Author Topic: what I think I might buy, what do you think?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
what I think I might buy, what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2001, 08:53:00 PM »
yup-- I need this  :)  however it seems it will be a short period of time before its released..and when it is how much will it cost??

This week's favorite motherboard: "8KHA+"

This AMD, DDR super over-clocking planar will definitely blow away most competition of its class. 8KHA+ will be one of the most reviewed and talked about motherboards from Epox International and probably in the computer industry. This KT266A N.B chipset planar supports up to 1.5 Gig of DDR memories, supports 266 MHz FSB and of course, Morgan and Palomino tested. It is loaded with 1 AGP 4X slot, 6 PCI slots, ATA 100, supports up to 6 USB connectors, a Full-On Debugger Card for easy recognition. Combining with the Epox International’s award winning (TSD) Tech-Support Department. Due to recent tragic events and typhoons in Eastern Asia, this planar has been delayed until Oct 4th for distribution.

image and specs,EP-8KHA+

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: -ammo- ]
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2001, 11:59:00 PM »
ammo,
for good cpu cooling, get the Alpha PAL8045. You can get it at Pcnut.com (great site, the owner is a great dude) its is bar none THE best Socket A cooler at the moment.
You can go to www.hardocp.com  www.sharkyextreme.com  and www.anandtech.com  and look for reviews.

There is no better Socket A cooler right now, not even close.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2001, 01:52:00 AM »
To cool your AMD chip get a Vantec 6035 Copper.. probably one of the best if not the best cooler you can get for decent price. I Have one on mine.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
I have had my components for a new computer since 17 August.  It is still not running.  I haven't even got it to boot.  I am on my second 1.33Ghz CPU and my second EPOX 8k7A.  Still no joy. A friend is going to look at it while I am gone for a week.  He has a 300W PS and will hook that to it.  Hopefully he can get it running.

I believe it may be my PS (300W).  I have an Antec SX830.

If he has no joy, I will RMA the board again and request the Epox 8KHA+.

Ah!  Such is life!!    :)
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
Damn Swagger...  I use the Antec 1030 with 300w PS and its been problem free with an ASUS board.  Heeeeyyy  have u put other systems together in the past? +)
Good luck

SKurj

Oh guess I should plug the Antec Case:  I run it with 4 case fans (only comes with 2 but has brackets for the other 2), a blue orb(cooler) on GF2 MX, 2 HDDs, CDRW, WBK38 cooler(60+cfm fan)  all told 8 fans, and an average # of devices and have not had a problem with the thing whatsoever.  Prolly the smartest purchase I've made in a loong time +) cept they didn't have the black one in stock +(

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by bloom25:
I don't know the exact model ammo, but I do know that Anandtech's brand new Athlon XP article was done on a kt266a board.  They listed the model and manufacturer somewhere in the article.   :)  www.anandtech.com  or find my Athlon XP post just a couple days ago and click on the anandtech link.

Bloom, is there another make model of motherboard than the epox i mentioned that utilizes the VIA KT266A chipset?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2001, 12:07:00 PM »
VIA KT266/KT266A mobos

The ASUS KT266A boards aren't mentioned on their website yet..

SKurj

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Ammo, Epox,MSI(Microstar), and Shuttle have Via 266A boards out now. You can find them on www.pricewatch.com. You can buy the Epox at http://www.goroyalpc.com/  or http://www.pcdynamic.com/  for $137. They went up $10 in the past few hours.

I've about settled on the Epox board though. Gigabyte will have one out, and so will Asus and no doubt others.

Between the MSI and the Shuttle, I prefer the MSI which has more features, and it will support a Palomino out of the box (as will Epox). (it has a RED pcb, too, thats gotta count for somethin'     ;)

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Don't forget to get the TM Cougar HOTAS  :D

I just pre-ordered mine.

Gonna keep my CH Pro USB rudder pedals for now until I see what the "new" TM pedals that plug into the Cougar are like.