple too much extra onto the price tag, considering it's not exactly in the same range of value as a CPU... I say go for it! CH Products' website has a link for companies that sell their stuff over the net - CH themselves are a bit more expensive.
One word of caution - if you don't have Windows 98SE, the pedals may not work. And if you have VIA chipsets, you'll have to upgrade to the latest drivers.
Once I got those 2 points covered, all was well, although I have no idea how to map the brakes to the pedals, as they're treated as axes, not buttons.

-dead- out
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »
214th - yep the old chancellor will be in for his bit but I still think it may be worthwhile. BTW we really must have a beer soon you being so local - think I spoke to you before  

JimBear - Customs and Exise handle the taxes - 17.5% Value Added Tax (read US Sales Tax) and Import Duty at some no doubt ludicrous rate (brought a CD player in once and it was 33 %) and it has to be paid when the goods arrive.

-dead- thanks for the name - will look - I have SE and Intel chipset so hopefully will be OK.

Sparks

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2000, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm in the UK also. Sparks - did u manage to get some pedals in the end? If so what was the price and where from? I really want some!!

UK prices are ridiculous (as usual  ).

Cheers.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
 http://www.fscentral.com

That's a link to Flight Sim Central.  They sell nothing but Flight Sim stuff, and can ship to the UK.  From what I've heard they've got a couple of shipping methods, one that can be pretty spendy and a more reasonable option.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2000, 07:15:00 PM »
Dowding
Not Yet.. still looking. Prices are better but after you add shipping, VAT and duty it's about the same.

Thanks for the link SOB - bit pricey though - seen the USB ones for $99.

Ever hopeful

Sparks

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2000, 07:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the link SOB. Do either of u lads know the difference between USB and standard port pedals (except in price  )? Do they make alot of difference re ACM?

BTW Fradim once told me something about some European made pedals (German I think) if I see him online, I'll ask him about them.

In the meantime, I'll continue looking...
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2000, 05:47:00 AM »
I think both the USB and Game Port pedals are identical, except for where they plug in.  Also, since USB is a digital interface, the USB pedals have to convert the analog pot values into digital to send through the USB port to their driver.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »
Heh, when I, err, I mean a friend buys products from the US, I ship them to a friend, who repacks it, and sends to me.

That way my friend avoids th 25% sales tax we have here  .

Damned customs opened a shipment of books, and forced me to pay sales tax. Not again  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grnherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2000, 08:05:00 PM »
Here's what I did for my mate airsid .

Bought CH standard pedals for 37 bucks from BUY.com I think they are around 40 US now . Cost 7 US to have them shipped to me here in Michigan , USA . Then I taped  the hell out of the package and shipped them air to UK for 37 USD . Now they took 3 weeks still to get to him even with air shipment . I sent joystick before and that was a "small package" shipment and only 22 USD's and took only 5 days . But the pedals were over the limit on size (they use a tape measure too   so they had to be shipped "large package" .

Far as I know he didn't have to pay duty as it was a gift . He has also said that it was very hard to find pedals in UK .

USB Ch Pro Pedals shipped to me here were 102 USD's and change . They ain't cheap here either and with the shipping as they are quit a bit heavier and bigger package would I am sure cost like hell to ship "air" .

I bought a simped set once too , they were 187 USD's to here in Michigan , took 3 weeks or so to get here , they went ground .

Me I like the standard CH ones the best , wish they would have them in USB too .

I don't read this board much anymore but if anyone wants more info etc , just mail me .

cheers spro

My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2000, 09:19:00 PM »
Yep Sparks, if you can tet someone to buy some on your behalf and then send them to you as a 'gift' then you don't have to worry about extra tax.  Hell even get them to wrap in nice paper!  

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2000, 06:35:00 AM »

Originally posted by Replicant:
if you can tet someone to buy some on your behalf and then send them to you as a 'gift'  

Hell u would have it made like sid , lol  

They have a buy.com for UK but they don't stock the Ch gear , u might try getting ahold of them and see if they would start stocking them ? Seems like there would be a good market for them . I called them here in US and they wouldn't ship overseas direct   , that's when I learned about the UK store .
 http://www.gb.buy.com/

Here's the joystick's link , they have lots more than two months ago already , but no peds yet that I could see   http://www.gb.buy.com/comp/Dept.asp?DeptID=11111

gl Sparks  , spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks 'Spro - Financial drought means pedals have to wait a little while but i have freinds in Atlanta who I might be able to convince to buy them for me and ship them - thanks for the links

Sparks